SCAR envy

SCAR envy

This is a discussion on SCAR envy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, I'm not talking about some cool reminder of bad-assery in my youth. My neighbor just came back form vacation and was showing me his ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brademan

Thread: SCAR envy

SCAR envy

No, I'm not talking about some cool reminder of bad-assery in my youth.

My neighbor just came back form vacation and was showing me his new rifle (MY kind of vacation!) He told me of the dealer and what a good experience it wa to deal with them and so I took their card that he gave me and loopked them up on line. GREAT selectina d OK prices. As I cruised the listings, I found that they have several SCARs in stock and ready to go (both 16s and 17s). I have lots of 5.56 rifles so I asked about the .308 and was told they have plenty.

I could have a black one for $2900. They'd throw in two extra factory magazines. Shipping to me is only $40, which is competitive. I can have my LGS do the transfer for $40, which basically means that I end up with a free magazine for about what one would cost me here.

I thought long and hard, but.........buying a gun that costs more than a mortgage payment is just not in the cards at the moment. I'll have to watch this one fly away and work harder on that lottery win.

Sigh.

Maybe me neighbor will let me shoot his.......
    QKShooter likes this.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

You could always try the "Like a good neighbor.." jingle.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

There cool, but, id rather have 3 different caliber ARs than one SCAR
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I had SCAR envy pretty bad a couple years ago. I wanted a FDE SCAR 17 so bad I couldn't see straight. They were hard to find, prices were 3000 plus at most places that did have them, and spare mags were as rare as Unicorn tears. I realized it wasn't in the cards at the time. I have sense moved on. I also realized I could have (and have since purchased) another pistol and another completely decked out AR with no expenses spared for the price of a bare bones SCAR. Plus, its expensive enough to feed AR's. .308 would be an expensive gun to plink and practice with so I know it would spend more time collecting dust and getting fondled than actually shot. I just couldn't justify it once I actually thought about it.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I too wanted one of those very badly. I was even going to go so far as to trade the StG.58 I built 12 years ago from a brand new Austrian parts kit to help finance it.

Then I woke up. A SCAR 17 just isn't in the cards for me and I've learned to enjoy what I have...and be thankful I have it! Nice rifles though.

Bushmaster has their ACR for a bit cheaper, but it just isn't the same as having an FN.

i have to agree with orginal poster i "want" one i have two good friends who have them so i get to shoot them and evertime i do i want one of my own even more but the price tag is just so had to swallow. my one buddy is an FFL and he even calls me evertime he can get one and asks if i want it this time around, hes going to get me one day to say yes lol

Links