Who needs a gun in a park?

This is a discussion on Who needs a gun in a park? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=5741994 Virginia Beach Police are investigating a bizarre incident that took place Tuesday afternoon in First Landing State Park shortly before noon. Police say a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who needs a gun in a park?

Post Who needs a gun in a park?

http://wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=5741994

Virginia Beach Police are investigating a bizarre incident that took place Tuesday afternoon in First Landing State Park shortly before noon.

Police say a woman was walking her dog on the trail through the park and was about 1/2 a mile from the visitor's center. She passed an older woman who was walking with her daughter. They exchanged greetings and then went their own ways.

A short while later, police said the dog came back to where the older woman and her daughter were walking, alone. They became concerned and went looking for the woman. They rounded a curve in the trail and came upon the woman, lying on the ground, struggling with a naked man who was on top of her., trying to remove her clothes.

The older woman began beating the man with a stick, while her daughter called police on her cell phone. The woman who was being assaulted ran away, and the older woman and her daughter started walking away too, when the naked man came after the daughter and tried to grab her cell phone. The mother then started hitting the assailant with the stick again, at which point the man turned on her and tries to snatch her eyeglasses off of her face. The daughter then managed to get the man off of her mother, at which point, police say, the man started singing and dancing in a circle.

Police arrived and the naked man started fighting with them, stricking one officer in the face and hitting another with a large stick. They finally manged to take the man into custody and took him to a hospital to be evaluated.

Detectives say that man is 33 year-old Jason Kurt Mintel of Virginia Beach. He is in jail charged with abduction, attempted rape, and two counts of assaulting a police officer. More charges are possible.

Charges are pending against the naked man.

None of the victims was seriously injured.

2. Remove Ads

Good job on the part of the Mother/Daughter team

certainly an odd story! "singing and dancing in a circle"

we have no park carry in Rochester...what a dumb law! ...of course...this from a city that bans handguns with magazines over 17 rounds and rifles with night vision devices so....

VIP Member
    Mother and daughter did a much better job of taking care of the BG than the TV station did of writing the story. Pet peeve of mine is the fact that news outlets don't bother to proofread their own stuff before putting it out for public viewing.

Police arrived and the naked man started fighting with them, stricking one officer in the face and hitting another with a large stick. They finally manged to take the man into custody and took him to a hospital to be evaluated.
    What is "stricking one officer in the face" mean? There is a verb to strick, but it doesn't go there. It means to scrape off the excess in a container to make the contents level with the top. I assume that they really meant "striking one officer in the face."
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Wow! For a bunch of journalists, typos are very prominent. Two of them in one paragraph! The news is still rather worthless in my opinion.

The story is bizarre. I think what the BG did seemed logical, though. Whenever someone confronts me, I always dance around in a circle and sing. Don't you guys?
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

In Texas we can carry with a permit in state parks. However we often go to National Parks such as Big Bend right on the border and your
    gun must be disabled when there. I hope Sen. Allens bill that would change that passes butt......

Senior Moderator
    aww come on...

everybody knows that "stricking", means to strike with a stick...

that dude was cetainly worthy of being shot...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

yeah and manged is managed... What gets me is that these people go through years of their life learning how to type, spell, write, and YES, even use spellcheck. However, when it comes to doing it, they are unsuccessful.

If they spend years of their life learning how to do all of this, how can we guarantee that the story is even half way accurate? If they don't have 3 seconds to run the spellcheck on it, how do I know they took the time to actually do an accurate investigation and report what happened?

P.S. I in no way hold most others accountable to spellcheck (just make sure it is roughly accurate). When you publish something, though, shouldn't it be the best?
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Assistant Administrator
    police say, the man started singing and dancing in a circle.
    Sounds like a wacko with a hormones excess. Musta been a real slack news day to publish that bizarre piece.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Great story.

I was getting all indignant, on the edge of my seat, waiting for someone to whack the BG, then I read:

"........the man started singing and dancing in a circle. Police arrived and the naked man started fighting with them, stricking one officer in the face and hitting another with a large stick."

I just had to laugh, serious though the deal clearly is.

Well, no carrying in parks is a bad idea.

But keeping whackos from guns is a good idea.......

Maybe the women will look into getting a CHP...this guy needed "two to the grape"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Forget learning how to spell... thems just words.

Learn how to use spell check.

Wish the mother daughter team would have been armed.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

+1 on SEN Allens' bill, you would be shocked at the degree of violent crime that takes place in out National Parks every year. Rangers are under staffed and quite frankly are aloof to any threats, man or animal.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I posted a stoy similar to this not too long ago about another guy in a park. I won't say that thread shouldn't have been deleted because it was just a liiiiittle more vulgar (by little, I mean a lot) than this. But as well it also took place in a park where concealed carry was prohibited.

I see a lot of good reasons for carrying in parks. If anything, dogs should be kept away from areas with kids. Guns don't get away from their owners and attack kids if they are somehow provoked. I can't recall the last time I was attacked and my gun ran away, trailing its leash.... though that would be a funny sight to see.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

What can I say, I was really drunk and there was this pagan festival, things just got a bit out of hand.....
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links