Gun ID question

Gun ID question

This is a discussion on Gun ID question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gonna get a bit embarrassed by asking this but I've googled it and still can't figure it out. 1) How do you tell if a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Gun ID question

VIP Member

Gun ID question

Gonna get a bit embarrassed by asking this but I've googled it and still can't figure it out.

1) How do you tell if a gun is an alphabet shape? I can look at the guns and see the letter "J", but for the life of me I can't see the "K" or "N" and don't know if there are any other alphabet shapes but they all look like a "J" to me.

2) What's with all the numbers? I do know what the caliber number is but now I see y'all talking about 1911 (I think that's it) and using other numbers. Googled that too and couldn't really get an easy answer ~ bunch of jibberish to me. Can anyone simplify this?

Also, I did get a gun book that helps with taking them apart and all but can anyone suggest a good book that makes it "simple" for someone to understand the different kinds, shapes and just Identifying the guns in general? I really want to learn all I can. My brother and male friends never talked about any of this, they just gave me the gun and I kept shooting.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Are you talking about S&W revolvers?
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

1. J, K, and N are all different sized frames of Smith and Wesson revolver's

2. M1911 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The 1911 is a legendary platform and is produced by ALOT of different companies.
    Sister and maxwell97 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    Are you talking about S&W revolvers?
    I don't know...am I?

Not being a smart donkey, but that is why I asked! Probably so, I got two S&W but they both have a handle and a hole for the bullet to come out and a trigger to make the bullet come out. You tell me?!

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

What is the difference between a K-frame and a J-frame? - Yahoo! Answers

Size classifications. I had that feeling, but like you I did not know. ( a lot of items are classified by letters of the alphabet) Tires are Speed rated that way.
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roost426 View Post

2. M1911 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The 1911 is a legendary platform and is produced by ALOT of different companies.

Good! #1 answers the first question. Which one is bigger, med, and small?

#2, already been there and still don't get it, just raised more questions. What is the "M" for, what does the numbers 1911 mean, and what's the difference between a double action and single action since it's a semi? I couldn't tell you if my semi is a single or double?

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Good! #1 answers the first question. Which one is bigger, med, and small?

#2, already been there and still don't get it, just raised more questions. What is the "M" for, what does the numbers 1911 mean, and what's the difference between a double action and single action since it's a semi? I couldn't tell you if my semi is a single or double?
    1.Smith & Wesson has produced revolvers over the years in several standard frame sizes. "M refers to the small early Ladysmith frame, I to the small .32 frame, J to the small .38 frame, K to the medium .38 frame, L to medium large, and N to the largest .44 Magnum type frame.[18] In 2003, the even larger X frame was introduced for the .500 S&W Magnum.

2. The M is for Model, 1911 is the year it was adopted for service.
    Following its success in trials, the Colt pistol was formally adopted by the Army on March 29, 1911, thus gaining its designation, M1911 (Model 1911),

On a double action when you pull the trigger you would be cycling the action of the weapon with your trigger pull, on single action such as the 1911 you have to pull the slide back manually and the hammer stays in the cocked position and is then carried with the safety ON hence the term "cocked and locked".

Best example is if you have shot revolvers, on many you can either just squeeze the trigger and the cylinder rotates before firing this is double action. or you can pull the hammer back with your thumb thus cocking it and rotating the cylinder now when you go to pull the trigger you are in single action.
    Sister, msgt/ret, stylus and 2 others like this.

This thread has potential.
    Potential for what, I'm not sure.
    But I'm going to watch it and grin.
    jcm likes this.
    Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Based on my limited knowledge, concerning Smith & Wesson, K frames are larger all the way around than J frames are. It has nothing to do with shape. It's a size difference. Early S&W small frame guns were called I frames, then they had the J frames. Along with the J frames were K frames, like the Model 10. Next size up is L, next up are N frames, like the Model 29 Dirty Harry used. Next size up is the X frame, this is how S&W was able to set the record for most powerful production handgun, by making the biggest revolver.

As for the 1911, that was the year that that style of firearms was first introduced. See Roost426's post.Otherwise, for many other firearm brands, the numbers following the model name is typically the production series identifier assigned by the manufacturer. I'm sure there are many more specifics concerning this and I'm sure we will all be further educated by following posts... and that my friend, is the great part of these forums!
    Sister likes this.

