Starbucks closes store in Newton CT early due to OC gathering

This is a discussion on Starbucks closes store in Newton CT early due to OC gathering within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Official Response from Starbucks I completely understand that Starbucks, a private company, has every right to do whatever they want with their private property and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Starbucks closes store in Newton CT early due to OC gathering

Starbucks closes store in Newton CT early due to OC gathering

Official Response from Starbucks

I completely understand that Starbucks, a private company, has every right to do whatever they want with their private property and stores. I know what they did is completely legal, I just feel it's rather lame.

What bothers me the most is that I recently discovered Starbucks rather neutral standpoint on the matter from their own page:

We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. That means we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.
    So given they've put it out as, "the law is the law, we follow it" it seems they still didn't want to offend the antis too much by allowing a civilized gathering to go on. Using the Newton tragedy for PR is also getting old by now. Furthermore, if they were truly "sensitive" to the "feelings" around Newton CT, they'd see that Pistol Permit Applications Soar in Connecticut Town Known for School Shooting...

EDIT: Upon doing some further research it seems it was just an attempt from the OC community's as a way of saying "thanks" to Starbucks by visiting. More info about the OC Appreciation Day here

2. Remove Ads

My question is...would this same Starbucks also close "early" if there was an "anti-gun" gathering scheduled?
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strmwatch View Post
    My question is...would this same Starbucks also close "early" if there was an "anti-gun" gathering scheduled?
    My guess would be no, they would not.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

In fairness to Starbuck's, they're a business, not an advocacy group. Its owners want to sell coffee, and very likely have no interest in getting in the middle of a controversial issue. Let's just be glad that they're rational about their policies and not pandering to the antis, we all know there's enough of that going on.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Some people in Southern California, frustrated by non-issue of CCWs made a public spectacle of OCing at Starbucks. This resulted in OC becoming illegal in the cities, and scared a bunch of know-nots and waiters.
    Starbucks has a point. "As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue." They are a business, and don't want to be used as a rallying point. Good Americans should honor that sentiment, and respect the fact that they have not banned OC in their stores. Don't be "those guys".
    sensei2, shooterX and Tzadik like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Just another case where, when the rubber meets the road....they fold.
    sonnycrocket likes this.

That's weak on their part. They should have said, "We allow legal activities in our establishment. If someone doesn't like carrying a weapon, they are free not to do so while they are here enjoying coffee. If they do like carrying a weapon, they are free to do so while they are here enjoying coffee. We are not going to tell law-abiding citizens which way go as they are free to choose for themselves."
    Brad426 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Why is it lame for a store to close if they know two sides are planning on making its location the venue of a politically charged debate?

As for the policy, it is neutral. They respect the laws of the state. Would you respect them more if they advocated one position over the other?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    It may well be that with the sensitivities that still exist in and over the Newton event, Starbucks was showing respect to the children and families.

I have no problem with what they did.....Starbucks has no political gun agenda either side.
    PEF and IndianaSig like this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

BOYCOTT,,,,, STARBUCKS,,,, money is the only thing
    they UNDERSTAND.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    BOYCOTT,,,,, STARBUCKS,,,, money is the only thing
    they UNDERSTAND.
    Why boycott a chain that allows OC and CC where legal?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    In fairness to Starbuck's, they're a business, not an advocacy group. Its owners want to sell coffee, and very likely have no interest in getting in the middle of a controversial issue. Let's just be glad that they're rational about their policies and not pandering to the antis, we all know there's enough of that going on.
    This!
    Starbucks has no dog in this fight. The sell coffee and respect (not defend) our second amendment rights. From what I gather a group of OC folks decided to "thank" Starbucks by showing up in mass in an event publicized on social media. Starbucks, wanting only to sell coffee did not see the potential conflict between the pro gun OC group and any anti gun group that may decide to show up to be beneficial to their BUSINESS.
    Lets go over it again. Starbucks sells coffee. Starbucks respects the local jurisdictions laws and allows people to carry accordingly. Starbucks is not involved in gun advocacy or anti gun advocacy. STARBUCKS SELLS COFFEE!
    Being successful in business means not alienating ANY group. I know one of our local Starbucks closed up for a day because they are located in the same plaza as a planned parenthood and there was a protest going on involving pro choice and anti abortion groups.
    Starbucks follows local laws and does not discriminate again gun owners and allows carry in their stores in accordance with local laws. We have more than enough businesses that do discriminate against gun owners. Why try to make one of the good guys into a bad guy? Grow up.
    dben002, PEF, welder516 and 8 others like this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

VIP Member
    I think the only thing you can ask any business in the gun carry issue . ( open or concealed ) is to follow the local laws . If they do that then we all should visit and buy from them . IMO
    gatorbait51 and sensei2 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

As a business establishment, why should they feel pressure to shut their doors and prevent people from spending their money with them? All they have to say is, "We sell coffee. We do it from x hour to x hour. Anyone wanting to buy coffee from us during business hours is welcome as long as they are acting in a legal and courteous manner. In the course of conducting our business purpose, we are neither endorsing nor denouncing any particular groups and causes. We sell coffee."

The fact that they are closing early is essentially turning away patrons' money and is actually making a statement..."We don't want YOUR money."

Just my opinion. I don't drink their stuff anyway, so no skin off my nose.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

As I understand it, they didn't close in response to the planned OC gathering, they closed when it turned out there would be competing demonstrations. There's nothing wrong with a company deciding not to take a stand -- very few actually do.

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/early-...nnecticut/1264

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links