Residents seek private security to protect them

Residents seek private security to protect them

This is a discussion on Residents seek private security to protect them within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Several stories here: Violence in Oakland forces residents to seek private security - CBS News Baltimore Neighborhoods Look to Private Security - WBFF FoxBaltimore - ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Residents seek private security to protect them

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

But I thought that's what our tax dollars did with the police?
    TN_Mike likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

California
    Maryland
    New Jersey.

Common thread here.....

All three states have strict gun control laws.

It is not a coincidence.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Far too many PDs only fill out after-incident reports these days. They get pro-active and people complain about infringement on privacy and rights. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    4my sons, 357and40, SIXTO and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    No, the SCOTUS has already ruled that Law Enforcement has no duty to protect you or anyone else. They only investigate after the fact.

When are people going to recognize this and take responsibility for their own protection?
    synx, mook012, 006.9V2.1 and 4 others like this.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMOPE View Post
    California
    Maryland
    New Jersey.

Common thread here.....

All three states have strict gun control laws.

It is not a coincidence.
    Are you insinuating that criminals don't obey gun laws? Well dang, the libtards lied again.
    DaveInEdmonds and TN_Mike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40SCiinNC View Post
    When are people going to recognize this and take responsibility for their own protection?
    I would assume they would, if they could. The states mentioned are highly restrictive.
    Mike1956 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Generally, sure. The operative word being: generally.

But hardly on a schedule that matches the needs of many communities, or on a schedule that's anywhere near as sensitive to changes in neighborhood concerns. A neighborhood alliance and/or service is almost always going to be "better eyes" than police "over there" (some minutes away). Besides, the courts have upheld the concept that nobody has any legitimate expectation of being specifically protected by police services, that it's general community protection that such services provide. No surprises, there. IMO, we're all going to be better "eyes" on our own properties and with our own communities than anyone else not specifically tied to that community.

Glad to see more communities waking up. Now, if only every individual could wake up, realizing that merely subbing-out the service isn't necessarily enough. Everyone needs to be the eyes and ears in our communities, participating in (a) getting to know one another, (b) getting to know what's out of place, (c) cooperating closely with law enforcement where appropriate, and (d) protecting ourselves at all times. Do that, and we'll have much more secure communities.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No, the SCOTUS has already ruled that Law Enforcement has no duty to protect you or anyone else. They only investigate after the fact.

This statement is patently false. It's a commom extrapolation from a very specific, and limited ruling.
    SIXTO likes this.

What are the details, Spuk? I understood it to be no duty to protect any individual unless actually in their custody, only society in general.

On topic: Just like anti hunting people who eat meat - want to pay someone else to do the dirty work so they can feel superior.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    I understood it to be no duty to protect any individual unless actually in their custody, only society in general.
    NO AFFIRMATIVE DUTY TO PROTECT US

Police have no responsibility to protect individuals (reference)

Warren v. District of Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po...otus.html?_r=0
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Tongue-in-cheek, dude.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    I know in the article for Baltimore's Little Italy for many years had its own protection force it was the residents of that community that looked over each other . Now the neiborhood has changed and the old residents are dying off.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

LE are in awkward position and handicapped by the very nature of the job they do.

IF they try to be proactive more than just their presence patrolling and being seen, they are for the most part legally and constitutionally overstepping their legal authority. Stopping people doing nothing illegal, questioning, acting on hunches or gut feelings puts them into the realm of forming a police state. The majority of the public wont tolerate that for long.

They have no crystal ball so unless they see something happening in their presence then calls and complaints are the only way they have of knowing something illegal is happening. Add the time for a person to call it in, a dispatcher to dispatch a LEO, the officer to get to the scene and its very likely that whatever was happening is over or at very least the majority of damage is already done. Not their fault. They can only move so fast and be in so many places at once.

So yes they are mostly a clean up, make reports and investigate after the fact proposition.

Its the nature of that job. And no you cannot depend on LE to protect your life. Because 99.0 percent of the time you will be long dead before they arrive.
    sensei2 and bigpapa like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

A $300 Mossberg 500 will cost a lot less than a security detail.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links