Advice Needed Striker Vs Hammer

This is a discussion on Advice Needed Striker Vs Hammer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am new to shooting (Since last Nov 2012 Have CHL since May 2013) carry a Ruger SR40C and have been training with it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Advice Needed Striker Vs Hammer

I am new to shooting (Since last Nov 2012 Have CHL since May 2013) carry a Ruger SR40C and have been training with it. I like the ease of the Striker guns, but I have the HOTS for an FNH-FNS40 or a FNX40. The FNX is the Hammer model. I have read that cross training between the Striker and Hammer will through you off. It would be Recommended, to stick with what you know already? Anyone have any problems with mixing both formats?

New Member Array Duckhunter38135's Avatar
    Fundamentals are still the same, your first shot in double action will just be long and heavier. After that, all single action shots will be a very short trigger pull. I don't find an issue bouncing back and forth even in the same range session.
    357and40, ccw9mm and pittypat21 like this.

The nice thing with a hammer is being able to decock easier (assuming the pistol has a decocker). With the striker, you have to remove the magazine, make sure the chamber is empty and then pull the trigger. I have an SR9c (striker) and a Sig SP2022 (hammer) for my wife. I'm actually liking her Sig better right now, so I have a Sig P226 in .40 coming...should be at my dealer tomorrow!

Ace
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I've only had striker fired so forgive the dumb question. If you have a round in the chamber with a gun with a hammer, do you have to pull the hammer back before you fire the first shot?

With the safety off and the hammer decocked your first shot will be a long double action pull. Subsequent shots will be single action. Once you're done shooting you have to remember to decock. Which is the biggest drawback of the DA/SA pistols - having to remember to decock.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    The nice thing with a hammer is being able to decock easier (assuming the pistol has a decocker). With the striker, you have to remove the magazine, make sure the chamber is empty and then pull the trigger. I have an SR9c (striker) and a Sig SP2022 (hammer) for my wife. I'm actually liking her Sig better right now, so I have a Sig P226 in .40 coming...should be at my dealer tomorrow!

Ace
    I'd not make that blanket statement. Plenty of striker fired guns have a decocking mechanism. I know mine does,
    and it is 10 years old, so I'm sure there were plenty of striker fired guns designed and marketed in the years after. I certainly don't have to go through what you described above. In fact I load up, chamber, and decock. The gun is then in a DA/SA mode which is a very safe way to carry or keep it bedside: also easily cocked with a very light tug on the slide if one is so inclined.

I think a decocking mechanism is a very very important safety device whether the gun is striker fired or fired by a hammer.

It is just too easy to slip up when lowering a hammer on a gun that doesn't have a decocking mechanism.
    IndianaSig likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaMike View Post
    I've only had striker fired so forgive the dumb question. If you have a round in the chamber with a gun with a hammer, do you have to pull the hammer back before you fire the first shot?
    Depends on the design.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Depends on what you mean by "pull."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Plenty of striker fired guns have a decocking mechanism.
    Mind throwing some examples out there? This is the first I've heard that. Would like to research some for carry. Thanks!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Mind throwing some examples out there? This is the first I've heard that. Would like to research some for carry. Thanks!
    The early Walther P99's would be an example. There are probably newer examples but I am not much of a striker fired fan.
    DJC7 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    I have read that cross training between the Striker and Hammer will through you off.
    Sounds like something you'd see on a Glock forum.

Yes, a DA trigger takes practice, but if switching throws you off that badly, you need more practice. What's wrong with being proficient with multiple platforms?

If it is DA/SA or DA only, the trigger will cock and release the trigger. Those two actions define DA.
    If it is SA, the trigger only releases the trigger (1911, Browning HP).
    wmhawth and pittypat21 like this.

Technically speaking, a problem with multiple variables is always going to be more difficult than a single variable. But there's a big difference between "more difficult" and "difficult".

There's no problem switching back and forth. That, to me, comes from the same school of thought as suggesting that women should only shoot revolvers, 'cause they're easier than semi-autos.
    wmhawth and BurgerBoy like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

My P89 decocks when I flip on the safety. Flip off the safety pull the trigger in DA. Short reset SA after that. One should flip on the safety and practice trigger control before holstering anyway.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Decocking is my favorite part.

If you don't agree, you're doing it wrong...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Any good firearm fires when the trigger is pulled. How it does it is irrelevant.
    Smilinswordsman likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links