CO retired Marine must decide between guns and home

This is a discussion on CO retired Marine must decide between guns and home within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A retired U.S. Marine who has contributed over the years to both the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: CO retired Marine must decide between guns and home

CO retired Marine must decide between guns and home

A retired U.S. Marine who has contributed over the years to both the Second Amendment Foundation and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is in trouble today in Castle Rock, Colo., where his landlord has decided that either he must get rid of his guns, or find a new place to live.

Controversy over Marine vet?s ?guns or housing? plight - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Clearly illegal and unconstitutional.

This has been settled in various places already due to dimwitted landlords getting stupid.
    Patti, squid86, Badey and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The Colorado Supreme court already ruled that Colleges could not ban guns from Dorm rooms, I can't figure they would allow a landlord to do the same thing.
    squid86 and oldman45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Clearly illegal and unconstitutional.

This has been settled in various places already due to dimwitted landlords getting stupid.
    While this is true, I'd still rather have an understanding and appreciative landlord. Our landlords said, when we told them we had guns (big mistake, didn't know better then), that they were happy and at least knew the property would be a little more safe. I'm still glad we had that talk, even though it wasn't even necessary, because we had an opportunity to hear about their vast collection which has set a bar for us. Nine firearms in 3-4 years isn't too bad a pace. A security deposit fundraiser would be an easy task, just sayin'.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    Home brewing: Because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap.

Senior Moderator
    I'd still rather have an understanding and appreciative landlord.
    Who wouldn't?

Unfortunately, some of them are not. Some people, when given just a hint of "power" become tyrants and they think that they can dictate what you can and cant own on their property, in spite of what the law says.

Its a sad fact of life that people like that don't understand anything but pain and that's usually what it takes to get the point across. One way or the other.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Agreed. I'd sell what I had to just to finance a move. I wouldn't give them another dime in rent money.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    If it was me and I was that Marine I'd go out and buy another gun. Just to spite that stupid land lord.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Who wouldn't?

Unfortunately, some of them are not. Some people, when given just a hint of "power" become tyrants and they think that they can dictate what you can and cant own on their property, in spite of what the law says.

Its a sad fact of life that people like that don't understand anything but pain and that's usually what it takes to get the point across. One way or the other.
    Seems like not only some but most that get elected to any office in a very short while seem to think that way.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I'd ask the Landlord to guarantee my safety, in writing, while in my apartment.... If he says "no", then case closed.

I'd also make him evict me and see if that holds up in court.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; August 7th, 2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo
    squid86 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

So based on the lawyers that have replied in this thread, the owners of the apartments can't ban guns?

Senior Moderator
    So based on the lawyers that have replied in this thread, the owners of the apartments can't ban guns?
    Can they ban free speech?

How about banning a religion that they don't like?

What's the difference?

If you don't know what your rights are, you might as well not have any.
    Patti likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Guns??? I have no guns.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Don't worry Eric Holder's going to jump right on it! Anybody want to wait with me for that to happen?

Easy decision for sure

The apartment community is private property. Not only can they ban guns if they choose to do so, we WANT them to be able to do so. Your 2A rights, whether you understand what that means or not, pale in comparison to the importance of PROPERTY RIGHTS. The tenants can move, they can petition the ownership to reconsider, or they can get rid of their guns. The story made clear that tenants are being allowed to leave without violating the terms of their lease if they choose to do so.

It is more than a little annoying when these types of stories are posted and the uneducated start whining 2A VIOLATION! Nonsense. Educate yourselves. We WANT this property owner to be able to decide this for themselves. If the tenants don't like it, they can move. Welcome to America.
    manolito, Jake228 and diver1102 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links