Over the hill i dont think so !!!

This is a discussion on Over the hill i dont think so !!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My kids and there friends wanted me to try out a few of those, so called polymer guns they shoot. Maby I am getting old, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Over the hill i dont think so !!!

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar

Over the hill i dont think so !!!

My kids and there friends wanted me to try out a few of those, so called polymer guns they shoot. Maby I am getting old, but I've been shooting a STEEL 1911s longer than they have been alive. The plastic junk [I call it] shoots fine, preforms fine. but to me it just don't feel fine, feels like my dogs chewey bone. My steel 1911s are Kimbers and colts never had any problems. The kids 4 Polymers had 6 failures on the day we shot!! Anyways after out shooting the kids, they told me POPS YOUR OVER THE HILL but a good shot, But you don't own a Iphone. My reply I don't want one those nither. lol. Had to share this. Ps The iphones are plastic also!!

2. Remove Ads

...gotta love it!!! they point out the facts that we're old and grey and over the hill, and completely forget to wonder how we might have gotten that way...they'll learn...one birthday at a time...may they have many, and may they learn easier than we did!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    My kids and there friends wanted me to try out a few of those, so called polymer guns they shoot. Maby I am getting old, but I've been shooting a STEEL 1911s longer than they have been alive. The plastic junk [I call it] shoots fine, preforms fine. but to me it just don't feel fine, feels like my dogs chewey bone. My steel 1911s are Kimbers and colts never had any problems. The kids 4 Polymers had 6 failures on the day we shot!! Anyways after out shooting the kids, they told me POPS YOUR OVER THE HILL but a good shot, But you don't own a Iphone. My reply I don't want one those nither. lol. Had to share this. Ps The iphones are plastic also!!

I carry a Colt Combat Commander stainless XSE 1911,its fairly heavy, my last range trip I put 300 rounds of 200 grain reloads thru it slowfire,double taps,rapid fire mag dumps with reloads etc. with 0 malfunctions.It is my EDC,but I will be switching out every now and then with my M&P45c as soon as I get the new sear installed and a new Leather holster and mag pouches made for it.
    I make my own holsters etc. that way it's fairly cheap and I can make them fit me,besides the fact I got a buttload of leather in my spare bedroom
    sealteam20001 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My steel 1911s are Kimbers and colts never had any problems. The kids 4 Polymers had 6 failures on the day we shot!! Anyways after out shooting the kids, they told me POPS YOUR OVER THE HILL but a good shot ...
    Over the hill, still carrying "big iron," but can shoot the pimples off a gnat's butt at 30yds with one hand tied behind your back.

Young pups don't know what they're missing. Enough stacks of one-hole targets, though, and they might well want to rectify that, being shown that wisdom/skill only comes on the far side of experience.

Way to go, pops!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

This is funny, I don't care who ya are....

VIP Member
    I hear you brother! I prefer steel frame to poly (although I do admit I love my poly CZ P-07). Give me a choice between metal and plastic, I'll take metal.

I also understand you feelings with the phone. Company I work for wants to upgrade my phone to a smart phone. I keep telling them they're wasting there time and money if they do. My clam shell does what I need it to do. Those who have the have gone through 3 or 4 phones since I've had mine. They don't hold up like the old ones do.
    Snub44 and msgt/ret like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Great story. However, the iphones are not plastic, they are milled aluminum. So you can get one and be confident in it, like your 1911s...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Yeah but Harryball, I like weight so want my Iphone to be all forged steel. None of that aluminum-alloy stuff for me, hah!

Fun to read about Pops and his old toys coming through for geezers everywhere.
    sealteam20001, OD* and msgt/ret like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Sorry Harryball Yup Aluminum an the rest of the SMART PHONES, is Plastic. LOL I still don't want one.

Carry an I-phone and an all steel P229, reasonably adept at using both. Although at my age I sometimes have trouble deciding if I want to talk to them or just shoot them.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I just refuse to grow up.
    Snub44 and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I love iron and have 2 wheel guns and a sig that have no plastic my autos are the combination materials and I have to say knock on my wooden head that I can not remember my last failure. I would truly love to have a steel 45 but it won't happen in my last years even tried to work a trade but no luck. I have a cell which is a burner and I am not smart enough to have a smart phone so I have a dumb phone which makes and receives phone call the rest of the stuff is above my pay grade.
    Snub44 likes this.

I too am a low tech man in a high tech world,but my guns are clean.
    dangerranger likes this.

...if ya can't have a little fun, why BE here?!!! some folks'd be healthier and happier if they'd just drop their BB and laugh awhile...
    Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I just refuse to grow up.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Yes Sir, Steel guns and old 4 lb. rotary dial phones. Either can be used as a weapon. Kinda believe that those who bash steel guns have never dialed a phone. Not touchtone, not push a button, but actually DIALED a phone. I will take old and dependable over high tech and pop culture any day.
    Snub44, msgt/ret and NONAME762 like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links