hand gun storage

hand gun storage

This is a discussion on hand gun storage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard that storing a hand gun in foam lined case (like the one my Glock came in) will cause it to rust. Has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: hand gun storage

hand gun storage

I have heard that storing a hand gun in foam lined case (like the one my Glock came in) will cause it to rust. Has anyone here found that to be true? How would you recomend storing a hand gun?

I can only offer that I stow mine in zippered bank deposit bags. A few large ones get pistol cases or the factory boxes/wooden boxes they came with (in the case of some Smith & Wessons). They all wear their coats of RIG and no issues have arisen over the many years they've been kept in this fashion.

It's said that one is better off not to place them inside any sort of bag or case so that air circulation may be had. I continue to maintain mine in the above fashion though as they would be crammed too tightly together without having the protection offered by the bags and cases. Gouges, bruises, rub marks, and scratches are no more attractive than wretched rust. Regular inspection is conducted but really, no issues arise once the guns are wiped with RIG, no matter how long they are stored.

Long term storage where no regular inspection will occur is another matter. I'd still use the RIG but would probably get the guns out of the bags, figuring out some way to make sure they don't jostle each other.

I've been using this stuff since a knowledgeable gun nut turned me on to it in the late 1970s. Rust has been banished ever since.
    RIG® UNIVERSAL GUN GREASE | Brownells
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    never had any problems with foam lined before. all of my hunting rifles and shotguns are in foam lined cases. just make sure you properly clean the firearm before storing it and you'll be good.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Moisture, whether directly introduced or arising from condensation, is your enemy. Some harsh chemicals such as acids along with salts is the number two enemy, right in behind moisture ... or working in conjunction with moisture to make a real train wreck out of your costly firearms. Stainless steel is not impervious either.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Foam can be a silent enemy in a humid environment, trapping moisture. I like Bryan's idea of bank deposit bags, as they're not close-fitting and they're far from airtight.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Rather than moisture there is another issue. Storing a well lubricated firearm in a foam filled case will cause the foam to turn into something like melted rubber after long and repeated storage. Again, I am talking about long, long term storage. If however you have a controlled climate (think central heat and air) where you store your firearms, you should have no issues what so ever. If you don't see rust on household fixtures, metal door components, appliance handles, metal lamps etc. you should be fine. If you keep you stuff in a safe invest in some form of dehydration components. especially if your safe is in the garage. Most fire rated safes are NOT airtight. the door seal lacks about 1/16" or larger gap so the door seal will swell under heat to protect the contents yet facilitate ease of daily operation.

The bank deposit bag mentioned above is a darn good choice for general household storage.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I left all my guns stored in foam-lined cases for nearly 15 years, with no storage precautions other than a light rubbing with Outers gun oil. After that time in the closet, not one had a speck of rust.

Store a gun in foam that's gotten damp? You bet it can rust. But the foam isn't the issue there. If it were, I doubt manufacturers would ship them out in a potentially corrosive packing. In fact, the foam in my Sig case seems impregnated with oil of some sort.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There are two widely used foam being used in cases. 1) is the open-cell polyurethane. This type of foam can wick and hold moisture. 2) is the closed-cell polyethylene that does not.

I use the later but still place silica desiccant paks in the case. They make both disposable and rechargeable paks. Whether long-term or short-term storage, I don't want to trap moisture in the case since I use Pelican cases and those are water-proof and mostly air-tight.

GeorgiaCarry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The bank bag idea is a great idea. Not for storage but to protect guns a a range bag, they don't take up anywhere need the space that the gun bags I had been using yet still provide enough protection for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ilike View Post
    I have heard that storing a hand gun in foam lined case (like the one my Glock came in) will cause it to rust. Has anyone here found that to be true? How would you recomend storing a hand gun?
    Foam isn't going to harm you gun. Sure, if you're looking at long-term storage with foam then you may want to look at closed-cell foam as opposed to open-cell foam, but for daily use foam isn't an issue.

What is causing the rust is condensation along the foam making contact with the metal gun, not the foam itself. It has more to do with your local environment than anything else. If you're going to, say, foam-pack a gun for long-term display, then pick a dry to actually pack it. For daily storage, a Silica Gel bag (found in millions of products, including prescription medication bottles) to absorb ambient moisture.

A dab of CLP on your finger and put a thin coat of it on your gun before storing it will also help.

Zippered bank bag storage.

Diddle and Sister like this.

Now if only I could afford that many guns...

My Blackhawk has spent the last 40 years in a case with cut foam. It also has many silica packs scattered around the case.(Obviously none touching the gun) I haven't seen a speck of rust in all those years.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

If you live in a very high humidity area, the open foam can wick any condensation and hold it like a sponge. Closed foam is safe for storage. A cheap gun sock can help for long term storage. Check them every few months and lightly oil them.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Now if only I could afford that many guns...
    I wish I could afford the safe!!!.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

There's a lot less tied up in the guns, acquired since the early/mid 1970s, than bass boats, 4WDs, RVs, horses, motorcycles, or lots of other interests that could be mentioned.

Especially horses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links