Does practicing with an airsoft gun help or hurt your shooting?

This is a discussion on Does practicing with an airsoft gun help or hurt your shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the range about two weeks ago and shot on par with how I usually shoot about 3 inch groups from 7 yards away. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh

Thread: Does practicing with an airsoft gun help or hurt your shooting?

Does practicing with an airsoft gun help or hurt your shooting?

Went to the range about two weeks ago and shot on par with how I usually shoot about 3 inch groups from 7 yards away. Since then I've been practicing a lot at home with an airsoft gun and got so good with the airsoft that I was hitting bulls eye on my target consistently from about 15 feet away. Today is my day off today so I decided to go to the range again and based on how I was shooting with my airsoft gun I thought I was going to do my best shooting ever. Boy was I wrong! I was all over the place with both my 9mm and 45 and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. After about 50 rounds I realized my grip was much too soft. I am 5-7 150, however I used to cage fight and fought at 135 pounds without cutting weight (mention it because in shape I am a tiny 135 pounds). I started holding my grip a lot tighter and wala back to shooting groups as I am used to. What I realized is that when practicing with an airsoft I have to practice with a very firm grip if not it will hurt my shooting. Reason I bring up my height and weight is because I wonder if me being small makes me need to hold the gun much tighter than say someone like Hickok45. Since he is so much bigger, half of his grip is probably as strong as my hardest grip. I know holding the airsoft tighter would help but since it does not kick I always forget after a few shots. As they say perfect practice makes perfect. I was not practicing perfectly and it hurt my shooting. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Do you think practicing with an airsoft gun is beneficial or will it hurt your shooting? Do you think it affects smaller people more?

2. Remove Ads

I have done it. It seemed to help me. To me it is similar to practicing with a .22, which has helped my accuracy.

I flinch a little more after shooting the .22 exclusively, which is why I now shoot a couple of hundred rounds with the .22, then shoot 50 or so from my carry gun before I call it a day.

You can't do that at your house, obviously, but you can work on grip discipline while shooting your airsoft gun.

Just my .02, YMMV.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I have done it. It seemed to help me. To me it is similar to practicing with a .22, which has helped my accuracy.

I flinch a little more after shooting the .22 exclusively, which is why I now shoot a couple of hundred rounds with the .22, then shoot 50 or so from my carry gun before I call it a day.

You can't do that at your house, obviously, but you can work on grip discipline while shooting your airsoft gun.

Just my .02, YMMV.
    I can.. until I move back to Pittsburgh.
    Badey likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I can.. until I move back to Pittsburgh.
    Lucky!! I'm jealous!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I don't have an air-soft gun but I have noticed that the more I practice with my .22, the better I tend to shoot my larger caliber weapons.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Lucky!! I'm jealous!
    Yup, I'm sure gonna miss the sticks when I head back to the city.. no more walking out the front door and being able to shoot.

If the manual of arms is markedly different than your carry gun, it could. But practice could mitigate most if not all of that concern.

If you're practicing almost exlusively with other "calibers" than your carry gun, it could, from the standpoint of accuracy and/or effectiveness in an actual situation (ie, hearing the "boom" of an actual round versus the normal "pop" of your practice rounds).

But, all things considered, if you go into it with eyes wide open, practice enough to that your accuracy, competency, draw and scenario handling is top-notch, and so long as you're competent with your carry weapon, I can't imagine effective practice getting in the way of that any more than, say, practicing with a few different guns, or with .22LR much of the time to save cash. Dry-fire, holster drills, clearing/jam drills, reloading drills, scenario drills, as well as live-fire practice. Should be fine. Just don't get to the point where you find yourself surprised by your carry caliber's firing, or let it affect your accuracy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm not a small dude and I grip the crap out of any pistol I shoot. I figure in a fight for life I'm going to be pretty wired so a death grip is the likely result. If I'm going to shoot that way when I'm under stress I may as well shoot that way when I practice.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Links