HELP ME!!! Buying my first AR. Help me pick my first.

This is a discussion on HELP ME!!! Buying my first AR. Help me pick my first. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I have several firearms but no ar's. Finally the price has really fell through the floor on ar's. They will drop even more if ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: HELP ME!!! Buying my first AR. Help me pick my first.

HELP ME!!! Buying my first AR. Help me pick my first.

Well I have several firearms but no ar's. Finally the price has really fell through the floor on ar's. They will drop even more if nothing stupid happens so in the next few months or less Im wanting to make my first purchase. The budget is under $1500 however if I can get a colt 6920 for $1500 vs a gun with same specs but not a colt brand for half the price I would much rather save the money.

The gun will be a gun that gets shot once a month if that. (I hardly have time to shoot) Mainly it will be a closet gun for home and ranch defense.

Please give me some key things to look for on AR platforms. I have been looking into these brands

Guns on the top of my list

Colt 6920 socom/6940
    S&W M&P 15T/15X/Sport
    RRA
    PSA-I hear these are as good as guns twice the price with a 1-7 twist and chromed lined bore and feed ramp?
    Spikes Tactical

Guns towards the bottom of my list

Core 15
    DPMS
    stag arms
    cmmg
    Bushmaster
    Windham weaponary

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

BCM Upper, Bolt, Charging Handle.
    Magpul handguards and Backup Sight.
    Complete lower of your choice. CMMG/PSA/RRA/Spikes are all decent and reasonably priced. Avoid Shrubmaster, Stag, DPMS.

Push out two pins, slap it together, and you just built a high-end AR for a couple hundred under budget.

I'd say keep it simple and get a plain ol standard Cold 6920.

Going price on those is around $1000 if you look in the right places. GT Distributors has them for $995 which is where I got mine a few months back. I had to wait a few months but then again I ordered mine right in the middle of the "panic." Not sure of the wait time now but I'd imagine it isn't near as bad.

Use that extra 500 bucks on some accessories or even an Aimpoint PRO red dot sight! They run around 400 from Midway.

Good rifle AND good optic, all for right around your $1500 budget.

Or just use the extra 500 on ammo and shoot it enough that you figure out what you need to add next!
    JDE101 likes this.

This PSA Patrol Rifle package with a AimPoint Pro optic for $999.00 is hard to beat. PSA 16" M4 Premium Patrol Carbine Package - Palmetto State Armory - Rifles - Firearms

Then you would have plenty left for a good sling, MagPul mags, Ammo and rifle bag.

PSA gets all their parts from quality makers.

The Colt and S&W rifles are well made and it's hard to go wrong with them, but more expensive.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    It's a hard choice.What one may like another may not.I've had a Stag for 3 yrs now and no problems at all.

If i bought another maybe a M&P15.I shot one a few times,and i liked it.So many choices which is a good thing.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    BCM Upper, Bolt, Charging Handle.
    Magpul handguards and Backup Sight.
    Complete lower of your choice. CMMG/PSA/RRA/Spikes are all decent and reasonably priced. Avoid Shrubmaster, Stag, DPMS.

Push out two pins, slap it together, and you just built a high-end AR for a couple hundred under budget.
    I have never took a AR apart but im assuming if its that simple I could manage it. So basically a complete lower, upper, BCG, charging handle. What iff I bought a complete lower and complete upper with BCG then it would just be putting those two pieces together?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    I'd say keep it simple and get a plain ol standard Cold 6920.

Going price on those is around $1000 if you look in the right places. GT Distributors has them for $995 which is where I got mine a few months back. I had to wait a few months but then again I ordered mine right in the middle of the "panic." Not sure of the wait time now but I'd imagine it isn't near as bad.

Use that extra 500 bucks on some accessories or even an Aimpoint PRO red dot sight! They run around 400 from Midway.

Good rifle AND good optic, all for right around your $1500 budget.

Or just use the extra 500 on ammo and shoot it enough that you figure out what you need to add next!
    is this just as good or better than a Colt for $1000 with a $400 optic
    PSA 16" M4 Premium Patrol Carbine Package

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    This PSA Patrol Rifle package with a AimPoint Pro optic for $999.00 is hard to beat. PSA 16" M4 Premium Patrol Carbine Package - Palmetto State Armory - Rifles - Firearms

Then you would have plenty left for a good sling, MagPul mags, Ammo and rifle bag.

