Failure to Eject..need wisdom...

This is a discussion on Failure to Eject..need wisdom... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Shield 9mm. I have probably put 1000 rounds through it. I have been extremely satisfied....until yesterday. I'm still fairly new to firearms. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Failure to Eject..need wisdom...

I have a Shield 9mm. I have probably put 1000 rounds through it. I have been extremely satisfied....until yesterday.

I'm still fairly new to firearms.

I went to my local indoor range to practice. I took 300 rounds with me. Some white box and a bulk pack of UMC (250 rounds). I call it bulk but it was actually 5 trays of 50 in a yellow box. All 115gr fmj.

I have 3 magazines and an ulplula (for reference to about how fast i could move)

I burned through the first 250 rounds in about 35-40 minutes. Then when I got into the last tray of UMC I had 4 FTE in like 35 shots.
    Part of me thinks that the ammo was a "special cause" since I can sort of stratify exactly when the issue cropped up. I also hate blaming FTE on ammo BUT...the shields track record for FTE has been superb.

The nature of the FTE was odd (to me). I would classify the FTE into 2 categories.

1. They werent exactly stove piping. I suppose it would be similar to a stove pipe. I have attached an image.
    FTE.jpg
    I had 2 of these style.

2. I didnt get a picture of the second style unfortunately. The casing was still resting inside the barrel but it looked like it had been extracted maybe 4/5 of the way. So it was basically sitting on top of the next round to be taken to battery (hope im using term correctly) when the slide returned. This caused the slide to lock in position, i'm assuming because the follower couldnt advance the next round from the magazine. This condition was VERY hard to clear. I couldnt pull the slide back by hand until i removed the magazine and the magazine was very difficult to get out. Basically worst possible condition if i was in combat.

I have considered the following:

a. the firearm looks like it is in good shape (to my amateur eyes) when i inspect it. The extractor shows no unusual signs of wear or damage.

b. it's possible that I was limp wristing since I had been shooting more than normal for me at one time and I was actually drawing and holstering some in between shots trying to learn the technique. I've never had a limp wrist shot and feel like i have it pretty firm. But i also never had trained like i was, i.e. draw, safety off while acquiring, 2 shots, holster, repeat. I could see where I may have gotten sloppy/tired near the end.

c. could the ammo have a "light" load that could have caused the weapon not to cycle correctly?

d. my reaction to a FTE was awful.

I'm very new and hate to postulate with so little personal knowledge.

I will hit the range again soon but I was just out of time and ammo that day to try more tests.

Now I am questioning my primary when 2 days ago i was 100% confident.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Is it dry? If it needs a little lube, that could be the issue. When a gun is dry the slide might not, well, slide as well as it should.

Limp wristing is definitely a possibility, as well.

I'd say it's one of those two things before I'd say it was the ammo. If it was a light primer strike, then I'd be more inclined to go with ammo. But for an FTE, me thinks probably not. Personal opinion.
    Yarg28 and shadowwalker like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

ive seen that type of "stove piping" on shooters with light handloads, but the firearm was a glock shooting 40sw sooo, if it was me and my gun, i would have the recoil spring looked at, see if its still in specs, if not the spring than probably just an ammo glitch
    Yarg28 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

thanks for the responses.

It "shouldnt" have been dry as i had cleaned and lubed it per manufacturer spec a few days before. But I suppose if i shoot a few hundred it could go dry. I always try not to over lube. Maybe I'm not getting enough on.

I'll have somebody check the spring.

thanks again.

Distinguished Member
    Lot of things going on and no photos of the face of the firing pin or slide. You fired a lot of rounds that are considered dirty by many. Unfired powder or incomplete combustion of powder can leave a lot of residue.

I would not loose faith in the gun as a carry weapon. In combat a full load out of ammunition is only 250 rounds so you shot a lot of ammunition. Fatigue could be a factor and only you know that answer.

Take a good hard look at the face of the firing pin and make sure there is not a lot of brass built up causing the casing to sit uneven allowing the ejector to slip off the cartridge.

Take a look at the rim of the cartridge making sure no irregularities. Relax and enjoy shooting.

Respectfully,
    Bill
    Yarg28 likes this.

115gr UMC is weak junk, and if you're using cheap low quality oil like Hoppe's or Remoil that immediately cooks off during the first mag; you already know what the problem is.
    IndianaSig and Yarg28 like this.

manolito,

great comments. I will check the face of the firing pin.

I wasnt sure if what i shot was considered a lot or not. Should i be cleaning some during practice if im going to shoot 200+?

Also, just saw another thread about lube. Maybe i need to find something else to use. I'm just using whatever came in a hoppe kit from gander mt :p

thanks again

VIP Member
    My PX4 storm did the same to me , i lubed it up and low and behold .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    115gr UMC is weak junk, and if you're using cheap low quality oil like Hoppe's or Remoil that immediately cooks off during the first mag; you already know what the problem is.
    I actually typed my other response while you were typing yours about Hoppe. Guess i better find something else. Worth a shot.

Thanks

I've used a lot of the 115 gr umcs in mine with no problems but i use CLP .

It might be worth your time to pull out the extractor itself and give it a good cleaning. That's worth doing whether it's your problem or not.
    Yarg28 likes this.

Umc is some of the weakest dirtiest ammo out there. Try froglube I use it on my shield an every other gun I own, love the stuff.
    Yarg28 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post
    I actually typed my other response while you were typing yours about Hoppe. Guess i better find something else. Worth a shot.

Thanks
    Of all the responses in this thread, synx is likely the one with the answer. I like to avoid 115 gr from any manufacturer but using it from UMC is just asking for trouble.

I think limp-wristing, &/or lack of sufficient lubrication are both definite possibilities. I am not familiar with the Shield, so I don't know whether or not Shields need to run "wet" or not. That being said, the picture you supplied sure looks like "limp wristing" to me. As far as your description of the 2nd type of failure, it resembles the issue I had with my CZ when it was new. This leads me to think your issue may well be connected to the recoil spring.
    Yarg28 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

That looks and sounds like ammo. The shell didin't have the recoil energy to cycle the slide and eject the cartridge. I find Seller and Beloit, or Finocchi, to be slightly hotter - UMC isn't impressive, and with the ammo shortage, there is a rush rush rush. Take your gun apart, clean, and oil/lube it, and use a better ammo.

Remington UMC Ammo 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flat Nose Enclosed Base Box of ...... look at stats
    Yarg28 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links