Ammunition You Carry and ammunition taken to the range?

This is a discussion on Ammunition You Carry and ammunition taken to the range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I look at this article I'm amazed of the concern expressed by the report and FBI in this case. FBI: Man at Michigan theater ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By thebucketeer
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By myrkr

Thread: Ammunition You Carry and ammunition taken to the range?

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Ammunition You Carry and ammunition taken to the range?

As I look at this article I'm amazed of the concern expressed by the report and FBI in this case. FBI: Man at Michigan theater had armor, gun, phony CIA identification | Fox News

The person in this case had 34 rounds, which I carry 11 in the firearm and 28 in spare magazines. They also found 111 round in his vehicle? When I go to the range I'm normally carrying 500 of 9mm or 357 Sig and 500 22LR. Anyone else see the concern.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

Why was the guy wearing body armor at a movie theater? I read the piece on Drudge and there are lots of unanswered questions. The guy flashed a fake "CIA agent" ID to the cops. It also appears he was open carrying, which is why they got called to begin with.

I think the ammo numbers are just histrionics from the press. He is being held for showing fake federal ID, not for anything related to the weapons from what I can see. The guy clearly has a screw or two loose.

This article has a bit more detail: FBI: Man Arrested At Theater Had Armor, Gun, Fake CIA ID CBS Detroit
    kb2wji likes this.

VIP Member
    He was arrested for presenting a phony CIA ID card. Everything else just spiced the story up.

JMHO, but I think they appropriately profiled this guy. Body armor & fake ID, something is just wrong there.

My range is about an hour drive, so when we go, we go for the day. I never know how much we'll shoot, so I'll load up entire cans of ammo, and bring 10 or more firearms. I think context here is key. Me getting pulled over on a country road with an entire arsenal wouldn't even raise an eyebrow on our local LEOs. Pulling into a movie theater parking lot with the same, I would expect a different reaction.
    Chuck808 and kb2wji like this.

My take on the story is that they were concerned about someone impersonating a federal officer. The stuff about how much ammo he had was factual stuff, after the search.

I will agree that the grabbers are all over this "NO ONE NEEDS THAT MUCH AMMO!" stuff. The same way they are aghast going on and on about "ANYONE can buy THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS OF AMMO ONLINE!!!". So I can see your concern.

Heck, I dont want some wannabe running around pretending to be a federal agent, either.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I see the concern. Body armor to go to a movie? Fake CIA id....

If nothing else, act stupid be treated as if stupid. In this case, he acted as if he were up to no good and is being treated as if he was up to no good.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nuts are nuts.
    OD* likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    No problem with the ammo. Not unusual to have that much readily available to me. I do have a problem with the body armor and the fake CIA ID card. Those 2 things would be enough to raise a legitimate concern. Sounds like a good arrest to me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I guess I wasn't clear as my question involves the medias and LEO fixation with what I consider a small number of cartridges? Heck 3 weeks ago I had 20k of 22 LR that 4 of us purchased for our training business.

Again I'm busted amazed at the media!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    He was arrested for presenting a phony CIA ID card. Everything else just spiced the story up.

JMHO, but I think they appropriately profiled this guy. Body armor & fake ID, something is just wrong there.

My range is about an hour drive, so when we go, we go for the day. I never know how much we'll shoot, so I'll load up entire cans of ammo, and bring 10 or more firearms. I think context here is key. Me getting pulled over on a country road with an entire arsenal wouldn't even raise an eyebrow on our local LEOs. Pulling into a movie theater parking lot with the same, I would expect a different reaction.
    Makes sense to me. Myself and a friend go shooting, we will each bring 5-6 weapons... Everything from pistols, revolvers, AKs, ARs, bolt action rifles, cans of ammo, binoculars, gloves, etc. Being pulled over on the highway heading to a range would be no issue. Being stopped in a school parking lot with body armor and a ski mask... Might be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by thebucketeer View Post
    Why was the guy wearing body armor at a movie theater?
    Because he was in Flint, MI. That's reason enough to wear body armor anywhere.
    British by birth. American by choice.

I agree with earlier posts that there is something not right with this guy, but to answer your question. I usually carry 100+ rds when going to the range for each handgun and some lesser amount if I am going to shoot my hunting rifles. I don't worry about it because I am on my way to the range and can explain that to any officer that pulls me over.

If I was sitting in a movie theater with a bullet proof vest and a fake ID, then I would be concerned.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear as my question involves the medias and LEO fixation with what I consider a small number of cartridges? Heck 3 weeks ago I had 20k of 22 LR that 4 of us purchased for our training business.

Again I'm busted amazed at the media!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My guess is the police weren't worried about the ammo. However they answered questions put to them by the press. No different than the infamous "He had a round in the chamber" hype the media loves to spout.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You guys are overthinking it, he was probably just a huge Bourne Identity fan dressed up and protesting to return the movie to theaters
    onacoma likes this.

I had posted a link to this news story this morning, first I heard about it was last night. I don't live all that far from Flint, just far enough that I don't feel the need to wear ody armor to a movie. I did carry my Glock when I went to see World War Z last month though. But then if I am out and about I am carrying a gun anyways.

As far as the amount of ammo, yeah I think there is no reason for hand wringing, gashing of teeth and calls for stricter laws. When I go to the range I have anywhere from 50 to 300 rounds in my range bag and another 15-25 on my person.

Last year on the way to my church's men's retreat the ammo count in the church equipment trailer must have been over 1000 rounds, maybe 2000, but then again range day was a scheduled activity!

Links