Suggestions on a better CC handgun

This is a discussion on Suggestions on a better CC handgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I currently own a S&W model 38 J-frame with CT laser; Sig P6 which has had a trigger upgrade, stainless guide rod, polished ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Suggestions on a better CC handgun

Hi everyone,
    I currently own a S&W model 38 J-frame with CT laser; Sig P6 which has had a trigger upgrade, stainless guide rod, polished ramp and CERACOTE House Black finish by Custom Creationz. Wears G10 Piranha grips; a HK p7 in excellent condition which wears Nil grips. All are fun to shoot, but the two pistols have steel frames and are too heavy for comfortable carry. I have been carrying the S&W J-frame (also steel frame) in a Remora holster when weather requires an outer garment, and a Seecamp .32 in a pocket holster in warmer weather. I am torn between keeping the semi-autos (which are really nice) and trading for a lighter, compact semi-auto which would be a more comfortable CC gun in 9mm. The p6 and p7 are beginning to become "safe Queens" and unless there is value in keeping them I would likely trade/sell them for more useful firearms, and use the laser equipped .38 special as a bed side weapon.
    Any comments, suggestions and recommendations would be welcomed.

VIP Member
    Glock 26, XDs 45, Ruger LC9, Glock 36.

You should get what you can comfortably handle and you feel is comfortable to conceal.

For me, it is a M&P Shield. For you, it might be something different.

I have a S&W J frame, 38 classic. And I love it. However, I think you ought to rethink your bedside gun.

I can tell you now, no one ever said I sure was glad to only have 5 shots. I think were I you, Id get rid of the 40 cals, (I have mine up for sale now), and go with a G 19 (9mm) for the beside/HD gun.

That would give you 16 rounds, and a good CC weapon. You can find them now for under $600.00. For something smaller in a CC semi, Id suggest either the G 26, or the M&P Compact 9.

I took the compact 9 thru Fighting Pistol. 1,000 rounds in two days, and it ran like a champ.

I love my Bersa BP9CC.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    +1 on the Glock 19, hard to go wrong. If you want a .45 the Glock 36 or 30 is tough to beat. One advantage to these guns is that you have a WIDE selection of concealment holsters available. Some other models are difficult to find a selection of holsters. Good luck!
    Bstock87 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

...if I were you and had what you had, I'd make the semiautos that you don't like to carry your bedside guns...carry the M38, and you'd be good to go...if weight's a factor, that's pretty light,even in steel frame...and plenty potent...
    ...you might want to compare loaded weight of the small 9mm with loaded weight of the M38...it's not going to be a lot of difference...
    bmcgilvray likes this.

GLOCK 19, my EDC or a GLOCK 26.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Go to the range and if they have a deal where you can rent multiple guns for a slightly larger fee, try that out.

Id shoot the standards, the Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps. I dont really see any other gun being better for CC than a firearm like those listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Glock 26, XDs 45, Ruger LC9, Glock 36.
    If your P7 is in good shape, you could probably get all of the above with the proceeds from selling it.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I carry a xd9sc. I haven't bought into the XDs craze....yet. Anyway, its been extremely accurate and reliable...and can be had for around $400 or a bit lower. Of course, there are a slew of holsters to choose from as well.

Most of what's been mentioned here are good options. Go with what works for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

M&P9c (Size-wise, in between the G26 and the 19).
    M&P Shield (Basically a thin 9c).
    Glock 19 (About as big as most people are willing to go for a CCW).

Those would be my top three for 9mm CCW choices in the $400-600 range, in no particular order. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Go find a range that rents guns and try some out. Do research before hand and find a size that you are comfortable with. Then narrow down selection and go try em out. Every gun feels different to each person. One gun may be perfect for me but horrible for you. You. Have to be the one who finds your gun.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

I'm looking at the Shield 9mm, XDs 9mm and the Glock 26 9mm, I can pick up a G26 at LE & Military price for $424.00 so I don't know but about time I'm ready I would know what I want.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Examine closely the reasons you put such a premium on light weight.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links