IDPA today

IDPA today

This is a discussion on IDPA today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I finally went today. My second IDPA match ever, the first one, last year, was an abysmal performance that almost put me off competition ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: IDPA today

IDPA today

Well I finally went today. My second IDPA match ever, the first one, last year, was an abysmal performance that almost put me off competition shooting for life. But I was determined to give it another try, so for the last couple of months i've been practicing target aim, but no draw, movement, scenario shooting.

I was expecting a similar experience to last year but with slightly better on-target shots. Luckily as would have it, there were a few 'new' shooters there today, so I felt a little more confident in that I wasn't the only 'newbie' there.
    I had a wonderful time, I was very pleased with my performance, I was on-target more or less with all my shots, my speed had improved dramatically from last year, but most of all, my confidence was 200% improved over last year.

We ran six stages, with around 40 shooters split into 3 squads. Match started at 9am and we were all done by 12:15-12:30. I enjoyed myself so much, very relaxed atmosphere, and a great group of friendly people.
    There is another match next weekend at a different range that I hope to make it to. Today I ran the Glock 34 at the match, but next month, at the range I was at today, i'm going to take the Taurus PT92 to see how it performs.

I would highly recommend IDPA to anyone who wants a break from "bowling alley" practice. You only need some basics to participate, a gun (obviously) what you already own is probably good enough (tho' must be 9mm/.38 or larger), 3 mags (most local ranges you could probably get away with 2 mags), a holster that covers the trigger, a concealment garment (thankfully, because of the heat, we were allowed to shoot without concealment today), and of course the safety equipment (eyes and ears).

Age and gender are no barrier, tho' I was the only woman there today shooting, there were two young boys shooting, one of which I guess to be 12-13 years old. All matches are run with safety as priority, and most of the 'seasoned' shooters will help the less-experienced as much as they can with tips and advice. Overall, its just a great day out that everyone can get something from, whether its just for fun, or serious competition. I loved it...

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    It's definitely a different experience than standing stationary and punching paper. I participated in IDPA years ago and had a good time with it. There were some real shooters in our club.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I started about 6 months ago and fell in love. I started at novice and now just a tad shy of Expert....(sharpshooter) After I got my CCW I wanted to frequent the range and that is awesome practice in IMHO.

My buddy had a rough start I would clean his clock every time we went but he has been getting better each time.

Its gotten pretty hot where i live and hunting season is about to start so I wont be going back till October and I cant wait. Hope you keep it up!
    QKShooter likes this.

Nice to hear you had a good time. Did you notice how your pulse quickened a bit when you started shooting against the clock? Action shooting games are very contagious!
    QKShooter likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Ohh yes, my heart rate must've doubled...

Well finally got the results in today. 17th overall out of 31 shooters. Only 13 points down through the whole match, and the real buzz, overall 5th out of 12 'un-classified' shooters.
    The only bummer was a HNT (hit on none threat) full 5 points for that, and one PE (procedural error) forgot to stand behind cover on one of the reloads.

Regardless I am very, very pleased with my performance compared to this time last year (overall last place, with lots of points down). I think I got the accuracy down pat, just got to work on speed now. The Glock 34 is a sweet gun for IDPA, it's never missed a beat on me, even using after-market magazines so I can keep my factory mags intact.

Gearing up for next saturday now, this one will be at the same club/range where I did my intro to IDPA course, so i've kinda shot there before, just not as an official match. If I keep going at the same kind of performance, I will be joining the IDPA and getting a classification.

Sara Lou
    QKShooter and Pistology like this.

By all means, make it official and do it as often as you can. It's a great shooting community! Next thing you know, you'll be reloading...
    QKShooter likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've been to a few of these and also love it. It's a MUCH more self-defense appropriate use of my precious practice ammo than the paper at the pistol range, and I've gotten some great coaching from some talented folks, too. The last event I went to had 72 shooters, which was a record for that range and made the day last quite a bit longer, but I still had a great time. Definitely highly recommended!
    QKShooter and ccw9mm like this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

I've been shooting IDPA almost every week for the past 9 months. Generally the matches I shoot at have 30 to 50 shooters, ranging from first-timers to a couple guys that are classified as "master". Here's what I've learned:

-Pay attention to what the really good shooters do. Ask questions. Try to walk away from each match having learned one new thing.

-Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

-The more you shoot IDPA, the better your scores will get.

-The more you shoot, the more fun you'll have.

-Don't compare your scores against the rest of the people shooting - compare your scores against the last time you shot. If your goal is improve your performance a little bit every time you shoot - and you work hard at it - you'll see a drastic improvement in your shooting inside 6 months.

-Dry fire. Lots.

Most importantly....enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    By all means, make it official and do it as often as you can. It's a great shooting community! Next thing you know, you'll be reloading...
    The Lee Turret Press, scales, tumbler, powder feeder, and primer feeder all arrived last week, just waiting for the 9mm dies that are on back order...

Sara Lou

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    The first match I ever shot was last year, and I hated it, I almost gave up right there and then. But I stuck with it, and practiced my accuracy.
    Saturday was the second match i've ever shot, this time I loved it, had a blast and really got a lot out of it. Having some people there who were also 'first timers' helped a lot, I didn't feel quite as intimidated as the first time.

Sara Lou

Great to hear. IDPA (and shooting in general) will benefit from new shooters - especially new lady shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    I've been shooting IDPA almost every week for the past 9 months. Generally the matches I shoot at have 30 to 50 shooters, ranging from first-timers to a couple guys that are classified as "master". Here's what I've learned:

-Pay attention to what the really good shooters do. Ask questions. Try to walk away from each match having learned one new thing.

-Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

-The more you shoot IDPA, the better your scores will get.

-The more you shoot, the more fun you'll have.

-Don't compare your scores against the rest of the people shooting - compare your scores against the last time you shot. If your goal is improve your performance a little bit every time you shoot - and you work hard at it - you'll see a drastic improvement in your shooting inside 6 months.

-Dry fire. Lots.

All very good points....follow them myself

Well, second match of the year under my belt....

Not quite as high in the rankings this time. Was around 44-45 shooters there today, most of whom were 'seasoned', so obviously I was out-shot by just about everyone there.

But, I still had a great time, and as a bonus, I didn't finish last place. Another great bunch of people and I wasn't the only female this time. One of the managers from work was there today, not the first time i've shot against him, but he is 'Expert' class, tho' I did tease him on a "swinger" target he missed (twice!!).

Ohh, and 40th out of 44 was my finish spot. Another 'hit on none threat' and 1 PE again.
    Next month the Taurus gets to play at both ranges to see if it can compete with the Glock.

Sara Lou
    gasmitty and Pistology like this.

Awesome and great to hear it was a good experience. Considering it myself

Thought I would dig this thread out of bowels and update it.

I took the PT92 to the next match, it shot really well almost as good as the glock, however, shooting SSP I had to start 'hammer down' putting the gun into double action mode, which made for a long first pull on the trigger. Also, the grip is quite a bit larger than the glock and I found I was having trouble reaching the mag release which of course slowed my reloads down.

Today there was a 'classifier' match at the range, so I decided to see how I would do.
    I shot the G34 and managed to finish with an overall score of 147.11, which is just 7 seconds over Sharpshooter classification!!!, so I ended up having to settle for Marksman classification. Apparently tho', the rules of IDPA changed this year, and the new rule book came into effect october 1st, had I shot the classifier before then, I would have classified as Sharpshooter.

Sara Lou
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links