Shot with a 30-30 at 20 yards (pics)

This is a discussion on Shot with a 30-30 at 20 yards (pics) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You get to see quite a bit of cool stuff doing this job. I have seen plenty of gunshot wounds, bullets removed and other stuff, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Shot with a 30-30 at 20 yards (pics)

Shot with a 30-30 at 20 yards (pics)

You get to see quite a bit of cool stuff doing this job. I have seen plenty of gunshot wounds, bullets removed and other stuff, but I have never seen anything like this.
    Without disclosing any info, this guy was shot with a Marlin 336 30-30 Winchester 150 grain bullet by his girl friend ( dont piss off these Kentucky gals).

The first pic shows the entrance wound on the back of his arm where he turned and tried to protect himself by extending his arm backwards, with his elbow pointing rearward towards her, and his forearm bent downward.

The second pick shows the staples after the 2nd surgery to install cadaver bone. The upper arm bone was blown away.

This pic shows the exit wound. Came out on the front of the chest, and just an inch from his heart. So much for hydrostatic shot theories.

I ask him about the pain he felt, and he said that the best way he could describe it was his entire body was "humming", like a sound, but he could feel it instead of hear it.

The shot did not knock him down to the ground.

So take from this what you will. The rifle did a great job of damaging his tissue and penetrating. The powerful 30-30 shattered and penetrated, but still did not put him down because it did not hit the shut off switch.

But I think this goes to show how important penetration vs expansion is.
    Brady, msgt/ret, nechaev and 13 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Kinda like real estate; location, location, location.
    Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.
    msgt/ret, airslot, OD* and 6 others like this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Very lucky nothing vital was hit.
    OD*, srings and Aceoky like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    OUCH..

The x rays show a lot of shrapnel from the bullet still spread though out the wound channel.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Eh hummm. Does he not know to hide all the guns and ammo before ticking off a female in KY???? Must be an immigrant from Cali or some such place
    357and40, NONAME762 and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    This pic shows the exit wound. Came out on the front of the chest, and just an inch from his heart. So much for hydrostatic shot theories.

But I think this goes to show how important penetration vs expansion is.
    Hard to tell what one single example shows, as to debunking this or that theory or stating what's most important in other cases. In this case, it appears that penetration/expansion were the major aspects, and in this case the bullet path didn't strike anything vital. Had the angle of entry been even slightly different, it might well have zipped right through the tricep/bicep without doing much damage at all, might well have "stunk" like nothing else. Then again, a direct shot into the gut or chest cavity might well have shown evidence of hydrostatic shock effects, if the speed was right and the material being impacted was right. Hard to know, in any given case, as every situation is different.

Good review of a situation, though. Nice pics. Ouch!!

A unique "Dear John," Kentucky style ... a .30-30 up the wazoo.
    mkh likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hard to tell what one single example shows, as to debunking this or that theory or stating what's most important in other cases. In this case, it appears that penetration/expansion were the major aspects, and in this case the bullet path didn't strike anything vital. Had the angle of entry been even slightly different, it might well have zipped right through the tricep/bicep without doing much damage at all, might well have "stunk" like nothing else. Then again, a direct shot into the gut or chest cavity might well have shown evidence of hydrostatic shock effects, if the speed was right and the material being impacted was right. Hard to know, in any given case, as every situation is different.

Good review of a situation, though. Nice pics. Ouch!!

A unique "Dear John," Kentucky style ... a .30-30 up the wazoo.
    True. A valid point. What I find particularly interesting about this, is that its another example of the arm bone getting in the bullets path, which is very common.

What I take away from this, with that in mind, is the importance of having enough power to bust thru the bone and continue on the same course.

Another interesting thing here is that this shot is very similar to the one blamed for not stopping Platt in the Miami shoot out , which is the one shot that could have ended things much sooner.
    However, that shot stopped inches from the heart, and this one blew right on by it.

Just food for thought.
    Aceoky and oldman45 like this.

Curiosity killed the cat of course but I wonder what he did that got him a 30-30 caliber good bye kiss from his lady love???
    OD*, msgt/ret, Taurahe and 1 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Curiosity killed the cat of course but I wonder what he did that got him a 30-30 caliber good bye kiss from his lady love???
    No telling. I had one shoot me because she "Loved" me so much. Somehow she got it in her head that I was doing her sister.
    Last edited by OkSlim; August 18th, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
    carracer likes this.

Wonder how recently that would have resulted in an amputation?

Quote Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
    No telling. I had one shoot me because she "Loved" me so much. Someone she got it in her head that I was doing her sister.
    Yeah doing her sister would have a tendency to bring on something like that.
    357and40 likes this.

I wouldn't expect much hydrostatic at velocities that low. Velo would've been around 2,300 fps tops, wouldn't it?

It does go to show that gunshots are a funny thing. 25 years ago while hunting with my dad we spooked a buck; we put three .30 cal bullets into the chest, 2 from a .308 and 1 from a 30.06. It ran about a 1/4 mile before we found it. There was virtually no trace of the heart and the lungs were blown up pretty good. It must have had a good dump of adrenaline to run so far with no useful organs left.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    He bought her a Glock.

(That should liven things up around here this morning)

Seriously though, thanks glockman10mm for posting this; very interesting pics and info.

I assume you are a doctor or EMT?

Thank you for sharing. This is a pretty interesting study in what can happen when a bullet enters a body.

I think that most here would agree that the effects of this shot are less than we hope to achieve if we are ever in the position of being forced to shoot a person...but I think most of us would agree that a shattered humerus would take a large amount of the fight out of an assailant even if he stayed standing.

By any chance, do you happen to know what type of bullet was involved? Based on shattering the humerus and continuing to keep on trucking through the chest and exit out the front, it would seem that it's one that favors penetration over expansion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links