Gun stuck in safe...

This is a discussion on Gun stuck in safe... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well...not a great start today. Getting my gear ready for a visit to the range. I went to grab a pistol out of my Game ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Gun stuck in safe...

Gun stuck in safe...

Well...not a great start today. Getting my gear ready for a visit to the range. I went to grab a pistol out of my Game Winner safe inside a drawer and the safe will not open. Combination is correct. I may have to break this thing open. Good thing it happened now and not when I really needed it. No more cheap safes for me.

2. Remove Ads

Is it a manual combination type safe lock? If so try to push the dial in then re enter the combination, if you get it open/ trash it afterwards

Is it a handgun box or a full-sized safe?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Recommendation: Don't use dynamite or C-4!!!
    lionround, Brent95 and pittypat21 like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Hmm... Dead battery, maybe? Or perhaps the combo reset to the default?
    Grinder likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Like this one below, but with a combination lock. I can reset the combination once it's opened. I will have to dig up the manual and see what I can do. I definitely won't use C4! Perhaps a screwdriver if it comes down to it...

10180659.jpg
    towman likes this.

Does it have a panel on the side where you can "jump" it with a 9 volt battery?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member
    A good strong screwdriver and a hammer should get you into it. or hacksaw off the hinges.
    pittypat21 and Grinder like this.

I've got a couple of boxes. Sometimes think they create more problems than they solve.
    Grinder, Hopyard and atctimmy like this.

I'd walk out in my garage and cut the hinges off
    Grinder and Sister like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just yell to your gun and tell it to shoot its way out!
    F350_6, Tzadik, archer51 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Like this one below, but with a combination lock. I can reset the combination once it's opened. I will have to dig up the manual and see what I can do. I definitely won't use C4! Perhaps a screwdriver if it comes down to it...

10180659.jpg
    Saw this the other day from someone having the same problem.

"One week ago, I bought the GunVault NanoVault 300 with combination lock. I was looking for something to hold my new Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm. I wanted something that was secure enough to keep my firearm out of wandering hands around the house, but didn't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a safe that was so secure, it would keep thieves away.

So, I settled on the GunVault NanoVault 300. I wanted the NanoVault 200 originally because of the key access, but my M&P wouldn't fit in it. Even with the 300, my M&P is a very tight fight.

The safe worked great for my needs. I could lock it up at night, lock it in my car, it wasn't terribly heavy, it was easily portable and easy to use. But, that's where the benefits stop.

Last night, I went to open my safe and the knob wouldn't turn. I thought well, this is interesting . So I recirculated the numbers and tried again, still a fail. I tried 0-0-0 (the factory default) and still, the knob was locked. So, my firearm was stuck in my safe.

So, the following morning, I called GunVault for customer service. When I called the first time, they hung up within 30 seconds while we were speaking. I thought it was a fluke, so I called back and chatted with a different representative. The customer service representative told me the only option I had was to break open the safe. He offered to exchange the safe for a new one. He asked me to e-mail him a copy of my customer receipt and pictures of the broken NanoVault. I asked for his e-mail and after stating 4 letters, he hung up.

I got fed up, so I proceeded to break into the NanoVault. I had looked up on YouTube, without much avail, as to how to break into the safe. So, I mostly had to guess at it. I've never tried to break into a safe and yet on my first try, I broke into the NanoVault in about 2 minutes. All you need is 3 screwdrivers. If you insert the screwdriver at the small opening where the cable point is and then pry against the top around the edges, the small lock on the interior breaks with ease.

Luckily, I called the store I purchased the NanoVault from (Greentop Sporting Goods) and they happily refunded my purchase.

As a quick summary, the NanoVault is extremely easy to break into. Use it if you want to keep your firearm out of wandering hands, but really nothing else. I accepted the fact that my lock getting stuck maybe was a manufacturing mistake (even though 5 minutes of online research proved otherwise) and was willing to purchase another safe. But after dealing with GunVault customer service I decided to not purchase another safe from GunVault."
    Grinder likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    3 digits? There's only 1000 combos. Take your time, have a seat in front of the TV, and start with 000 and work up. might take a while but it can be don't--unless it's flat out broken!
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Couple drops of clp or other penetrating lube . Give a bit to soak in and try the key again. If no luck get a hammer and screw driver and go to trashing the lock from the side. Disregard in gray open top file in the corner.
    Why do you use a small safe like that. Leave at the ready in your drawer or get a real safe and have it ready to go. Screw'n with a key in a drawer takes to long. Maybe a counter top safe or wall safe that offers several ways to get in it.
    We have a paragon wall safe with a hinged picture over it. Fit between the wall studs.
    Paragon Lock And Safe - 7700 Premium Wall Safe

This is one price we paid 3 years ago and still the same deal. - Paragon Safes Flat Electronic Hidden Wall Safe for Large Jewelry or Small Handgun Security - Amazon.com

But even then the good stuff is very well hidin and locked away

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    3 digits? There's only 1000 combos. Take your time, have a seat in front of the TV, and start with 000 and work up. might take a while but it can be don't--unless it's flat out broken!
    /\/\/\/\/\/\ How retired people break into safes!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links