VIP Member
    You are my new best friend Roost26!

I got a double action! Pulling that slide back is difficult for me so I'm now glad it's a double.

@finst3r - don't you make fun, I got high friends in places here!

1.Smith & Wesson has produced revolvers over the years in several standard frame sizes. "M refers to the small early Ladysmith frame, I to the small .32 frame, J to the small .38 frame, K to the medium .38 frame, L to medium large, and N to the largest .44 Magnum type frame.[18] In 2003, the even larger X frame was introduced for the .500 S&W Magnum.

2. The M is for Model, 1911 is the year it was adopted for service.
    Following its success in trials, the Colt pistol was formally adopted by the Army on March 29, 1911, thus gaining its designation, M1911 (Model 1911),

On a double action when you pull the trigger you would be cycling the action of the weapon with your trigger pull, on single action such as the 1911 you have to pull the slide back manually and the hammer stays in the cocked position and is then carried with the safety ON hence the term "cocked and locked".

Best example is if you have shot revolvers, on many you can either just squeeze the trigger and the cylinder rotates before firing this is double action. or you can pull the hammer back with your thumb thus cocking it and rotating the the cylinder now when you go to pull the trigger you are in single action.
    finst3r likes this.

~ Jesus ~

VIP Member
    [Many of the current serial numbers do not have J/K/L/N/X frame designations, some of the older ones do]. It is easiest to become familiar with Smiths current product line. Here's the current offering, from smallest to largest.

J frame - small, five shot Snubbies. Examples: Model 36, 60, 640. There are actually two frames here. The older ".38 only" j-frame and the slightly beefed up "J Magnum" frame. The latter was introduced in the mid 90's.

K Frame - medium frame six shot revolvers. Examples: Model 10, 19, 65, 65. Dates back to 1899.

L Frame - Large frame revolvers. Made to address some issues regarding K frames, and to provide a slightly smaller .357 frame than the N frame. Examples: 586, 681, 686. Introduced in 1981.

N Frame: Large frame revolvers heavier than L frame. Dirty Harry's gun, the Model 29. Also model 27, 28, 51. For .357, .41, .44 and 45.

X Frame: Ridiculously Huge revolvers. Made for people with lots of disposable income that like to either a) hunt really big beasts with a handgun; b) kill paper targets with extreme prejudice or c) seek admission to the Tinnitus Hall of Fame. Examples: Smith 460 and Smith 500.
    Last edited by PEF; August 11th, 2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Corrected inaccuracy w/r/t SN Designators
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    Based on my limited knowledge, concerning Smith & Wesson, K frames are larger all the way around than J frames are. It has nothing to do with shape. It's a size difference. Early S&W small frame guns were called I frames, then they had the J frames. Along with the J frames were K frames, like the Model 10. Next size up is L, next up are N frames, like the Model 29 Dirty Harry used. Next size up is the X frame, this is how S&W was able to set the record for most powerful production handgun, by making the biggest revolver.

As for the 1911, that was the year that that style of firearms was first introduced. See Roost426's post.Otherwise, for many other firearm brands, the numbers following the model name is typically the production series identifier assigned by the manufacturer. I'm sure there are many more specifics concerning this and I'm sure we will all be further educated by following posts... and that my friend, is the great part of these forums!
    + 100

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    "1911" is the designation given to a semi-automatic pistol designed by John Moses Browning in or around 1911. It is considered such an important design that the date has stuck as the name of the type of pistol.

Single action refers to a pistol where one fires the pistol by pulling the trigger, releasing a pre-cocked hammer. In a double action weapon, pulling the trigger actually cocks the hammer prior to releasing the hammer.

I probably don't explain it very well, but there will undoubtedly be several others that will be along with better explanations.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Wikipedia is indeed the way to go to learn general info like this.

And don't be embarrassed, Sister! Everybody here learned from somebody at some point.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

I might have a made a funky remark aimed at Sister...but she is my friend so I won't. Besides which my knowledge about guns ain't as hot as many here.

Hey Sis, been having more issues with my pc. I can almost walk faster than my computer can compute
    Sister likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links