1911 22lr Replica vs My 1911 With Conversion 22lr ?

This is a discussion on 1911 22lr Replica vs My 1911 With Conversion 22lr ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need some advice on wether to purchase a Walther made 22 clone or a 22 conversion for my S&W 1911sc commander size. I believe ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TxTchRR

Thread: 1911 22lr Replica vs My 1911 With Conversion 22lr ?

1911 22lr Replica vs My 1911 With Conversion 22lr ?

I need some advice on wether to purchase a Walther made 22 clone or a 22 conversion for my S&W 1911sc commander size. I believe both are roughly ithe same price.

My intent is to practice draw and fire from various positions. I have a Crimson Trace laser grip that I need to utilize in the practice. I'm not concerned with accuracy as I have a 22 target pistol for that.

All thoughts welcomed, thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have a conversion slide for my Glock 30 and other than lighter weight and less recoil, the gun functions the same, same trigger pull, controls, etc. Reliability is good until the .22 crud builds up around 80-100 rounds. Then I'll get a few FTEs. I'm hoping Froglube will solve that. Otherwise, a quick wipe and drop of oil takes care of it.

If you carry a 1911 and want more practice with it, I'd opt for the conversion.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'd go with the conversion kit. While the Walther may be built on the 1911 frame, there will probably be slight differences. Especially if it is a full versus a commander size.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm assuming you're talking about the new Colt 22s made my Walther. I'd get one. They're functionally identical with one glaring difference in that the barrel is fixed. The ones I've been around have been 100% even with crap bulk ammo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    JDE101 likes this.

I believe I will get the Colt replica if available in a commander size. Thanks all.

I carry a full size Kimber and bought the Colt .22 to teach my granddaughters how to shoot. The feel, grips, etc. are very similar to my Kimber Custom TLE II. I debated about getting the conversion kit, but for the price, why not just get another gun? And I shoot it myself. Much cheaper to shoot .22 (when I can find it) than .45! The Colt is plenty accurate for combat shooting practice and plinking. Great gun and I'm glad I bought it.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

If for collecting/owning go with the Walther 1911 .22, but to practice with your SD gun go with the conversion.

Links