Stopped While Carrying

Stopped While Carrying

This is a discussion on Stopped While Carrying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, its been a little while but Ive been busy with personal stuff. I hope everyone is well. Just wanted to share my latest ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stopped While Carrying

Stopped While Carrying

Hey all, its been a little while but Ive been busy with personal stuff. I hope everyone is well.

Just wanted to share my latest experience. I was on my way home from work the other night and decided to take the construction detour off the main road instead of cutting through a parking lot to my road. A local officer had been following me for about 2 miles and when I turned off 72 he hit his lights. It was about 2am and I wasnt speeding, blasting music or anything other than maybe driving too slow. Even in this suburb outside Memphis we get a lot of deer and between it being dark and lots of blind spots from the construction, I tend to keep it around 20-25 instead of the posted 30.

I pulled over, shut my engine off, hazzards and inside dome light on with both hands on the wheel and my windows down. Of course my work shirt (for a local amblance service) neatly laid in the back seat patch facing up. My Glock 23 was in its holster wedged between my seat and center console, loaded and ready to go of course. In Tennessee we dont have a duty to inform unless we are asked. My local PD sometimes runs 2 officers to a car and at a stop one approaches on the passenger side where my gun would be most visible. The officer (only one) approached me and I made the first contact, "Good morning officer. Before we proceed I would like to inform you that I have a Tennessee handgun permit and have a loaded firearm within my reach. How would you like to proceed?" He paused and I told him exactly where it was. He was very courteous and asked me if I would mind stepping out of the vehicle. I restated that the gun is next to my seatbelt release and then slowly reached down with one hand, unbuckled and moved both hands back in sight to open the door.

At the back of my car he asked for my license, I gave him that and my permit, then politley asked why I was stopped. He thanked me for informing him of the gun and showing my permit and told me that he ran my plates and it came back as a 2013 registration despite having a 2014 sticker. I wanted to ask why he ran my plate in the first place but kept my mouth shut. After radioing dispatch I heard them inform everything is clean and that I have a valid carry permit (glad I informed). I expected them to have that on file since our permit numbers are also our DL numbers. We chatted for a moment then he shook my hand and let me go.

The thing is, I have been stopped back in April and this whole registration sticker issue never happened. It was hard for me to bite my tounge and not say a word and in the end, fortunatley it worked out. He was very polite so I saw no need to act like thoes guys that intentionaly bait cops and go all, your violationg my rights!
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

I get stopped every time I got through there if where you describe is where I think I travel down 72 to see my family in alabama a lot, they harass my wife much more than me through there

Sounds like you handled things correctly.

I think LEO's pretty frequently run plates just because.
    tony1990 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Sounds like you handled things correctly.

I think LEO's pretty frequently run plates just because.
    Have been for years and will continue to do so. My sergeant called me in the office one night and commended me on the number of stolen vehicles I was recovering. He asked how I was doing it. I told him I just rode through commercial parking lots at 3:00 am and wrote down license numbers. I would go back to the station and have communications run the plates. This was pre-computer in the car days. I averaged two stolen vehicles a week.
    Sister likes this.

The license plate is property of the state. They can run it any time they like. The license plate is connected to driving. Driving is a privledge, not a right.
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; August 9th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
    hk45c, SIXTO, Warrior1256 and 2 others like this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    At least the officer was polite and not the type that get offended when someone says they carry. And you also handled it real well; I can't stand people who look to scream about a LEO's "taking" away their rights. Police often times just run plates just on the off chance that something may come up. Had several events when officers follow me and pull off. They run the plates. Who do you think they catch some people with warrents and stuff.

No harm, no foul...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You did all the right things. Memphis is no place to be without being fully armed. I was at Tom Givens Tactical Conference last March and that was the largest group of fully armed folks I have ever been in including more than two dozen local, state, and federal officers. His range is just across the street from one of the Memphis PD Precincts. Everybody knew everybody was carrying one or more guns.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

More BGs are caught during routine traffic stops than any other reason. In WA state we are required to purchase our plates every 7 years along with the new registration.

I think the OP handled the stop well. He got a decent LEO to work with. Everyone wins here.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Ive always heard driving is a priviledge not a right. When did this become popular??? Was driving a ox cart a priviledge?
    Riding a horse?? A covered wagon? When old Henry gave us the Ford did it suddenly dawn on politicians that there was money to be made on licences and plates tickets etc and that is when that little ditty was born??

Ive always been curious about that.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

What kind of a car do you have ...muscle car, cadaliac? Has to be a reason for them to stop you. Are you Black? We all know cops are racists!!

I hear they will always stop a red car. Its something psychological about RED CARS.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    What kind of a car do you have ...muscle car, cadaliac? Has to be a reason for them to stop you. Are you Black? We all know cops are racists!!
    Don't lump all LEO's as racists. Just because black americans statisically commit more crimes and violence doesn't make those that arrest racist.
    Warrior1256 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    Don't lump all LEO's as racists. Just because black americans statisically commit more crimes and violence doesn't make those that arrest racist.
    OK I think this was said as humor.... at least thats how I took it. Now you have made it about race.

Hence my name fuelhauler.... I deliver fuel to both city and county shops out here in MN. They are now putting cameras on top of the cars that just read plates and if something is wrong with the plate or owner of the vehicle it takes a picture of the plate and vehicle and tells the leo what is wrong. One leo has told me he could do a couple hundred in a shift to now where the computer/camera can do a couple thousand in a shift.
    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links