The Colt and S&W rifles are well made and it's hard to go wrong with them, but more expensive.
    Whats the biggest difference in quality of the PSA and the colts or S&W's.
    I Basically with the aimpoint optic worth 400 the gun is only being bought for 600 which I think is a steal. I do however like the looks of the colts and S&W because I do want a quad rail handguard

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    There is a gun store near me has the S&W M&P15.I think they start out at 750.00 or around that.Wish i had a spare 750.00.

The PSA appears to be a nice rifle but i've never shot one.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

That's an awesome deal...

I've heard nothing but good things about PSA, lower price, high quality, customer service is supposed to be good, they use FN barrels on most (all?) of their ar-15s. I'm happy with mine, like tmoore said, it leaves plenty for mags/sling/stock/handguard/grip/ammo/etc.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    I Basically with the aimpoint optic worth 400 the gun is only being bought for 600 which I think is a steal. I do however like the looks of the colts and S&W because I do want a quad rail handguard
    Well it's certainly cheaper to go that route. I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about PSA. I'm sure others will be along shortly that have more experience with the brand.

Just bought a PSA. Love it!! Go get yourself one
    Burns likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Colt is top of the line in AR-15s, but obviously costs more, in my opinion PSA is nearly just as good, I believe PSA has a lifetime warranty which Colt doesn't offer if I remember correctly. You'll be extremely happy with either one.

S&W is also good, but if you're looking at the lower price ones they normally don't come with a dust cover or forward assist, if that's important to you.

You can change the handguard on any AR-15, brand doesn't matter, there are a lot of options out there.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

The big difference with regards to Colt, is they are the Mil-Spec Rifle made to the TDP requirements and they know how to put a rifle together for the military. For me, I would love to own a Colt, but it's not worth paying their premium. That is my decision though.

PSA has their barrels (not all are hammer forged) made by FN, who also happen to make machine guns for the military. They get their BGCs from Toolcraft who is a well respected maker.

Hammer forged 4150 1/7 barrels: FN (military contracted) FN Manufacturing, LLC Web Site - Gun Barrels

ToolCraft makes it's Premium BCG. (Military contracted) Toolcraft Inc!

Lower parts kits: L.W. Schneider (military contracted) schneider

Forged lowers: machined by Aero Precision Inc

Forged Uppers: Anchor Harvey Aluminum Forging/splintered A (used by Colt etc) more than likely machined by Aero Precision Aluminum Forgings Grades 6061 2014 7075 | Forged Aluminum, Brass, Copper

I had a PSA Midlength that was a fine rifle and I had fun putting 2,000 rounds through it.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

I'm going to complicate things, but these are some other choices you should consider.

This is a NEW BCM 16" M4 MOD 2 $1,331.00 BCM 16 M4 Carbine MOD 2 at G and R Tactical

Colt LE 6920 $1,155.00 Colt LE 6920 at G and R Tactical

BCM RECCE 14.5 MOD 0 FDE $1,392.00 BCM RECCE 14.5 MOD 0 FDE at G and R Tactical

BCM 16 Mid-Length Rifle CUSTOM with B5 SOPMOD Stock $1,115.00 You supply your own handguard (MagPul one would work well). BCM 16 Mid-Length Rifle CUSTOM at G and R Tactical

This is a NIB DD V7. Comes with a FREE Aimpoint PRO! $1509.00 http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...n&key=20010-NS
    sparkykb likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Well I have several firearms but no ar's. Finally the price has really fell through the floor on ar's. They will drop even more if nothing stupid happens so in the next few months or less Im wanting to make my first purchase. The budget is under $1500 however if I can get a colt 6920 for $1500 vs a gun with same specs but not a colt brand for half the price I would much rather save the money.

The gun will be a gun that gets shot once a month if that. (I hardly have time to shoot) Mainly it will be a closet gun for home and ranch defense.

Please give me some key things to look for on AR platforms. I have been looking into these brands

Guns on the top of my list

Colt 6920 socom/6940
    S&W M&P 15T/15X/Sport
    RRA
    PSA-I hear these are as good as guns twice the price with a 1-7 twist and chromed lined bore and feed ramp?
    Spikes Tactical

Guns towards the bottom of my list

Core 15
    DPMS
    stag arms
    cmmg
    Bushmaster
    Windham weaponary

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    I highly recommend you use the Advanced Search function and look up what member jonconsiglio has posted numerous times about ARs. Maybe not the last word, but certainly a deep source of knowledge and experience.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links