Im done with plainfield shooting supply in Plainfield, Indiana

This is a discussion on Im done with plainfield shooting supply in Plainfield, Indiana within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I went to Plainfield Shooting Supply in Plainfield. Indiana, as they always have a good selection of guns and such.They had several Springfield Mil ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By IndianaSig
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike

Thread: Im done with plainfield shooting supply in Plainfield, Indiana

Im done with plainfield shooting supply in Plainfield, Indiana

So I went to Plainfield Shooting Supply in Plainfield. Indiana, as they always have a good selection of guns and such.They had several Springfield Mil Spec 1911's in the counter so i asked the salesman about them. I told them i was gathering information etc, and had a bunch of questions. One would expect, as a saleman at a gun store, that they would expect this as part of their job. Well I asked a few questions, and the salesman went, put a gun back in the shelf, and just walked away from me to help another customer, as I was in the middle of asking him a question! Are you kidding me? what has happened to customer service these days? I had to have another salesman answer my question, where i promptly left when he finished.

Some of you may say its not fair to judge based on one experience.... well, this is not the first, second or third time I have expereineced poor customer service while in their shop..... I am fed up with recieving poor customer service simply because if I dont buy it someone else will. So, if you are in plainfield Indiana, do yourself a favor a steer clear of Plainfield shooting supply.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

I gave up on the gang at PSS many years ago. You're preaching to the choir.

Indianapolis has the worst gun shops of any large city in America. With that said, there are a couple with at least tolerable customer service. My favorite is Indy Trading Post. Most of the guys there, Matt in particular, are very helpful. They do have one guy, the big, sloppy one, who should not be there. Inventory is always cheap guns (as you would expect, given the demographics of their location) but they will work with you to order most anything. My candidates for the worst in town are PSS, Beech Grove, and Bradis (well....Don's and Pop Guns are a given as the worst but no one ever goes to them.) Although some say otherwise, I've also always had good luck dealing with Scott at Wanamaker Guns. Elmore's can also be tolerable if you avoid the kid and deal with Ross directly. However, if you do go to Elmore's, expect to be treated like a man (they can be very blunt.)

I actually havent had any issues at Brtadis... I bought my SR40C from them. Several others have suggested wanamakers and elmores but I have not been to either. Its a shame PSS has such poor customer service, they have on of the best gun selection around IMO. It really was the last straw though, I am tired of their crap CS. I could hit the lotto tomorrow and I still wouldnt buy my 1911 from them when I am ready knowing they have what I want.

Also, you should check out the guys at C&C midwest firearms in clermont. Its a small shop that just opened up a while back but they have always been friendly when I have been in there.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Well I asked a few questions, and the salesman went, put a gun back in the shelf, and just walked away from me to help another customer, as I was in the middle of asking him a question! Are you kidding me? what has happened to customer service these days? I had to have another salesman answer my question, where i promptly left when he finished.
    It's not the shop, if you were able to easily get your service from another staffer.

It's the staffer in question. Most shops have, from time to time, staffers with their fingers still inserted. Plus, some folks have a bad day, now and then.

I wouldn't hold it against the entire shop, because of one incident by one staffer on one occasion, particularly not if you got your service dealt with easily by others during the same visit. Might be worth reconsidering. Or not.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It's not the shop, if you were able to easily get your service from another staffer.

It's the staffer in question. Most shops have, from time to time, staffers with their fingers still inserted. Plus, some folks have a bad day, now and then.

I wouldn't hold it against the entire shop, because of one incident by one staffer on one occasion, particularly not if you got your service dealt with easily by others during the same visit. Might be worth reconsidering. Or not.
    Normaly I would agree, but it is the general attitude of the shop. I never i said i got an answer easily, i just said i got one. I have dealt with every person in that store, and they are all the same. I have several friends who do not like going there for the same reason. Also, if you read my post carefuly, you would have noticied i specifically stated it was not an isolated incident in any way and that I have had problems there before.

