UPDATED: Im on high alert!!!!!

This is a discussion on UPDATED: Im on high alert!!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So i got a knock on the door 15 min ago by two young ladies, perhaps 15-19, which immediately made me go what the heck ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: UPDATED: Im on high alert!!!!!

So i got a knock on the door 15 min ago by two young ladies, perhaps 15-19, which immediately made me go what the heck as I have no kids and dont know them. I answer the door and then am greeted with a sales pitch, where the young ladies proceeded to explain to me with a well rehearsed oitch they belonged to TOPPS, which is a professional student organization of some kind, I think. They wanted me to rate their public speaking and presentation skills, needless to say, it quickly turned into a sales gimmick to buy magazines etc...to which i promptly declined. Also, out of curiosity I asked if they could take a credit card, and they said only cash .....hmmmmmmmmm

Here is my problem with all this. The young ladies, besides trying to sell me crap, i walked by 10 min earlier sitting in my stairwell smoking cigarettes, and left a huge mess. The talker of the two had on a tank top and no bra and was rather disheviled to say the least. Neither fit the image of a professional anything. After i promptly invited them to leave my doorstep, i googled this supposed prganization and can find no reference to it anywhere ( RED HERRiNG!!!). I attempted to follow them to see if they had a vehicle but they quickly disappeared, so i dont know if they had a car waiting or they live in another building. The way they behaved was cause for concern. The talker continuously tried to keep my attention directed at her.... whenever i directed my attention elsewhere she would attempt to grab it back by what seemed to be randomly pointing at a piece of paper while she talked.

What concerned me more, is while feigning attention i briefly watched her "friend", who was looking past me into my apt. I immediately moved closer to them and blocked her FOV, and then stepped into the hallway and closed the door. Given the questionable status of todays society in general, and that I dont live in the best part of town, I in terpeted these actions as hostile and have been on high alert ever since. As I type this I am waiting for the police to come so I can make a report. The alarms in the back of my started ringing and I learned a long time ago to trust my instincts. All of this happened in less than three minutes, which may seem no big deal, but it is a lot to take in and process in such a short time span.

The odds of it being anything serious I would say 90% no big deal, 10% big deal, but i do not want to be in the 10%, ever! I am a big believer in be nice to everyone, but trust no one, and it may have saved my butt, or will in the near future. Stay alert, stay alive.

Any thoughts or comments? could I have done something better?

UPDATE: So the officer, who was very cool and professional, just left, and he gave me some interesting info to ponder.
    1: school is starting for the new year here, and every year they get complaints of solicitations by minors that turn out to be scams this time of year.
    2: It is possible, but in our area not probable, they were scoping me to come back later. He told me that most of this type of crime is gang related, which is not necessarily the biggest problem in our area, and that almost all of the gangs use violence of action to suprise and overwhelm, instead of subtlety. He was confident at worst it was a scam for quick cash, but told me to stay vigilant and not be lulled into a false sense of security.
    3: most likely, they were legit, elbeit with a very poor method
    4: he was suprised at my SA, the quite thorough description I gave him and my reasoning on the fly...... i thought it was called paranoia :)

He will make a report, and if I find myself in a situation this evening where I need to defend myself, whoever comes through that door is in a for a whole new level of violence in action.
    Last edited by Taurahe; August 17th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    I would get the Coffee pot going its going to be a long night .
    If it were me i would not worry about it , but they would not get the luxury of looking into my home my dog barks and goes crazy so i only crack the door a bit
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Try shutting the door in their faces.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I, too believe in being nice to people, which is why I tell them at the very beginning of their spiel that I am not interested and cannot help them. Otherwise, I soon grow dour, which does none of us any good.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

IMHO, I think you were dead on the money. It seems that you were shopped. A common tactic, by using young females to get your attention elsewhere. Looking past you to see what valuables that you have, or "hit a lick" as they say. Also to see if anyone else occupies the dwelling. Be mindful of the come back, meaning they are probing to see when you are most active as in going and coming etc. Always be proactive instead of reactive. take the extra time to secure the perimeter. Hope it was just a couple of high school students that were lousy at their school work.
    82nd Airborne- When you care enough to send the very BEST

If PRO is the opposite of CON, then that means CONGRESS is the opposite of PROGRESS.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quick way to have them move on? Get your cam and snap a picture of your front porch area (with them in view). They'll be scurrying in no time.

I'm a big advocate of the camera as a SD tool.

Stay safe!

In hindsight, a few things I would have done differently : Not stood in my doorway for any length of time. Next time, straight into the common walkway. As soon as i saw it was a sales gimmick, tell them to leave and turn around and shut the door.

I am not going to lose sleep over this, but to say I am already preparing for the next few days is a mild understatement. Even after, I keep getting a naggin feeling..... i think some apprpriately stashed "just in case" defensive weapons may be in order lol.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Quick way to have them move on? Get your cam and snap a picture of your front porch area (with them in view). They'll be scurrying in no time.

I'm a big advocate of the camera as a SD tool.

Stay safe!
    I have a motion activated game cam that I may hang above the door that does IR night photos....... I live on the second floor so its pretty much one way into my apt unless they get a 20 ft ladder....
    ~Daniel Webster

#1 - The game camera - Good idea, but not on IR. You WANT them to know they are being filmed.

#2 - Would you like to borrow my burglar alarm for a few days. He doesn't eat much

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    So i got a knock on the door......I answer the door
    Here is your mistake. Unless I know someone is coming over, or I'm expecting a delivery, I ignore any knock or bell at the door. They'll soon go away. If they have any legitimate reason for being there, my phone should ring any second.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    #1 - The game camera - Good idea, but not on IR. You WANT them to know they are being filmed.

#2 - Would you like to borrow my burglar alarm for a few days. He doesn't eat much

Oh my word you could disk the back forty with that dog in harness.
    nontechguy likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

First blush. I think you were being scammed for some cash to buy pills or meth or lord knows what to snort eat or shoot up.

In one small town I live fairly close too this is a big problem of young folks coming up with any sort of scam they can think of to get some get high money. The fact she wanted only cash sort of leans toward that.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I soon grow dour, which does none of us any good.
    'dour', adj. gloomy, sullen, stern, severe, stubborn.

A Dictionary is my friend.
    maniacmechanic likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

When solicitors of any variety arrive, I quickly tell them firmly but politely that I am the furthest thing from interested and to please leave.

Could be nothing, could be something. Unfortunately, you never know until you know. Better safe than sorry and all that jazz.

It also reminds me of a scheme that was going on a few years ago in my old neighborhood. There was a group of teens (females) that were going door to door claiming to be raising money for a local church's missionaries. They even took the time to draft up fake literature to seem legit. One of the doors they knocked on ended up being the pastor's home. He called the police and it turned out that the girls and their boyfriends came up with the idea to raise drug money.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post

Only if I can keep him lol
    ~Daniel Webster

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links