XDS 9 for IDPA?

This is a discussion on XDS 9 for IDPA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody shooting a XDS 9mm for IDPA? I really like the gun and want to shoot it in IDPA, but some people are calling me ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By 40Bob
  • 1 Post By warbirds
  • 1 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By Dandyone
  • 1 Post By Zralou

Thread: XDS 9 for IDPA?

XDS 9 for IDPA?

Anybody shooting a XDS 9mm for IDPA? I really like the gun and want to shoot it in IDPA, but some people are calling me nuts. I thought the whole spirit of IDPA was to shoot what you carry, but it seems most people in the clubs I have been to are shooting full size pistols. I find it hard to believe they are carrying some of these. Does anyone else out there shoot a gun this size?

2. Remove Ads

Shoot what ya carry..... That's what I do. I will never win but I have fun and run my carry gear.

I shoot Glock 27, snubbies, you name it.
    warbirds and Dandyone like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I'm not that familiar with this particular forum, but many times IDPA posts in gun forums draw quite a bit of variation from support to don't "waste your time".

I fall in the support IDPA category. I do mix it up. Sometimes I will shoot a compact or subcompact, sometimes a full size, and on rare occassion I will run it with a revolver. If my clothing gives me the luxury of carrying a full size gun, that is my preference. Being in Texas it gets hot. I also ride motorcycles so it can be tough to be comfortable on a sportbike with a full size gun.

I don't worry about my times (usually)- I try to get through matches as cleanly as possible. In my opinion, the XD in any shape and configuration is a great IDPA gun. Someone will be along shortly to say its a piece of crap and they only carry full size Les Baer 1911's, but thats not me.

IDPA shooters are great people and you really do get to "run your own race" and shoot the match how you think its important.

Just as a data point, a bone stock XD will shoot in the enhanced service pistol class- I don't recall why. So if you are shooting an XD, expect to be in the same class as guys with the high end 1911's and Sig X5's, etc.

2 weeks ago it was blazing hot outside. They decided it was to hot and to shoot with no concealment garment for the match- I had a full size gun with me but I chose to shoot the match as I carry, concealed.

I was seriously 1 of only 2 in a field of a out 40 who did so.

Oh- I just picked this up, holsters are in the mail and you can bet I will shoot some matches with it.
    40Bob likes this.

If you just want to use IDPA to practice with your carry gun, then go ahead. However my many years experience as a safety and range officer at matches, most guys are competitive and end up buying a gun more suitable for competition. It is no fun to end up near the bottom match after match and dealing with a low capacity gun. If you want to use IDPA to compete, then get a Glock or M&P full sized and you will have a winning shot. You can also mix it up and I know that at our matches you can enter with two guns as long as you pay the entry fee for each. That way you could shoot your carry gun and your competition gun.

What I usually see is that those with small carry guns, stop coming after a few times while those with competition guns go on for years.
    warbirds likes this.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Shoot what you want, how you want. It's not about the gun.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    warbirds likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Where in MN are you? I shoot at the East Grand Forks Rod and gun club. You would be welcome with anything here!

************************ East Grand Forks Rod and Gun Club - East Grand Forks, MN - USA
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Most of the 'carry' guns shot in IDPA are run in a 'Bug' match, which is a back-up gun match.
    Although IDPA is assumed to be 'carry' based, it's actually 'defense pistol' based, which encompasses all guns, whether carried or home defense. A lot of times a 'stage' will start with the gun on a table or inside a drawer, to simulate being attacked in your home.

If you wish to shoot IDPA, you can shoot whatever you desire (9mm/.38 or larger caliber), but you will find, once bitten by the bug, you'll be looking around for a full size gun. Shooting IPDA is fun and exciting, but winning now and again is even more fun.

Sara Lou
    40Bob likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

If you want to be completive you will need a different gun. If you can live with times that won,t reflect your ability level then go for it. But do not expect to be able to compete with it.
    It is a good way to meet like minded people and pick up shooting skills.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Links