Travelling and storage

Travelling and storage

This is a discussion on Travelling and storage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be travelling from TX to FL soon w/ my family on vacation. I recently obtained a CHL. I just want to double check ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By warbirds

Thread: Travelling and storage

Travelling and storage

I will be travelling from TX to FL soon w/ my family on vacation. I recently obtained a CHL. I just want to double check to make sure I can go through LA, MS, AL and FL OK.

While in the car, where is the best place to keep my weapon? I will have 3 kids (girls) in the backseat, 18,16,11. My 11 y/o knows never to touch a weapon if they see one in the house. I have gun safes at home.

I have taken out the 18 and 16 y/o several times to shoot. Their are familiar w/ 38 special and 9MM. I will be taking my 9MM w/ me.

Any thoughts on how you would go about it are appreciated.

Last few times I've been that way by car, one could travel legally with easy, but it's been a few years. You want to investigate state by state.

I carry two handguns on road trips. One always kept on me and an additional "car gun" in the door bin of the car.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My wife makes that drive regularly with our boys to her parents house in Florida. I do it a few times a year. She drives w/holster on but gun stowed in the center console until she is ready to pull over. I drive with the gun in the holster the whole time. Your kids are old enough to explain the gun to them and why you are carrying so I would just have a quick talk about it before the trip.

Enjoy your vacation!

TxDPS - CHL Agreements with Other States
    sanfordreed likes this.

VIP Member
    The states you'll be traveling through and to all honor your TX permit, so no problem there. You need to remember though, TX laws only apply while inside TX. Once you cross the state line, you are responsible for the laws of the state your in. When I travel I go to Handgunlaw.us for each state I'll be going through. I print out the information and put it in a 3 ring binder to carry with me in the vehicle.

As where to carry your gun while driving. I keep mine on my person. I hate taking it off and putting it on when I make stops.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Here is a link to the USA Carry Map: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

It looks like every state you are traveling through honors your carry permit so you should be all good. Just click on your state, then click on resident or non-resident and it will show you which states honor your permit.

Sponsored Links