Used Night Sights?

This is a discussion on Used Night Sights? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you think that there would be a problem buying used night sights? I saw this on EBay: Trijicon Night Sights for Glock Bright Tough ...

Thread: Used Night Sights?

Used Night Sights?

Do you think that there would be a problem buying used night sights? I saw this on EBay:

Trijicon Night Sights for Glock Bright Tough GL04 | eBay

I'm thinking about it, but I don't know if it would be a problem.

2. Remove Ads

Problem, how?

If your eyes benefit by the sight picture, the colors, the brightness, then by all means consider them. With my aging eyes, I find having a little "boost" out there helps much more than it used to. Fiber optic sights, larger (ie, "big dot") sights, tritium/night sights ... they all have some benefits, at least for my eyes. If you find such improvements, then it should be a good thing for you.

Of course, if actually used at night, the muzzle flash will wash out most (if not all) of whatever visibility of those little dots you'd otherwise have. But it can help that first shot or two be more accurate. Some don't think much of night sights. I think they can be useful, if your eyes would benefit. Crucial? No, but useful for many. JMHO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    It is my understanding that these as well as similar offerings get darker with age. However from what I read that only starts after years of service. If they are less than 5 years old, I would think you be be OK.
    Somewhere I read that Tritium's 1/2 life is about 12 or so years. So a set of even 7 year old sights glow well but probably useless after 24 or so years.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I would pass on them. They go bad over time. Dont get me wrong; I love night sights. I have two sets on two different weapons. But I would buy new, and not off of ebay.

Then factor in that there are fakes of all kinds of gun related things out there now. Faked back up iron sights for ARs, faked red dot scopes. If they are making fakes of the products I just mentioned (cheap Chinese knockoffs) there are almost certainly fakes of night sights, now, too.

Sounds like they are virtually NEW,one problem you can run into is that he had to "Fit" the rear sight by sanding it to fit the dovetail on his gun,this is normal for new sights,the factory cuts them a little big so you can fit them to your gun,there is a possibility thatthe rear sight may fit your gun loose,or you may need to sand off a little more material,the latter wouldn't be a problem,but if it's too loose you'll be trying to sell them to somebody else
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The seller has them for $40. I'm thinking that they would be worth that, even if they have been installed before. It say's that they are less than a year old.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilike View Post
    The seller has them for $40. I'm thinking that they would be worth that, even if they have been installed before. It say's that they are less than a year old.
    Very true. That's about half what you'd get them for new. I am less worried about the fact that they're a year old, since a lot of sights are sold as new but are older stock than I am about the fact that someone has already taken a file to them. If they're new and uninstalled, you can always file to fit, but if someone has taken off too much material, you can't really get that back.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    Certain things I don't buy used; food, underwear, night sights...

They have a 10yr life. 2013 ahould be fine for you.

As stated, they seem to be a year old, Trijicon are supposed to be good for 10+ years, so I would not worry about purchasing them.. Much cheaper than a new set.. I have the same sights on my Glock 19 gen 4 and love them, orange on the front site and green on the rear sights!!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    It is my understanding that these as well as similar offerings get darker with age. However from what I read that only starts after years of service. If they are less than 5 years old, I would think you be be OK.
    Somewhere I read that Tritium's 1/2 life is about 12 or so years. So a set of even 7 year old sights glow well but probably useless after 24 or so years.

Just as an FYI, the Trijicons on my BHP are indeed 25 years old...installed them factory fresh in the late 80's. They have dimmed a lot; we're talking two half-lives of tritium. But they're still visible in the darkness.

I'd say if the sights are less than five years old you're fine.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Links