22 magnum or 17 HMR ?

This is a discussion on 22 magnum or 17 HMR ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With today's shortage of 22 ammunition looking for an alternative what I have noticed in the store is 22 magnums and also the 17 HMR ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: 22 magnum or 17 HMR ?

22 magnum or 17 HMR ?

With today's shortage of 22 ammunition looking for an alternative what I have noticed in the store is 22 magnums and also the 17 HMR they are available quite often, of these two calipers they seem to be priced about the same, I am looking for somebody who has had both of these calibers who could give me an opinion about target shooting and small game shooting performance between these two, I seem to be a little interested in the 17 it just seems interesting. Of these two calipers what type of group could you expect at 100 yards

2. Remove Ads

I am a big fan of the .17 HMR! I have had a Savage 93R 17 bolt action for about 5 years. It is without a doubt the most accurate rimfire that I own! I currently don't have a .22 mag in a rifle. I do have Super Single Six in .22 mag. The .17 HMR can do most anything a .22 mag but...is MUCH more accurate at 100+ yds. For example last year I shot a fairly large groundhog (17 lbs) at a measured 117 yards. One shot DRT! I would not have tried that with a .22 mag rifle. I had a Marlin that was fairly accurate for 50-75 yds but not much further. The .17 turns the insides of a groundhog into jelly when they are hit. The .22 tends to just make holes through them. The .22 mag is fine round for closer in pest control. BTW, even throughout the ammunition buying frenzy I have had no trouble finding .17 HMR. .22 mag is very scarce around here. Good luck!
    gasmitty and jbum like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

The .17 HMR will generally outperform the .22 WMR in accuracy, but it's very much a function of ammo. The newest 30-gr WMR rounds seem to be substantially more accurate than the traditional 40-45 grain offerings.

I got my first .22 WMR just this spring - a CZ455 Varmint - and it's still in the check-out phase. My biggest problem right now is finding the good ammo - certainly isn't available locally.

For a wealth of comparative info on the various high-performance rimfire rounds, head over to RimfireCentral.com.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links