Stopped While Carrying - Page 2

Stopped While Carrying

This is a discussion on Stopped While Carrying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Amazing you treated him with respect and he did the same what is this world coming to. The time to have an argument isn't three ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stopped While Carrying

Distinguished Member
    Amazing you treated him with respect and he did the same what is this world coming to.

The time to have an argument isn't three in the morning on either side.

Good job in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
    He was very polite so I saw no need to act like thoes guys that intentionaly bait cops and go all, your violationg my rights!
    By bait, you mean walk down the street or have lunch with friends all the while giving absolutely no reason for the officers to stop them and repeatedly request/demand their id which they have no obligation to show?

Glad the stop went well for you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Ive always heard driving is a priviledge not a right. When did this become popular??? Was driving a ox cart a priviledge?
    Riding a horse?? A covered wagon? When old Henry gave us the Ford did it suddenly dawn on politicians that there was money to be made on licences and plates tickets etc and that is when that little ditty was born??

Ive always been curious about that.
    When you stopped riding your covered wagon across the tall grass prairie land and started driving a car on a road that was built and is maintained by tax dollars. You have a right to locomotion on public right of ways. You do not have a right to drive on public roads.
    hk45c and maxwell97 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Finaly a chance to return and comment.

Thanks all for the responses and compliments. I was pretty nervous at first but for me thats normal, not that I get stopped often. To answer a couple of questions, this was on a side street (where the new school is) in Collierville just off that mess of a construction hole that is 72. Also I drive a silver '06 Dodge Stratus.

I have often wondered about LEOs running plates. I dont have a problem with it per say, I just didnt think they could without reason. A large portion of Memphis PDs fleet is equipped with plate readers/video cameras but most of them are aimed skyward when not on a stop.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

I don't go to that part of Memphis because I live north of town closer to Millington. I do drive through Frayser every day and work downtown, so I see a LOT of MPD.

I think you and the LEO handled that well. Consider yourself lucky because you got a good one. I hear too many war stories of bad interactions with LEOs where I work.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    He was probably just bored, but stopping a vehicle like that is a dangerous way for him to entertain himself.

Officers never know what they are going to encounter when making a traffic stop.

You did good.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

So, you acted like an intelligent person with respect and the officer treated you the same way? Be proud of yourself and carry on!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

VIP Member
    Getting pulled over is just one of the hazards of driving a AMC Gremlin. Very few left on the road and the cop wants to see what they look like inside!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    When you stopped riding your covered wagon across the tall grass prairie land and started driving a car on a road that was built and is maintained by tax dollars. You have a right to locomotion on public right of ways. You do not have a right to drive on public roads.
    So it's a "privilege" to drive on a road that was built and is maintained by my tax dollars??? NOT!!!

This is a myth that is perpetuated by people who want to exaggerate (and expand) the power of Government.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I really dont have interest in wrangling this but Ill add this and leave it alone. I like my version of money making state officials better.

Most of the roads first built except in huge cities were little more than model Ts following the wagon roads already cut thru the country side by the folks that lived there. mostly dirt roads a few graveled with creek gravel in really bad spots. And most of that land was just given over to the state by the owners when the state decided to pave them and maybe straighten them out a tad. Im talking normal roads not interstate which didnt exist then.

At any rate the state or federal government in actuality does not own anything. Zip zero nada. They have no money. Until they take it in taxes from the folks that drive on those roads. In reality they forcibly take money they do not have to buy or build something then claim sole ownership of it. They do not own the roads, the citizens that paid for them do. So that argument holds no water. I when it comes down to right or wrong have every right to drive on any road the state built since I probably own the space my vehicle occupies at any given time anyway.

Yeah thats not the way it works and its never going to change and wouldnt be worth it to try. But the state claiming ownership of the highways is the same as someone stealing all your money by force, buying a car, gun or horse and then claiming they rightfully own it. As in most things governmental, the line between thieves and criminals and moral truthful and honest is razor thin. But hey thats the way it is right??
    Kilowatt3 and maxwell97 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

...I think EVERY Gremlin had a little weed inserted under the back seat before it passed final inspection at the factory...
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Getting pulled over is just one of the hazards of driving a AMC Gremlin. Very few left on the road and the cop wants to see what they look like inside!
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Yeah thats not the way it works and its never going to change and wouldnt be worth it to try. But the state claiming ownership of the highways is the same as someone stealing all your money by force, buying a car, gun or horse and then claiming they rightfully own it. As in most things governmental, the line between thieves and criminals and moral truthful and honest is razor thin. But hey thats the way it is right??
    Well said. It is indeed a thin line, and with nothing on the "honest" side of it.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    They are just pulling you over to see if you upgraded to the Levi's denim seats.

VIP Member
    A government laying a tax is a legitimate function of government. Paying the taxes is a part of the social contract that you're party to by living in civil society. You can claim that the government doesn't have any money if you choose, but that doesn't make it true. The government makes money through taxation. They rightfully use that money to perform the needed things that the private sector could not or would not do. There are many rightful expenditures of this money. Military, police, fire protection, schools, water systems, sewage, etc. are all things that we all benefit from yet would be nearly impossible for us to fund on our own. Roads are similar. No amount of internet legal talk changes that you do not have a right to drive on a road unless you built the road for your own use on land you own. The use of roads built by the government is rightfully governed by those that built it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links