What sight paint to use?

This is a discussion on What sight paint to use? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I carry a S&W 642 that I really like. The one thing I am not too crazy about is the front sight. It ...

Thread: What sight paint to use?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

What sight paint to use?

Hey all,

I carry a S&W 642 that I really like. The one thing I am not too crazy about is the front sight. It is the same color as the frame and tends to blend into targets.

Now I realize that this is a short range firearm meant for pull and shoot, but it does do well when you actually aim it.

What would you recommend to make the front sight stand out. An actual bonified sight paint or just some bright hobby paint.

I have also heard of some having the front sight milled off and a fiber sight added.

Wadda ya think?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

I Just Ordered Sight Paint...

and it's OK...but, actually...just some bright fingernail polish will work quite well...OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - folks reckon nail varnish will work but never tested that for longevity.

I did get some ''Brightsights'' paint from Charlie at http://www.smartcarry.com/ and used that on a few guns. My BHP Practical had white dots but changed those and also added spots to my R9 sights - rudimentary tho they are. It seems to last well.

This pic of R9 with grip tape may just show how the yellow frontsight and green on rear show.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I tried Bright Sights and didn't care for it, it comes off very easily.
    I have used nail polish and will state that it works very well and lasts.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

I used the flourescent model paint that they sell a Walmart. I used green on the rear, and orange on the front. I'ts holding up pretty well, but I don't recommend orange...it's really hard to see in many light conditions.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Thanks everyone.

Hey P95Carry, do you just have all of these great pics laying around and ready to post? Thx for the visual! Above and beyond!

Thats a good lookin R9 too!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    I used Rustoleum craft and enamel

Senior Moderator
    I have used glow in the dark nail polish bought after Halloween a few years ago to make "night sights" using a day-go green polish. It is still on today but no longer glows after nearly 2 years.

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Hey P95Carry, do you just have all of these great pics laying around and ready to post?
    In a way yes!! My main pic's set was done originally as a security deal - all guns photographed, the pics have SN's added and I keep an inventory list too with values.

That way if something got taken it'll help for ID, and if I flip off this mortal coil unexpectedly, those left behind have some idea of what my stuff is worth!

All that aside - I kept a set of pics with no SN's added and store them on one of my servers. Over time I have taken other pics to illustrate certain things such as on my R9 FAQ site and so collectively, I can dish up most pics I might want to use for illustration in posts at drop of a hat!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    I used the flourescent model paint that they sell a Walmart. I used green on the rear, and orange on the front. I'ts holding up pretty well, but I don't recommend orange...it's really hard to see in many light conditions.
    i did the same on my beretta and bersa, except i put orange on both front and rear. i can confirm that the orange is hard to see i low lighting. i may go buy some green to try it out. i painted the sights on my guns many months ago and don't notice any wear on them at all, so i know this method lasts.

Mix a dab of Devcon 2-Ton epoxy, and add testors Gloss White with a toothpick- just enough to color the epoxy (about 2-3 drops for a dime-sized dot of epoxy). Mix thoroughly and apply. Be sure to tape off what you don't want painted. Adhesion is excellent. In fact, I've never had any completely dinged off, and have had no damage to it from TetraGun, Militec, or Marvel Mystery oil. If you want it off, immerse overnight in B12 Chemtool.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

testors for me

Mark me down for testors, neon orange and green, Wally world had some orange on clearance, so I tried it on my pellot pistol first to see how it hold up to not just sitting on a shelf. it is now on my glock, and been there for about 8 months, and holding fine, first and only application, a dozen cleanings, and about 600-700 rounds.

At this rate, My great,great,great,great grandson could still have half a bottle left when he passes it on to his son.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links