Remington 1911 R1

Remington 1911 R1

This is a discussion on Remington 1911 R1 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ever since I got a certain rag that had one on the cover and an article about it, I've found myself wanting one. Some of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Remington 1911 R1

Remington 1911 R1

Ever since I got a certain rag that had one on the cover and an article about it, I've found myself wanting one. Some of you know that my first (and only) 1911 is an RIA. I went on the lower end of things to familiarize myself with the platform and also because it wouldn't be a big hit on the wallet if I decided the platform wasn't for me. Well, to put it bluntly; I'm in love and caught the bug.

I still really do like the RIA and it's been on it's best behavior ever since I scooped it up but I'm ready to upgrade. From what I've seen and read, the Remington seems it has a few different configurations. Standard, Enhanced, and Carry. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to actually get any version of it in my palms or see one in person. I've been looking around locally with no luck.

To those 1911 guys and gals out there in the know; is this a good choice? Has anybody had any personal experience with one? For the same price range (per Cabelas: $699.99 - $1,269.99), is there something else you'd recommend instead? The gun will get carried but as of yet, I have no clue how much and it'll definitely see lots of range time and could possibly see some HD duty as well. Hope this helps and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by blitzburgh; August 16th, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Truthfully? Not many 1911s worth having these days for the price. I was smitten with the 1911 fever for many years....after I got out of the service. Other than a good mil-spec 1911.....I seldom give it thought these days. Got to realize that the market is so totally screwed up now. Last time I had a want for another 1911....I fell for a SIG P22SAO and never looked back.
    Don't get me wrong......I still like the look and feel of a solid 1911 pistol.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    In that price range you have many options. In no particular order

STI
    Springfield
    Colt
    Dan Wesson (Heritage)
    Ruger
    OD*, bmcgilvray, Taurahe and 1 others like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

OD*
    Iíll second Deadguy, there are better in your price range. I had to replace a stock screw bushing in an R1 for a friends son, his was not standard size, but I donít know if they are all that way or not. If I were going to buy a 1911 with a cast receiver, it would be a Ruger, unless you spend more for the Model 1911 R1ô Carry, it is (or was) the only one they list with a forged receiver.
    bmcgilvray and deadguy like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

About four months ago, I bought a standard Remington 1911, R1 and have found it to be an excellent gun for the price. So far no FTE, FTF's and its proven to be quite accurate. The improved sights and trigger are a great addition as are the match barrel and bushing and the finish is very good quality. For about $650, I'm extremely happy with the purchase.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I have not used a Remington 1911 yet, though they look pretty solid and there seem to be a lit of happy owners. In the same price range is Springfield, which has been at it much longer and definitely turns out good stuff for the money.

I owned an R1 for a while but got to lusting for a Kimber 4" Pro Carry II (used for $950) which is now one of my EDC guns. The R1 was a fine weapon and I had no issues with it. I really like the lighter Kimber though.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    In that price range you have many options. In no particular order

STI
    Springfield
    Colt
    Dan Wesson (Heritage)
    Ruger
    This ^^^^^^
    I have been 1911 shopping in the same range and have been looking hard. I played with an R1 yesterday, as well as a Springfield Mil spec. The mil spec was a super nice gun, as was the R1.... The ruger sr1911 is a great gun as well and has been on my want to touch list. The Girsan 1911 has been mentioned in several circles but I have never actually seen one as of yet.

I did play with an STI and it wasnt bad but wasnt my cup of tea either. After directly comparing the R1 and the Springfield Mil Spec, i would go with the Mil Spec. The fancier grips and whatnot did not justify the increase in cost of the R1 over the mil spec. Let us know how you make out.
    ĒGod grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.Ē
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

mkh
    Sig is also in that price range

I had one and it was a good, accurate pistol, but I didn't trust it to run on JHPs. Mine had a few bad machining marks on the dustcover and a few other odds and ends that made it less than ideal, cosmetically and functionally. The configuration for the standard R1 model is my favorite though (GI grip safety, short trigger, flat mainspring housing, A1 style finger cutouts, series 80, internal extractor) but that particular gun just wasn't up to snuff to carry. I would look at a Springfield GI before I bought another standard R1 for the price.
    deadguy likes this.

If you like the R1 you should check out the Enhanced version.
    OD* likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

400$ Cimarron 1911, they are inexpensive, but very good quality, and VERY accurate.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

My Remington choked on HP's....the only one of fourteen 1911's I've owned that didn't like hollows.

Colt, Ruger, STI, Springfield, RIA, Citadel....I'd go any other brand of 1911. Mine was the standard not enhanced version. Maybe that makes a difference.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I appreciate the responses.. looks like I should move on from it. On another note, I do like the Ruger offering and can't recall hearing anything negative about it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    About four months ago, I bought a standard Remington 1911, R1 and have found it to be an excellent gun for the price. So far no FTE, FTF's and its proven to be quite accurate. The improved sights and trigger are a great addition as are the match barrel and bushing and the finish is very good quality. For about $650, I'm extremely happy with the purchase.
    I happened up on a good deal on an R1 and bought it. Actually, it is a good shooter, and better than I expected. There are better 1911s out there, but I'm happy with the value I got with mine.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links