Can Question

This is a discussion on Can Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anybody had to send a Can back to AAC for repair? Just wanted to get some feedback as to what they will actually do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Question

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Can Question

Has anybody had to send a Can back to AAC for repair? Just wanted to get some feedback as to what they will actually do for you. EVO-9 can Dosn't seem to want to clean using the laquer thinner they suggested also I noticted that the O-Ring on the "Nielson Device" has desintagrated. Also, I think I may have cracked the first baffle.

MY tactical can seems to rattle alittle bit. The bafflein in the tube. Is this normal?

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

AAC is the only one that can or will fix it. They have a good reputation. If it rattles, something is wrong.

It's not fair, I want a can! I'm too cheap.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

The main problem with cans is threefold:

CLEO has to sign off on it, which is a considerable hassle even if he agrees to it. I had a hard enough time getting the CLEO to take the copy of my C&R application and all they have to do with that is toss it in a file cabinet to rot. It's not because they had anything against me or what I was doing, it's just that the CLEO is a busy busy man.

You have to drive a few hours to find a Class 3 dealer who can transfer it to you.

With the $200 tax stamp, if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound. If this stamp didn't exist, sub $100 cans would actually exist I believe. I don't see why you couldn't build a suppressor which was 70% as good as the expensive ones for $150 or less.

I think (read: I heard it fourth hand) that you can have a corporation be the owner and that voids the CLEO part. Plus, any member of the Corp can use the can and transport it.

YMMV, and please check it out.

That's true (I looked into getting a can next year) but you have to actually create a real corporation with actual paperwork. That involves getting a lawyer. That would be fine if you wanted to own several Class 3 items or wanted any officer of the company to be able to transport the item or whatever, but for one person who wants one can on one gun, it's a considerable hassle. Plus every year what kind of licensing and taxes are you going to have to pay for your dummy corporation?

Once again, in for a penny...

everyone on arfcom uses a trust...you can buy a <$20 piece of software to write one for you, pay a notary to notarize it...some banks do this for free...then print out all your paperwork and send it in to the ATF with your $200 check...no fingerprints...no photos..no CLEO signoff...no expense of forming a corp

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    The main problem with cans is threefold:

CLEO has to sign off on it, which is a considerable hassle even if he agrees to it. I had a hard enough time getting the CLEO to take the copy of my C&R application and all they have to do with that is toss it in a file cabinet to rot. It's not because they had anything against me or what I was doing, it's just that the CLEO is a busy busy man.

You have to drive a few hours to find a Class 3 dealer who can transfer it to you.

With the $200 tax stamp, if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound. If this stamp didn't exist, sub $100 cans would actually exist I believe. I don't see why you couldn't build a suppressor which was 70% as good as the expensive ones for $150 or less.
    Its not as bad as it sounds. Yes hollowed out aluminum tubs with baffles inside that are threaded shouldn't be $1000 dollars plus $200 dollars. However, the wait has been severly cut. My local officer took 3 weeks to sign off on my 9 can, only because he was in court for so long and couldn't get to it. Thats fine ATF took 2 weeks for my pending date and then 11 days to approve it. I was SHOCKED out of my mind. My second can was only about 1 week for local 2 weeks for pending date, and then 12 days for approval.

ATF has it down less then a month.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    everyone on arfcom uses a trust...you can buy a <$20 piece of software to write one for you, pay a notary to notarize it...some banks do this for free...then print out all your paperwork and send it in to the ATF with your $200 check...no fingerprints...no photos..no CLEO signoff...no expense of forming a corp
    I did not know that was legal or possible. Shows what I know. Is there a link?

I only mention it because I have genuinely thought about it. I don't need one at all, but I'm thinking about doing it just to put another Class 3 item out there. My motives are purely political and subversive.

It just seems like a lot of expense and hassle for a symbolic act.

Depending on your state, trusts or little to no hassle LLCs are an option.

My setup cost for the LLC was $100. My yearly fee is 5 minutes of my time.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Moderator
    I don't see why you couldn't build a suppressor which was 70% as good as the expensive ones for $150 or less.
    You can. All it takes is a form 1.
    Last edited by HotGuns; November 29th, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I did not know that was legal or possible. Shows what I know. Is there a link?

I only mention it because I have genuinely thought about it. I don't need one at all, but I'm thinking about doing it just to put another Class 3 item out there. My motives are purely political and subversive.

It just seems like a lot of expense and hassle for a symbolic act.
    yeah, I can relate to the reasons ...same reason I'll be getting some when I move out of here...the other good thing about a trust as opposed to a personally owned item is that you can designate other people that can have access to the item...and you can pass it on (when you pass on) with no additional transfer. LLC in Texas is ~$300 if I recall correctly (but I could be wrong) so a trust would certainly be less money. I'll try to find you that link.

Thanks. I really do think we need to put more Class 3 items out there, but it's hard for most people for all the reasons I've run into.

Thanks. I really do think we need to put more Class 3 items out there, but it's hard for most people for all the reasons I've run into.
    yep, I agree...I want to do my part to get more class 3 items out there!!! ...seriously actually

I think the biggest problem, and perhaps a blessing in disguise, is that most people think that SBS, SBR, Suppressors, and Machine guns are illegal. Bad because the public awareness isn't there...even among gun owners...good because I think they sort of "fly under the radar" as far as any more laws go since they make you jump through so many hoops as it is...I don't think that many lawmakers even know that an average joe can go out, write a check for $200 to the federal gov. and buy a fully automatic weapon.

of course I'm of the opinion that both the 86 ban and the 37 NFA aren't legal so you pretty much know how I feel about them.

oh and two more things!
    1. Sorry to Rob for hijacking your thread!
    2. Here's the link that Euclidean asked for about setting up a trust instead of the other options:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=17
    Click on "Setting up a trust instead of a corp for NFA items"

if you look further down on the list there will be more info and some of the newer stuff is more up to date...like with links on where to get willmaker for <$20 etc. etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links