LCR .22 LR first shots...

This is a discussion on LCR .22 LR first shots... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took the LCR .22 lr to the range yesterday and started to break it in. I think it's a quality gun but the trigger ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hud556

Thread: LCR .22 LR first shots...

I took the LCR .22 lr to the range yesterday and started to break it in. I think it's a quality gun but the trigger leaves a bit to be desired. It has a very heavy pull (I've read 11-14 lbs) with a large hump but it seems to break fairly clean. After 200 rounds the cylinder began to bind and the trigger pull became inconsistent. I put another 50 rounds downrange and called it quits. I'm thinking about getting the XS sight but I'm in no rush. I like the LCR and as you can see I left with tons of room for improvement.
    Shot from 25 feet

bmcgilvray likes this.

Any idea why it was binding up? In need of lube?

To help with your practice, take a look at the "dot torture" drills here: pistol-training.com Dot Torture
    http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ure-target.pdf
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Any idea why it was binding up? In need of lube?

To help with your practice, take a look at the "dot torture" drills here: pistol-training.com Dot Torture
    http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ure-target.pdf
    It was binding up where the star extractor engages the frame, but with an empty cylinder it rotated freely. I think it was carbon build up but I need to shoot it more to be sure of what's going on with it. Thanks for the link.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    What type ammo were you shooting? Some .22 ammo is very dirty (especially LRN bulk) and the blow by can foul a revolver pretty quickly. Clean your revolver thoroughly and try it. If that doesn't fix it, send it back to Ruger. Their CS is great and they will make it right!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

...I think I just got slapped up side da head wit a BIG case of gottahaveone!!! That's neat...and good shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    What type ammo were you shooting? Some .22 ammo is very dirty (especially LRN bulk) and the blow by can foul a revolver pretty quickly. Clean your revolver thoroughly and try it. If that doesn't fix it, send it back to Ruger. Their CS is great and they will make it right!
    This was CCI mini mags. I did fire about 25 rounds of federal bulk but it was grouping several inches to the left and low. I also fired several rounds of BVAC 34 grain, and they grouped identical to the 40 grain CCI's. The gun wasn't filthy when I was done, so I will certainly put another 200 through it the next time I take it out just to see what's going on. I did a good bit of dry firing today and all seems well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...I think I just got slapped up side da head wit a BIG case of gottahaveone!!! That's neat...and good shooting!
    Thanks, you won't regret it!

The LCR 22 is a neat little revolver and is a good choice for training, I like mine so much I bought another in 22 Magnum. For some reason the 22 Magnum example has a lighter trigger pull. Both are keepers.
    Attached Images

Nice shooting mag! I'm very interested in trying an LCR in .38, I'm betting it'll be more comfortable to shoot than a J -frame...

I've had the LCR in .38 and .357. Really liked them. Would love to have one in .22 or the .357 again.

Links