Backward Ejection Jam

This is a discussion on Backward Ejection Jam within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if anyone ever had this happen. Yesterday I went to the range to run a box or two through my PF9, when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Backward Ejection Jam

Backward Ejection Jam

I was wondering if anyone ever had this happen. Yesterday I went to the range to run a box or two through my PF9, when about after one box I got a FTE. Since I never had an FTE with this gun before, I was a bit surprised to see that I could not clear the jam at the range, so I ended my session and went home to look at the problem further. I got a flashlight and looked down the barrel and I could see that a cartridge was turned completely around. I finally got it out and to my surprise it was a spent cartridge.
    I'm a noob with semi's so I was not familiar with this type of jam, anyone know how this could have happened ?
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because it's not a Glock... That's kind of strange. Keep a short piece of dowel rod in your range bag to clear squibs and backward cases.
    Oldpsufan and 357and40 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    My PF9, during its extremely short career with me, always managed to find new and amazing ways to fail every time I fired it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Because it's a Kel-Tec?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Kind of what I expected, but I really thought I'd get more responses telling me what a POS I bought. Thanks for the dowel suggestion.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpsufan View Post
    Since I never had an FTE with this gun before, I was a bit surprised to see that I could not clear the jam at the range ... a cartridge was turned completely around.
    Any FTE tendency has the possibility of turning around before the slide comes forward, sure. Haven't seen the backwards condition on spent cases often, but in the few pistols I've had that tended to have FTE's I have seen it a few times. Not as frequent as, say, the spent case being half-in, half-out of the ejection port when the slide goes forward, but not impossible.

As suggested: have a length of dowel in your range bag, for clearing these things.

I've experienced FTE's with an early Browning BDM, a couple of Kahr PM9 and P380 pistols, a Kel-Tec PF9. Don't recall more than one or two FTE's on a Kel-Tec P3AT I had for awhile, as it seemed to fling spent cases fairly well. Couldn't say the same about the PF9 I've got.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Kind of what I expected, but I really thought I'd get more responses telling me what a POS I bought. Thanks for the dowel suggestion.
    No matter what we say here, it's only a POS if YOU think it is. I have seen too many weird things on ranges to pass judgement on a weapon after one incident. I was shooting my CZ85B one day and a cartridge ejected against the divider, ricocheted back and fell into the slide as I fired the next shot. Talk about crazy! I have also seen $2500 1911s do what you described during matches, but that does not reflect on the quality of the weapon.

Unless it becomes common, just chalk it up to an anomaly and move on.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    I can only speak to what a POS the PF9 I bought proved to be. Didn't mean to disappoint you with my lack of vociferousness.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    No matter what we say here, it's only a POS if YOU think it is. I have seen too many weird things on ranges to pass judgement on a weapon after one incident. I was shooting my CZ85B one day and a cartridge ejected against the divider, ricocheted back and fell into the slide as I fired the next shot. Talk about crazy!
    Yup.

I've had a big of gunge get stuffed under the extractor on a couple different quality pistols, and ejection performance suffered until the gunge was cleaned out. At which point, performance returned to normal. OP, it could easily be that some crud has gotten into a crevice, in there. Something worth looking into. A dental pick type tool can assist, in rooting around in such crevices.
    mprp likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thank you for the sensible responses that depicted what might have happened.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    FWIW, I had an unspent one feed backward. Of course nothing went bang when I pulled the trigger.
    I had to shove it out (carefully) with a cleaning rod. Carefully, because the rod was pushing against the primer-- ach.

Again FWIW, it was a .40 our of a SW 99c.

I've since tried to deliberately load a magazine with a round going in backward, not much luck with that and I doubt it would feed. Murphy at work.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I had that happen to me once with my Browning Hi-Power when I was shooting some cheap ammo. After putting many thousands of rounds through it, it has become a bit picky when it comes to ammo. I think it was actually a stovepipe FTE and I simply made it worse while trying to clear it. I just happened to be shooting with a bunch of LEOs that were doing night training. The instructor stopped everybody on the line to show them how to clear it. He pulled out one of those cheap Bic ballpoint pens (white tube with the blue cap) out of his pocket and pointed out that it was the perfect size to clear that type of FTE. My Hi Power caused me some embarrassment due to several FTEs, but it did make a good learning experience for everyone.

Administrator
    What brand of ammo were you shooting? If it was Winchester W B then you could have had an inconsistent round with enough power not to be a squib but, sub powered enough to extract but, not fully eject.

And then the cartridge did a little dance in the ejection port.

That is not nearly as common as some other malfs but, you sure are not the first person that it has ever happened to.

It is a fight stopper malf in a self-defense semi-auto so thankfully it rarely happens.

You also might want to carefully check out your extractor for damage and make sure that it's still properly tensioned.

Also if that is your S.D. pistol then grip it hard and not like you are casually plinking at sheets of paper.

Grip it with as much force as you would be gripping it with if the bad guy was running at you with a 27" Machete.

That will maximize the energy available for the slide to operate.

Folks tend to practice their self-defense shooting with much too casual and relaxed of a grip and some semi-automatics just do not like that.

And lastly use a low friction slide/rail lube that will stay put.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    QKshooter hit the nail on the head in that you need to ensure that the extractor is tight. If the gun has been running well that's the first thing I'd check on a PF9 that started having a FTE problem. The rest of his advice is solid, but I'd start at the extractor and work from there.
    QKShooter likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The gun has performed flawlessly out of the box and has about 500 rounds through it up until then. I looked at the casing and it said "win" on it, then I remembered I was shooting some bargain re-manufactured rounds from Freedom Munitions. Here I am blaming the gun, I should have known better but like I said, I'm a noob.
    QKShooter likes this.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links