As far as holding it against the shop, they are only as good as their worst employee, so i can and will hold it against them.
    ~Daniel Webster

Not much experience with the GS in Indy but did have the misfortune of stopping at Don's. It took about 2 minutes to scan the inventory, employees and the customers and I left very quickly.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Quote Originally Posted by FLMOPE View Post
    Not much experience with the GS in Indy but did have the misfortune of stopping at Don's. It took about 2 minutes to scan the inventory, employees and the customers and I left very quickly.
    I live about 10 mins from dons on the outside of 465...... needless to say I went there once and did precisely the same thing. A numbe rof months ago a customer rented a gun, shot on the range, walked up to the clerk and shot him point blank. The clerk returned fire, killing the suspect but was seriously injured. Given the neighborhood, im not surprised. Also, when i saw a bersa for 500 plus tax, I laughed all the way out the door.
    ~Daniel Webster

Geeze Louise I'm sure glad I live in Stick City.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

There ain't nothin in Indiana I would want anyway.
    Taurahe and TN_Mike like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Interesting side note about Don's Guns. Don Davis operates the largest independently owned gun dealership in America (both in units sold and $$.) He has been #1 every year since 1994. How? Amazingly effective advertising, word of mouth amongst uneducated gun buyers, and a relationship with the Black community of Indianapolis that, while apparently legal, has certainly raised eyebrows over the years. Don is a crude, arrogant, genius. I hear through the grapevine that he'll be retiring entirely from the store operations later this year (he's been mostly gone since 2010.)
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Interesting side note about Don's Guns. Don Davis operates the largest independently owned gun dealership in America (both in units sold and $$.) He has been #1 every year since 1994. How? Amazingly effective advertising, word of mouth amongst uneducated gun buyers, and a relationship with the Black community of Indianapolis that, while apparently legal, has certainly raised eyebrows over the years. Don is a crude, arrogant, genius. I hear through the grapevine that he'll be retiring entirely from the store operations later this year (he's been mostly gone since 2010.)
    I have never met the guy, but I have followed their supposed dealing in the Indianapolis community. I personally think there is some shady stuff going on but thats just me. The neighborhood in which the store is located is a pretty rough part of town, and a high end Sig would not be to the liking of the areas clientel, unless it was chromed out.
    ~Daniel Webster

I am a faithful patron of Bradis. I have been treated like poop several times by the "big" guy at ITP. Matt is nice, but the fat guy has driven me away and ill never go back.
    I have yet to visit BGF since they moved.

Bradis has never treated me badly or turned me away from asking a ton of questions. I've also never felt hurried when trying to "justify" a purchase, even with lines of people waiting. Living 10 min away helps too, but I go back for the excellent service.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    There ain't nothin in Indiana I would want anyway.
    God do I agree with this.

Let me expound: I was, to my great regret, born in Indiana. Raised in the south for the most part from an early age but born in Indiana and my whole family lives there. (parents moved back up there after I graduated HS and went into the Navy)

We moved up there and I worked at WXIN FOX59 from May 2010 to March 2012. Yeah, we didn't make it two years. Couldn't take it. And I COMPLETELY agree with the OP about Plainfield Shooting Supply. Not only is the staff rude but I couldn't stay in there for longer than a few minutes the cigarette smoke was so think.

I had fair experiences with Bradis. They were too terrible but any gun shop in the South I have ever been to puts them to shame. Pop Guns was iffy at best. Went to Dons Guns one time and one time only. I was inside less than 5 minutes. I literally laughed at the staff member who asked me if he could help me and left.

Now, I know this will be a little bit of a drive for yall in Indy but I am going to tell yall about a gem out in the corn fields. We lived in Monrovia when we were there. And there is a small "town" named Hall out there back off of US 42. The name of the gun shop I am going to tell you about is Guns and Ordinance in Hall Indiana. Welcome to Guns and Ordnance Their website isn't much to look at but the shop is pretty good. They had just darn near anything I ever wanted to look at and feel in my hands from hand guns up to a .50 cal rifle. Give them a shot some time when you have some time to take a drive.

The owner told me he is located out on the West side of nowhere because he builds a version of the USA 12 (Class 3 Weapons: USAS-12 Shotgun) for a military contract and had wanted to build in Indianapolis but the city wouldn't let him do so and used zoning tricks to keep him from building on several locations. But he owned the property out in Hall and there was no zoning law to keep him from building out there.

Give them a shot. And you can take my advice or not but, I'd say get out of Indiana. It is a weird state.
    voodoo304 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links