When can you draw?

This is a discussion on When can you draw? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is an event to discuss! Caught on Video: Young Man Brutally Beaten, Stomped and Kicked in Horrific ?Mob-Style? Attack | Video | TheBlaze.com As ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: When can you draw?

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

When can you draw?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure. That is a lot of people for me to try to keep track of. Even with my rifle and a 40 round mag I would be very leery of trying to intervene. Not to mention that if I did have to use my firearm, I might be portrayed as a LEO wannabe.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

One problem with defending another's life is that you are putting your defense in their hands. You intervene, they tell the police that they "didn't feel that they were in danger of extreme physical injury or death" and you now have a very big problem on your hands. The last paragraph of the article says that so far the victim hasn't pressed charges. This could leave you with the victim telling police that they had provoked it but they new the people and knew they wouldn't "take it too far" or something similar. In a situation like that, you are better off calling 911 and being a good witness.

In defending your own life you can state that you did feel your life was threatened. In defending your family you can most likely count on them saying that they felt their life was threatened. In defending a stranger, you never know what they will say.
    JDE101 likes this.

VIP Member
    That footage looks more like staged WWE than a genuine beat-down.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Call 911 and be a good witness. Period. My firearms are to protect me and my loved ones. Period. I am not a LEO, nor am I a LEO wannabe! Unless you know the ENTIRE situation, stay out of it! It could have been a gang initiation, in which case you are the one who would end up being on the short end! Maybe the "beatee" assaulted a girl at the party! Unless you know ALL THE FACTS, you are better off calling 911 and being a good witness and letting the "professionals" handle it! Just my .02. Can you say "Zimmerman"?????
    Str8upguy likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Well we all know what Joe Biden and his shotgun would do.

Seriously though, call 911 and make the surveillance tape available to them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

These questions seem to come up all the time. If my family or me is not the subject of the abuse, I'm not going to do anything but be the best witness I can be. Humphrey Bogart said it best in "Casablanca"...I stick my neck out for nobody. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    What if it is your son that is being pounded on would you still think the neighbor should just be a good witness?

I am not sure if I can watch somebody get beaten this bad without doing something about it while my wife was calling 911 and describing me as well as what is happening. I firmly believe that if you went out there with as many guns as you could hold and hollered for them to leave or you were going to start shooting then they would disappear in a hurry. As a matter of fact if you went out unarmed and hollered they would scatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    I firmly believe that if you went out there with as many guns as you could hold and hollered for them to leave or you were going to start shooting then they would disappear in a hurry. As a matter of fact if you went out unarmed and hollered they would scatter.
    No offense, but I think that is naive. People's courage (or probably more appropriately stupidity) is greatly augmented when they've got numbers on their side.

They may scatter, and they may not. What are you going to do if they don't?
    JDE101 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

These types of situations are at the core of what your moral beliefs are. Can I help? Should I help? What ifs are all over the place. Maybe they run if I pull out my AR, maybe they don't, Then what?

I would help. I don't care what happened to Z, it does not factor into my SD at all. IMO if it does, you may need to reevaluate your SD plans....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    No offense, but I think that is naive. People's courage (or probably more appropriately stupidity) is greatly augmented when they've got numbers on their side.

They may scatter, and they may not. What are you going to do if they don't?
    I would do whatever it took to defend myself. None of these punks want to get shot. Until it happened I can't tell you what I would do but I am saying I would have a very hard time just being a good witness while somebody gets beaten possibly to death.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    What if it is your son that is being pounded on would you still think the neighbor should just be a good witness?

I am not sure if I can watch somebody get beaten this bad without doing something about it while my wife was calling 911 and describing me as well as what is happening. I firmly believe that if you went out there with as many guns as you could hold and hollered for them to leave or you were going to start shooting then they would disappear in a hurry. As a matter of fact if you went out unarmed and hollered they would scatter.
    That command voice I keep hearing about... As someone else said, what does one do when the six of them don't adhere to your story line?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I'm willing to bet that the one who took the beating in this felt he did something stupid enough not to want to report it. If so, I bet he doesn't do it again. If not, well, even though it was pretty much an unfair fight, at least it was a bit refreshing to see that it was kicks and fists rather than the all too usual knife and or gun involved.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Depends. Assuming it's for real and the guy is really getting pounced.... 911, and then I would probably intervene in some manner if really necessary. Depends upon the type of attack, etc. In that situation , there is an obvious "leader" .... and once he's knocked out, the others probably won't be as willing to want to continue it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I'm willing to bet that the one who took the beating in this felt he did something stupid enough not to want to report it. If so, I bet he doesn't do it again. If not, well, even though it was pretty much an unfair fight, at least it was a bit refreshing to see that it was kicks and fists rather than the all too usual knife and or gun involved.
    Or he is lying somewhere dead????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links