I need help identifying a gun

This is a discussion on I need help identifying a gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need help identifying this gun. It belongs to my FIL and will probably be mine one day. He asked me to clean this and ...

Thread: I need help identifying a gun

I need help identifying a gun

I need help identifying this gun. It belongs to my FIL and will probably be mine one day. He asked me to clean this and another one up. The trigger on this one doesn't reset, so I need to get a model number so I can look it up on Numrich and see if the parts are avaialble.
    Here is what I know:
    It is a H & R.
    The side of the barrel reads "38 S+W,CTGE"
    The barrel reads "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co"
    Under that "Worcester Mass USA"
    Serial on the bottom of the grip is 1311XX
    I don't know if it helps but the sybol on the top of the grip is a target with some holes in it (probably speaks very well to the accuracy of the gun, they are all over)

It has about 98% of the bluing left (couple small spots of surface rust)
    Cylinder is tight at lock-up

I have read that this may be an H&R copy of the Smith "Lemon Squeezer" but no model is given.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have one of these that I got from my father in law as well.

I also have the issue of the trigger not resetting. I found it is the small leaf spring that is behind trigger, in the one I have the spring is broken. So far I have not been able to find a replacement.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Well - IMO you have basically done the ID! Short of giving it a name but I expect someone will have extra info hopefully..

IIRC H&R made a lot of these 38 S&W top break revo's - Ivor Johnson also made a lot of similar style guns.

Spring failures seem pretty common. Could be worth getting a pack of spring steel strips from Brownells and making a new one.

The condition of that one seems above average - many by now being pretty abused.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

goawayfarm: How difficult is dissassembly? I haven't tried that yet to see what's wrong. Do you have printed instructions? Or did you just wing it?

A little info please. I assume that it is a 5 shot with fixed sights?

Yes 5 shot fixed sights (the rear sight is a part of the latch.)

Sorry about that, got ahead of myself. Trying to work and look this up at the same time.

Is it an automatic ejector: in other words, when you open the top break and fold it over, does the star come out to extract the spent shells?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    goawayfarm: How difficult is dissassembly? I haven't tried that yet to see what's wrong. Do you have printed instructions? Or did you just wing it?
    It's really not hard to take apart for a revolver. It is easier than a Smith & Wesson to strip. It has just a couple of pins & a couple of screws. The spring is held in by a screw that you can see when you break open cylinder. Look for the screw along the top of the bottom strap, right under the cylinder.
    Last edited by goawayfarm; November 29th, 2006 at 03:51 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

If it is anything like my H&R, hose it with carb cleaner, and only take it apart if absolutely necessary. I argued with mine for three days before it went back together.

As far as identifying that gun, I am leaning towards it being an H&R Automatic Ejecting.

When they were manufactured, they were avaliable in .32S&W (6 shot) and .38S&W (5 shot), double action, 3 1/4", 4", 5", or 6" barrels. Made in blued steel or nickel finishes and black (hard) rubber grips. Manufacturing began around 1896, and I can't tell when production ended. In the condition you describe, it could be valued between $90-$150 dollars.

If you have a book store near you that has the Bluebook of Gun Values, most of this info was found in it (26th edition) on page 764.

H&R's were manufactured between 1871-1986 when they quit production on all firearms. The name was bought by another company (Marlin if I remember correctly) and still used. Handgun production resumed for a short period, but the single shot shotgun is still produced. A starters pistol is all that I can find that is in recent production as far as hand guns go.

VIP Member
    Since I do not see a hammer, I would suggest that you have an H&R Hammerless Double Action, Large Frame pistol. Production of this pistol was stopped before 1942.
    .38 S&W was a 5 shot, barrel length was 3.25, 4, and 6 inches, and it was available in blued or nickel finish with hard rubber grips. The large frame was also available in .32 S&W Long which was a 6 shot.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Looks like everyone helped ID it. Nice looking classic style to that revo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It is auto ejecting.
    As far as not taking it apart, I need to replace that spring.
    Thanks for all the help.

Links