Thoughts/experiences with FNX-45

This is a discussion on Thoughts/experiences with FNX-45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences with an FNX-45. It is being considered for my next handgun purchase. How are the pistol's ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: Thoughts/experiences with FNX-45

Thoughts/experiences with FNX-45

I am interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences with an FNX-45. It is being considered for my next handgun purchase. How are the pistol's ergonomics? How is the recoil? What is your opinion on how it shoots? Your thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I am looking at getting one my self. From what I have researched and asked my local shops, I have not found anything bad about them. One of the employees uses one for a carry weapon. He told me he has put around 3000 rounds in it and not a single problem. The one factor I like on them is how the handle feels and the grip bite I has. I am not sure about others but my hands sweat alot. Specaily when I am at the range so a nice bitey grip I like. All the reviews I have seen and read on the gun make it seem like a nice all around pistol. I am looking at about a month or so till I get one. The one I am looking at runs around 700$ w/ night sights.

I sought this out and purchased it specifically, after some fairly exhaustive research.

It was a horse race between the FNX45 (I wanted the tactical model, but had no use for the suppressor-centric features) and the H&K USP .45

The one and only advantage that the HK had was the fact it had more metal in its' construction. Outside of that, the FNX outpaced the USP in every

one of my comparisons and tests. After about 500 rounds downrange, I am highly confident that I made the right choice.

The weapon is well balanced and intelligently designed with familiar controls and adjustable grips. Even with my light (Inforce APL) attached,
    the balance is still very good and it handles with little recoil, making that all-important second shot happen quickly.

The downside to using this as a regular carry weapon is weight. a 15+1 .45 is HEAVY. I've managed to lighten the load however by choosing
    the Liberty Civil Defense high-velocity frangible round. It's a 78gr projectile that travels upward of 1900fps. That's a lot of hustle, and, frankly, a lot of weight gone.

I highly recommend the FNX45. You won't be sorry.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by firecop70 View Post
    ...I've managed to lighten the load however by choosing the Liberty Civil Defense high-velocity frangible round. It's a 78gr projectile that travels upward of 1900fps. That's a lot of hustle, and, frankly, a lot of weight gone...
    If God had intended that the .45 shoot a 78gr. bullet, He would've had JMB design it that way.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by firecop70 View Post
    I've managed to lighten the load however by choosing
    the Liberty Civil Defense high-velocity frangible round. It's a 78gr projectile that travels upward of 1900fps. That's a lot of hustle, and, frankly, a lot of weight gone.

I highly recommend the FNX45. You won't be sorry.

R.
    For many this defeats the purpose of the heavier bullets of the .45 ACP, but I am curious what impact the lighter bullets have on felt recoil if any?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Absolutely the best ergonomics of any double stack pistol I've ever felt. The Walther PPQ is a very close second. The FNX is a great gun. I'm adding one so its little brother (my FNX 9) will have someone to talk to.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I also have been considering an FNX Tactical but I'm not willing to give up the knock-down power of a 200 gr. slug. I see it as more of a home defense pistol than an EDC. It's still a rather large,heavy gun.

I have the FNX-45 Tactical. They are great guns. I like the night sights on the tactical version plus the longer barrel for slightly more velocity. I have a few hundred rounds through it including 100 Hornady 230 grain Tap +P yesterday at the range with zero issues to date. I occasionally carry mine in remote rural areas with two spare magazines for a total of 46 rounds of .45 ACP +P. My other carry gun in remote rural areas is a Glock G20 SF 10mm. If FNH made a 10mm FNX, I would buy it in a heart beat.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Links