1911 sights

This is a discussion on 1911 sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a high standard 1911 and it has pretty crappy sights on it. The rear sight is pretty good its just the front sight ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: 1911 sights

1911 sights

I have a high standard 1911 and it has pretty crappy sights on it. The rear sight is pretty good its just the front sight that sucks. I want to put a dot sight on it and am wondering if I can do just front sight or do they have to be done in pairs?

-Jason

2. Remove Ads

They don't have to be done in pairs. However, the risk (or challenge, if you like) is to get the correct height for the replacement sight so your shots remain on target. A modest change of just 0.030" in the front sight can result in a 2.5" shift in point of impact at 15 yards. This problem is mitigated by careful measurement of the existing front sight height and selection of the proper replacement.

Is your front sight in a dovetail, or is it staked?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    They don't have to be done in pairs. However, the risk (or challenge, if you like) is to get the correct height for the replacement sight so your shots remain on target. A modest change of just 0.030" in the front sight can result in a 2.5" shift in point of impact at 15 yards. This problem is mitigated by careful measurement of the existing front sight height and selection of the proper replacement.

Is your front sight in a dovetail, or is it staked?
    It is staked.

-Jason

OK, then you have a couple of different ways to go, but unless you know what you're doing and are good with metal working, this is something you probably want to turn over to a gunsmith.

Start with the Brownell's catalog and see what the choices are for front sights - style and height. These days, most are dovetail-mounted, so you'd need a gunsmith to mill a dovetail into your slide, and then things get easy from there. If you don't want to go that route, then your choices are narrowed a bit to what's offered in a stake-on sight. Getting the old one out cleanly and the replacement properly staked (so it doesn't fly off at the wrong moment) are conceptually simple, but the devil is in the details. I'm never comfortable with deforming metal on purpose, so I'd be leaving that to the gunsmith for certain.

No matter which mounting route you take, if you keep it simple and get a plain black sight of the proper width, you can start with one you know to be too high and iteratively file it down to the height you need - taking the guesswork out of picking the right size. There's a lot to be said for a plain, square black front post in a basic rear notch - the bullseye shooters have been telling us that for years.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links