Value scope for Mosin?

This is a discussion on Value scope for Mosin? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an old 91/30 Mosin and just bought the Brass Stacker scope mount. Ive never owned a scoped rifle, and dont know much about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value scope for Mosin?

Value scope for Mosin?

I have an old 91/30 Mosin and just bought the Brass Stacker scope mount. Ive never owned a scoped rifle, and dont know much about scopes. Im looking for a high value scope that is $80 or less. It will be used for 100-200 yards tops... Just plinking around the range with some surplus ammo.

What sort of scope would you recommend for that price range? I would have loved to do an original scope mount and scope, but considering it costs 3x as much as the rifle, just isnt in the cards.

Also, I wont have to get a bent bolt handle for this mount, will I?

2. Remove Ads

Nobody?

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    BSA, Buschnell, Tasco...they're all about the same. I'd stay away from Baraska and other cheap Chinese scopes. Scopes for under a C note are generally pretty crappy (BB gun scopes) and most have noticeable parallax. In terms of low price but high quality I'd say Millet. They make really good high end scopes, and over the years that's filtered down to their base line scopes. Their DMS scope is under $200, and it really a great scope in normal daylight. You can put it on something else and still be very happy after you tire of the Mosin.

In your defense, twenty years ago I paid under $200 for new MAC-90s. They were considered total crap, and were a dime a dozen. That model is now selling for $800+. That is doubling in value every ten years, which is nothing to sneeze at. I wish I would have bought a couple of dozen and locked them away...

Honestly, most (maybe all) of my scopes cost more than the rifles on which they're mounted.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Primary Arms has a new 6X out, getting some good comments over at AR15.com
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The Brass stacker scope mount is the "scout" style scope mount. It is the ATI mount where you have to drill/tap into the receiver, which requires the bent bolt handle. Plus if you do the scout style mount like the one I'm waiting for in the mail, you need to make sure it is a long eye relief scope, a traditional scope will not work for this, as for what kind you should get? I have no idea, as I am not a scope guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I have an old 91/30 Mosin and just bought the Brass Stacker scope mount. Ive never owned a scoped rifle, and dont know much about scopes. Im looking for a high value scope that is $80 or less. It will be used for 100-200 yards tops... Just plinking around the range with some surplus ammo.

What sort of scope would you recommend for that price range? I would have loved to do an original scope mount and scope, but considering it costs 3x as much as the rifle, just isnt in the cards.

Also, I wont have to get a bent bolt handle for this mount, will I?
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

See if you can find a used Nikon Prostaff for about that... They are very clear, and will stand up to the 7.62x54R recoil.

Something like this looks about right. I know its a very cheap scope, but it has long eye relief, so I wouldnt need to modify the bolt handle, and for something that will barely ever get shot (dont let me shoot the surplus stuff at my regular range), it should do the trick to help me learn the fundamentals of scoped rifle shooting. If I get into it more, and want to start getting serious about grouping, Id definitely buy a modern bolt gun and quality scope.

Amazon.com: Aim Sports 2-7X32 Dual III. Long Eye Relief Scope with Rings: Sports & Outdoors

Anything special I should look for in scope rings? Just something close to the bore? Anyone have any suggestions on those that would work for this scope and mount?

I have a scope mount coming in the mail from amazon, now the best thing to do so I've seen is to completely remove the rear sight, underneath there is a 3/8 inch dovetail that one can mount scope rings on, thus getting a solid mount instead of relying on the pressure from the leaf to hold it in place which is what many no drill no tap mounts do. I am waiting for my scope to get here before I do it, but unfortunately my sight is soldered in place, so I need to get a propane torch to remove it. If you are lucky yours has drift pins holding it in place that you can punch out and remove easily.
    Something like this looks about right. I know its a very cheap scope, but it has long eye relief, so I wouldnt need to modify the bolt handle, and for something that will barely ever get shot (dont let me shoot the surplus stuff at my regular range), it should do the trick to help me learn the fundamentals of scoped rifle shooting. If I get into it more, and want to start getting serious about grouping, Id definitely buy a modern bolt gun and quality scope.

Amazon.com: Aim Sports 2-7X32 Dual III. Long Eye Relief Scope with Rings: Sports & Outdoors

Anything special I should look for in scope rings? Just something close to the bore? Anyone have any suggestions on those that would work for this scope and mount?
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

What scope did you buy?

I just need someone to give me a link for a halfway decent scope/rings that would let me learn the fundamentals of scoped shooting while not spending a ton. Id spend $125 shipped on the scope and scope rings to mount to the Brass Stacker mount.

I went cheap on a BSA scope years ago and even though it was barely used, when it really counted and there was a deer within 30 yds, I shouldered my rifle and the reticle looked like an "X" instead of a "+". Stay away from scopes that cost less than $100 new. That said, if you go on ebay, there's some used scopes in your price range from Burris, Nikon, and Pentax - I'd go that route.

Amazon.com: Ultimate Arms Gear Mosin Nagant 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scope + New Generation Weaver Rail Mount + Scope Rings+ Lens Covers+Lens Cleaning Kit: Sports & Outdoors
    Amazon.com: NcStar 1" High Ring with Weaver (RB13): Sports & Outdoors
    What scope did you buy?

I just need someone to give me a link for a halfway decent scope/rings that would let me learn the fundamentals of scoped shooting while not spending a ton. Id spend $125 shipped on the scope and scope rings to mount to the Brass Stacker mount.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

That scope/rings will mount to my brass stacker mount and give me the necessary eye relief? If so, Ill buy it tonight.

I wouldn't buy the rings, just buy the scope kit, as they come with weave rail mounts. I removed my iron sight so I could use the 3/8" dove tail beneath for a sturdy solid mount. The problems that I have read is that no drill/tap weaver mounts won't hold their zero due to the high recoil of the mosin. Although the Brasstacker from what I've also read is one of the best weaver mounts out there so my vote is if you have it use it, the aim sports scope kit comes with weaver mounts. If you find you don't like that you can always remove it later and buy 3/8" 1" scope rings and mount it to the dove tail..
    -Linny
    Last edited by Linny; August 20th, 2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

Im not really familiar with the difference between weaver vs picatinny mounts. Im assuming that the Brass Stacker mounts to the gun, the rings mount to the Brass Stacker, and the scope mounts into the rings?

If thats correct, Id only need the scope and rings?

Sorry, a weaver rail is a picatinny rail system. I usually call it that, but it seems that everyone else calls it that. They're the same, and have the notches, it's the modern day mounting system for bipods, optics, lazers etc. Dovetails are straight rails that traditionally mount scope rings, and are on most traditional hunting rifles. The scope rings that come with the kit are made for a weaver/picatinny type set up and should fit on mil spec weaver rails, which I believer the Brass Stacker one is. Upside to doing this is that for 26$ UTG makes a tri rail mount found on amazon Amazon.com: UTG Mosin Nagant Tri-Rail Mount: Sports & Outdoors that allows for other side mods such as lazers, lights etc, plus it also allows for more modern optics because a lot of non hunting optics are made for picatinny rail systems now since everyone likes to slap them on AR's, AK's, SKS's etc. So in short yes, just the scope kit that comes with rings will work with the Brass Stacker set up. I will probably be buying a Type 53 (Chinese M44 copy 99$) that I'll mod with a synthetic stock and will add the UTG mount to make an end of the world rifle. I'm turning my 91/30 into a pig hunting gun, so I'm keeping the wood stock and using the more traditional scope rings. Hope this helps. When I'm finished I'm going to do a write up about my 91/30 in the how to section which will show the dove tail and how I removed the iron sights.
    -Linny
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links