Shot for the first time

Shot for the first time

This is a discussion on Shot for the first time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all i shot for the first time, i went to the gun range this pass weekend i took the advice from some of you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Shot for the first time

Shot for the first time

Hello all i shot for the first time, i went to the gun range this pass weekend i took the advice from some of you guys out there, i tried a Glock 27 40 Cal, nice and compact but didn't like the recoil on it and couldn't get the feel for it or a good grip. so this weekend coming up i think im going back to shoot a different subcompact. any one have suggestion sub compact?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, any of them. Then buy the one you like best.
    oldman45 and PEF like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

thank you oldvet
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yeah, any of them. Then buy the one you like best.

Stay away from the subs for the time being, get used to shooting first. Then get into the sub compacts if you want. Shoot everything you can get your hands on, then pick the one YOU like the best...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Ditto. Start with a 9mm like the Glock 17 or the smaller Glock 19 which many carry concealed all the time.

thanks i will be doing exactly that
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Stay away from the subs for the time being, get used to shooting first. Then get into the sub compacts if you want. Shoot everything you can get your hands on, then pick the one YOU like the best...

yes im going to work on those next something a little more comfy then the 40 and once i get more into it and more experience then ill work my way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    Ditto. Start with a 9mm like the Glock 17 or the smaller Glock 19 which many carry concealed all the time.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonydatechnyc View Post
    thank you oldvet
    If you want advice on a new pickup, I'm here for you!

Really, no hint of what you like (other than sub-compact), no mention of hand size, caliber preference, etc. Go try some, get an idea of a couple you prefer, then ask for some thoughts on what you like.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

thanks will do
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you want advice on a new pickup, I'm here for you!

Really, no hint of what you like (other than sub-compact), no mention of hand size, caliber preference, etc. Go try some, get an idea of a couple you prefer, then ask for some thoughts on what you like.

See if you can find a gun show, then go hold every gun you can get your hands on to see how it "feels". This is important. If you didn't like shooting the .40, try some 9mm's. Have fun and don't rush the decision. Most of all, be safe!

I'm not sure how big of a selection your place has, but I'd try just about anything you can get your hands on. If you happen to be sensitive to recoil, try some compacts (or full size) instead of the subcompacts. Are you sticking to .40? I just ask because some feel it's a bit snappy, especially in a subcompact offering.

ETA: Welcome to forum!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I don't know how the OP expects a recommendation when we know nothing about them, aside from the info they're a first time shooter. I would expect something like '30 yo 5'10, male, 180lbs, recommend a firearm'. Since the OP thinks the recoil is too much (why, poor grouping, painful?) I'd suggest a full size or at least a compact. Try a S&W M&P .45 - almost negligible recoil. Bear in mind that a .40 has a known kick. Agree with others, go to a gunshow and dry fire a number of firearms and get a feel for grip and balance. In the end try a Glock 26, SC 9mm if you intend to EDC. Easy to shoot even for smaller females.

The latest Glock 19 comes with different back straps, I don't know if a range will let you try the different back straps, but I found they made a nice difference to the feel of my Glock.. Definitely try a 19, I love ,mine and its very easy to CC. I like the back strap with the beaver tail, it tilts the gun down slightly and gives me a more neutral feel when shooting.

Gary

To quote:
    The best carry gun you can have, is the one you actually carry...

As everyone has said, try many different firearms, preferably more than once, then find one that fits you and you feel comfortable with.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonydatechnyc View Post
    thank you oldvet
    Oldvet is giving some good advice. Guns are sooo subjective. Some will fit you better than others, and what fits Oldvet or me may not fit you.

I believe you can learn to shoot any gun well, but if there is a gun that fits with your particular ergonomic preferences, then that's where you should start. Unfortunately the only way you will know is if you try them. Usually the ranges have a variety of rentals.

I'd recommend a Shield in 9mm. I really like it. But you might hate it.

By the way, you really haven't shot a gun until you've shot a revolver. Just sayin'.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links