Muzzleloaders

This is a discussion on Muzzleloaders within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I drew out a southern Utah muzzleloader deer permit Only problem is, now I gotta buy a new muzzleloader Any of you guys hunt with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloaders

I drew out a southern Utah muzzleloader deer permit

Only problem is, now I gotta buy a new muzzleloader

Any of you guys hunt with smoke poles?

I'm leaning towards this one, but it's pricey:

Pro Hunter Muzzleloaders - Thompson/Center
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Between my wife & myself, we have killed a few deer with Muzzleloaders. Our rifles are a Knight Wolverine, bought in 1995. I bought a bunch of Knight 260 gr. HP 45 cal. saboted pistol bullets back then and that is what we have used along with about 95 - 100 gr. Pyrodex. Our deer were shot at under 100 yards and the bullet was always effective.

Here is my wife with her last muzzleloader buck, Dec. 2012

Muzzleloader Buck.jpg
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I have one, Black Diamond. Now we can use 45-70 during black powder season. It just sits in the safe.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

For no more than most use a muzzleloader, I'd buy a cheap, proven gun. This is mine: PR2020M OPTIMA V2 .50 Cal Blued/Black - DEAD-ON Mount

The pro hunter is an awesome muzzle loader and that shows in the dollar signs associated with it. I dreamed of picking one up, but I decided all I need is something easy to load and accurate. So I picked up a CVA Optima, stainless and fluted for $250. I'm still a rookie and I really like the CVA. I figured I'd save my pennies and pick up an Encore one day, but now I see no need.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

All I ever shoot are Thompson Center Muzzleloaders. I think you are making an excellent choice.

Thompson doesnt make junk. And they fire when you pull that trigger, unlike some brands I can think of.

My first Thompson (which has taken 6 deer), I bought as a kit gun. It was blued, tapped, and ready to shoot, but the stock was unfinished, and I had to put on the rod guides, etc. The gun was actually a good value, and very effective weapon.

I later went with a break action stainless Thompson. Id pass on the stainless, had I to do over again. My other blue steel Thompson doesnt have a speck of rust or corrosion on it. Of course thats because I cleaned it well. But honestly, I see little advantage to stainless.

Id also advise NOT buying used. Were mine for sale, and you bought one, youd be just fine. But many dont clean their weapons as they should, and you dont want something that is a headache.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    If you are going to use one of those newfangled guns, you may as well use a bolt action. I stick with percussion and flint. Powder horn and patches. Thompson Center would be a good first gun. They has always made good, dependable black powder stuff. I still have a first run "Hawken" with a 3 digit serial number. If you are going to use one of those newfangled guns, you may as well use a bolt action.
    grouse and NONAME762 like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

The traditions Pro Hunter Inline break action is an outstanding smokepole for not a lot of money. I have one in .50 with a 26 in barrel, nickel plated, stainless barrel, fiber optic sights, light weight and easy to clean
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I'm leaning towards this one, but it's pricey:

Pro Hunter Muzzleloaders - Thompson/Center

Boy that's much to modern for me!! Congrats on the permit though.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Congratulations. So many choices. Love the smell of powder in the air!

The TC Pro-Hunter is greatly over-hypped and over-priced. Many of them have trigger problems. For the price of that TC Pro-Hunter you could buy a very nice CVA or Traditions gun and a nice scope to go with it.

The best inline muzzleloader TC ever made is the Black Diamond. The gun is out of production but is still being sold by a few stores:

Inline Muzzleloader Sale

Congrats on the Tag & Good Luck. I use a sidelock T/C New Englander.. Harvest many a animal since early 90's ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

That was my first thompson. I bought it as a kit gun from them. And I agree, its a fine weapon, and mine has taken a number of deer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Congrats on the Tag & Good Luck. I use a sidelock T/C New Englander.. Harvest many a animal since early 90's ; )
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I've got a .50 Hawken carbine that I have had for almost 30 years. What I use now is a CVA Wolf .50 inline that breaks open like a shotgun and uses a 209 shotgun primer. It is not fancy but it gets the job done for this hillbilly and I don't worry if it gets banged around. I use (2) 50 gr Pyrodex pellets and a 265 gr sabot. It has been one shot one kill the past 2 years
    Updated Garage pics 059.jpg
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have a Knight Revolution that has taken a few deer. Worth checking in to. Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links