Cleaning Question

This is a discussion on Cleaning Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've had a Winchester 1300 Defender for almost 2 years. I've cleaned and lubed it every time I shoot it and keep it in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Question

Cleaning Question

I've had a Winchester 1300 Defender for almost 2 years. I've cleaned and lubed it every time I shoot it and keep it in a rifle case when it's at home. Despite that, the barrel is developing a lot of surface rust. There is a very noticable orange tint coming through the black finish and it's also rough to the touch. I have tried scrubbing the barrel down with all sorts of various gun cleaning products, but I can't seem to get rid of it. I can scrub all i want and make a white rag turn orange, but the rust persists. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can try. I'm half tempted just to buy a new barrel for it, but I'm willing to try just about anything to clean up the one I've got.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by njeske View Post
    I've had a Winchester 1300 Defender for almost 2 years. I've cleaned and lubed it every time I shoot it and keep it in a rifle case when it's at home. Despite that, the barrel is developing a lot of surface rust. There is a very noticable orange tint coming through the black finish and it's also rough to the touch. I have tried scrubbing the barrel down with all sorts of various gun cleaning products, but I can't seem to get rid of it. I can scrub all i want and make a white rag turn orange, but the rust persists. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can try. I'm half tempted just to buy a new barrel for it, but I'm willing to try just about anything to clean up the one I've got.
    Not sure how this would work on a barrel, but when my dive knife developed some odd surface rust I used some fine steel wool to clean it up.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    NOOOOO!

That's likely to take the finish right off the gun, and leave ugly squiggly marks as well!

I'm afraid I don't have the answer for you, but I feel I can state firmly that abrasives are not the way to go!

I used a green scrubbie on part of my Walther PPK once where some rust had appeared, and the stainless satin finish now shows the result of my foolishness. I can only imagine how much worse it would be on a black finish.

Quote Originally Posted by njeske View Post
    Hmmm... interesting.

You say you keep it in a rifle case when at home? There is a possibility your case is collecting condensation and rusting your barrel. Have you tried 0000 steel wool and WD-40? The steel wool and rust removing properties of the WD-40 removes the current layer of rust, while the moisture displacing properies removes whatever moisture is trapped on the surface (if any). When done, wipe WD-40 off, and apply gun oil on a rag like normal. Also, try keeping your shotgun out of it's case for a while and see if it is still deveoping rust.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    NOOOOO!

That's likely to take the finish right off the gun, and leave ugly squiggly marks as well!
    As I said I haven't used the fine steel wool on a barrel, but that would have to be really crappy finnish for it to react the way you've described.

Anyways whatever you try, test it in an out of sight area first.

Try this awesome product! The stuff is called Eezox and it truly works. This stuff kept the barrel of my Kel-tec rust free when nothing else would. It drys completely and leaves a silky finish on the firearm. Great for a ccw firearm. It stays on-will not rub off and it lubricates dry. I drink it sometimes.

Here it is on one of the many corrosion tests people have done: http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
    Here is their website: http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/pl-eezox.html
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    I drink it sometimes.
    Now that's a good way to get your iron.

Assistant Administrator
    Boeshield is another option - possibly similar to Eezox I don't know. Leaves a film somewhat like a thin wax layer which is pretty durable.

However - an old fave is RIG (rust inhibiting grease) - that too persists well and application of it will probably remove/mask your slight discoloration. I have seen this once on my 870 barrel.

For sure too - a rifle case may well not be best for storage - locked up moisture effects can occur easily.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Fine Steel Wool

The steel that steel wool is made of is softer in hardness than gun barrel steel. Buy 0000 0r 00000 grade.

It is not the same as an abrasive pad.

Buy the finest steel wool and and saturate a small piece of steel wool with Break Free CLP or in fact any fine oil. Even 3 in 1 oil will work fine.

Steel wool off the barrel which will remove the surface rust and will leave the remaining bluing or oxide black intact.

You might then want to touch up the rusted areas with Cold Blue and then as a final step buy a pure Carnuba Wax like Carnuba furniture paste wax ~ warm up the barrel with a blow dryer set on HOT - wax the barrel and then buff it with a soft cotton cloth.

I put packets of Silica Gel Crystals in my gun cases and gloves - many non-prescription drugs, or well as electronics and camera products come packed with Silica Gel packets. The Silica absorbs moisture and helps prevent moisture build up.

I use Silica Gel Crystals that is in a can. When the Silica turns pink, I put the can in the oven at 325f for three hours. This refreshes the Silica Gel Crystals.
    You can order a can through Sinclair.

VIP Member
    Sometimes a solvent/cleaner such as breakfree and a rotary nylon brush like on a dremel will take off rust, esp if pits are present. Also, a brass brush that will only hurt the rust. Probably need to get rid of that case and get a silicone gun sock.
    I use cotton cases my wife makes.

There is such a thing as brass wool, you can find it at like cabinet shops and high end wood work supply shops. It's kind of expensive, but it shouldn't damage your barrel like steel wool can. A shooting coach at school told me he uses it to get rust of the barrels of the NEF Pardners that get shot during Trap class, although I haven't tried it myself for firearms
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    There is such a thing as brass wool, you can find it at like cabinet shops and high end wood work supply shops. It's kind of expensive, but it shouldn't damage your barrel like steel wool can. A shooting coach at school told me he uses it to get rust of the barrels of the NEF Pardners that get shot during Trap class, although I haven't tried it myself for firearms
    Thanks I'm getting some of that.

Thanks for all the tips guys. In response to the question about moisture in the gun case, the shotgun actually accumulates rust faster when it's not in the case, so I don't think that's the problem. It may just be the air. Although Sacramento isn't known for consistently high humidity. I'll try some of the suggestions and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links