kel-tec plr-16.....worthless?

This is a discussion on kel-tec plr-16.....worthless? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is the kel-tec plr-16 a legitimate defensive weapon (mainly for HD) or just a mediocre conversation piece? they seem to have no real use and ...

Thread: kel-tec plr-16.....worthless?

kel-tec plr-16.....worthless?

Is the kel-tec plr-16 a legitimate defensive weapon (mainly for HD) or just a mediocre conversation piece? they seem to have no real use and the current price for one seems ridiculous. it would be okay with a vertical fore grip but that classifies it in AOW and you have to go through paperwork and tax stamp. the only thing I could think of is it would make a decent SBR platform. can anyone give any input if they are worth it?PLR16_ammo_5567.jpg
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

2. Remove Ads

It's actually a decent firearm. It'll shoot NATO rounds as well as .223 rem, it's a piston gun so it runs cooler and cleaner than a DGI. It takes standard pmags and it's quite reliable.
    A VFG does make it an AOW, but you can put a magpul AFG on it without violating any laws or paying any taxes.

Is it a "go to war" gun? probably not, but as a fun shooter and even a defensive weapon it's fine. Like any short barreled 5.56, it's loud as hell, so for HD I'd suggest a can and/or active hearing protection.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member
    I tlooks like something from Star Wars. Does it make that pew, pew, pew sound?

If you get one you won't be popular at the range. They are VERY LOUD! The PLR vaguely reminds me of the GAU-5 I carried almost 30 years ago, although I think the PLR is probably more reliable. IMHO I think that there are better choices for a HD gun.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I owned the SU-16C model (same basic design and operating system, plus the buttstock), and while it was a cool gun it just didn't do it for me. The take down was finicky and annoying, and it was not amazingly reliable. I was initially real hot on it but that wore off fast. Just my experience, still think they are cool guns.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I dont see the advantage of a gun like that pver an AR/AK platform weapon.

I've played with one on several occasions as my brother-in-law has one. Despite also loving classic firearms, he's more open-minded about acquiring the "latest and greatest" than my ol' hide-bound self is. He was one of the "first kids on the block" with a PLR 16. The thing works as advertised. It's even entertaining for hosing down yucca plants for fun and profit. 'Specially with his ammo! Photo taken a couple of years back.

For serious use, it has some value for carry in confined spaces such as the cab of a pickup. He includes it as part of the arsenal for our back-country border trips. The blue line on the horizon is "south of the border."
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links