Wolf ammo for 1911

This is a discussion on Wolf ammo for 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for some .45 ACP ammo for my 1911's. I've never used any but have been seeing some really good prices on WPA POLYFORMANCE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Wolf ammo for 1911

Wolf ammo for 1911

I'm looking for some .45 ACP ammo for my 1911's. I've never used any but have been seeing some really good prices on WPA POLYFORMANCE ammmo from Wolf. Just wondering if any one has any experience with this for range use?

I'd appreciate any comments.

2. Remove Ads

It works fine for what you are intending on using it for...
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

In my Glock 19s, and M&P 9, I have used a bunch of it. Zero issues with it. Works great.

Btw, I dont just mean a box or two, at the range, I mean going thru a bunch of it in training.

For training Id much rather shoot steel cased. Its cheaper, but also I dont mind not having to pick up the shell casings.

Just my personal opinion but...

Wolf and Tulammo is the dirtiest you can shoot. It has worked well for me a long time ago but, I didn't like spending four (4) times the effort cleaning my gun. You get what you pay for.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I've gone through probably 10 boxes of their 9mm and really didn't notice anything different from the other range ammo I've used.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Wolf and Tulammo is the dirtiest you can shoot. It has worked well for me a long time ago but, I didn't like spending four (4) times the effort cleaning my gun. You get what you pay for.
    I'll second that. On my 4th magazine of steel cased Tulammo (same maker as Wolf) the extractor broke off in my Colt combat Commander. It may have been metal fatigue in a 30+ year old weapon, but I am staying away from steel casings.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of Wolf or Tlammo, I think its Russia made and some steel cased? also a very dirty ammo. like Dennis1209 stated. I would run good quality ammo if I were you.

Good to know!

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    I'm fairly new around here..(what, a little over a year :-)........... this topic again? OK - without sounding like some snob. Do Not Do This Ammo (DNDTA)!

Not in your............. whatever............................

It will mess your chamber up. You 'all can 'dog pile' me if you do not concur.................... Just saying.

Was once given 500 rounds of Wolf .45 ACP ammo and told to have a ball shooting it with my youngest son. We spent a long afternoon at the range burning it up. The filth of the Wolf Ammo choked up the Colt Gold Cup a little before 200 rounds was expended. The Colt 1911 from 1918 ate all the rest of it, filth and all.

The Wolf ammo caused the front sight to go AWOL on the old Colt. The front sight disappeared on the 1911 at dusk, just as the last of the ammo was fired off.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Lead Moderator
    I use it occasionally and have had no issues. How does it mess up a chamber? It does seem to be dirtier than typical ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Didn't actually count, but looks like about 50/50 pro/con. Given that percentage I think I'll stay away from it. I always clean my guns after each range trip and enjoy doing it but spending four times the time I now spend is a bit much. Thanks for all of the opinions.

Nothing wrong with burning up some Wolf in the back yard or range.

Wolf is fine. Aside from the inconvenience of the extra cleaning, you may consider that the bi-metal jacket on the bullets is going to be a little harder on your rifling. With enough of a price disparity though there's a good chance you'd still find it to be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I'm looking for some .45 ACP ammo for my 1911's. I've never used any but have been seeing some really good prices on WPA POLYFORMANCE ammmo from Wolf. Just wondering if any one has any experience with this for range use?

I'd appreciate any comments.
    A friend of mine told me that it's real tuff to clean your gun after using this ammo. So I didn't buy any for myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links