What's next? Revolver or shotgun?

This is a discussion on What's next? Revolver or shotgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I feel pretty content with my semi-auto selection for now though I do still want to get a Beretta Neos to fill in the .22 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What's next? Revolver or shotgun?

What's next? Revolver or shotgun?

I feel pretty content with my semi-auto selection for now though I do still want to get a Beretta Neos to fill in the .22 niche but I'll wait until I can find ammo for it. No rush there. At some point down the road I want a 1911 too but again that is something that can wait.

I'm saving up for my next gun purchase. I'm leaning towards either my first revolver or shotgun. Revolver wise I'm interested in the Ruger SP101 or LCR in 357. For a shotgun I'm interested in the Remington 870 or possibly a Mossberg. I'm curious... which direction would you go? I figure I can get a shotgun a lot sooner than a revolver but revolvers intrigue me.

2. Remove Ads

You can't go wrong here. Double action revolvers or pump action shotguns they do what they do. They just keep dropping the hammer when you pull the trigger. Easily found in adequate calibers or gauges. With history to make your heart swell. What is not to love?
    BeefyG likes this.

My priorities:
    Carry handgun
    Nightstand Handgun (can be the carry gun)
    12 gauge shotgun with #1 buckshot
    Semi-auto rifle in 5.56X45mm
    Semi-auto rifle in 7.62X51mm
    Rifle and handgun in .22 LR for fun plinking and hunting small game.
    Any other guns
    Last edited by LimaCharlie; August 20th, 2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
    BeefyG, NickBurkhardt and OD* like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

So far No. 1 buck can be hard to find but it can be found here: Ammunition Depot | Bulk Ammo Sales | Ammunition Online I put my carry gun (CZ-75) or(Sig P-220) on the bed stand at night and have my Mossburg 590 A-1 with beyonet attached leaning against my bed stand. However my S&W Mod. 66 is locked in the safe.

I think a shotgun might do you better either a Mossburg or the Remi 870. As far as the 870 good luck in finding a used one. That is why I got the Mossburg.
    BeefyG likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Shotgun. That way you can also shoot clay pigeons, which is an absolute blast!

Get a Judge or Governor and you have both in one package!

Actually, I'd go with a shotgun since it sounds like you already have multiple handguns. Everyone needs a long gun in their arsenal.
    DuckDodgers likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

Great choices you just named my fav two, SP and a 870 cant go wrong with either. I would say if you live in a really safe neighborhood to get the revolver if there have been any problems in your area I would go with the 870 nothing says leave me alone like a 12 ga. For the .22 think about the MK111 lots of fun to shoot an lots of aftermarket toys for it down the road.

Shotvolver!

That's a tough choice. I have an lcr in 357 and love it. I put boot grips on it, and can easily pocket carry. I'd say if that works for you and you don't yet have a pocket gun, that might be a very good choice. The sp101 is also excellent, and the longer barrel is good for 357. If i absolutely had to choose only one gun to own for the rest of my life, it would probably be a 3" or 4" sp101. Also, being able to shoot .38 special is a big plus.

That said, a 12 gauge pump is a very versatile weapon, and easily beats the stopping power of even the excellent .357 magnum. You really can't go wrong with either. I guess if you want to beef up home defense power, the shotgun, and if you want to expand your carry options, the revolver.
    BeefyG likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Part of the reason I'm reluctant to jump into revolvers is I have no idea what length barrel to get. I figure a snubby if I'm going to carry it otherwise I'm going to want a long barrel for a range gun but I don't know which I will really want. I've got a S&W Shield for my carry right now. I think I'm leaning towards the shotgun. At least I can change the barrel length on that if I want. I really really regret passing up the Dan Wesson .357 set my local pawn shop had a while back.

This one:

Remington 870 Express Tactical Shotgun, 12ga. With tax right at $400.

Remington 870 Express Tactical - Walmart.com

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post
    Part of the reason I'm reluctant to jump into revolvers is I have no idea what length barrel to get. I figure a snubby if I'm going to carry it otherwise I'm going to want a long barrel for a range gun but I don't know which I will really want. I've got a S&W Shield for my carry right now. I think I'm leaning towards the shotgun. At least I can change the barrel length on that if I want. I really really regret passing up the Dan Wesson .357 set my local pawn shop had a while back.
    Barrel length is tricky. You lose a lot of the oomph of 357 with a snub, and get massive muzzle blast, but it still outclasses any comparably-sized auto. You can get a vague idea from ballisticsbytheinch.com, but keep in mind that their barrel lengths don't compare directly to a revolver. They give numbers for a 2" barrel, but since they measure from the breech face, that has less than 1" of actual rifled barrel.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    revolving shotgun magazine add on XRAILbyRCI
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post

Revolvers with over a 4" barrel get unwieldy for concealed carry. Usually the longer the barrel, the more accuracy with a longer sight radius and more velocity of the bullet. I prefer a 4" for concealed carry, a 5" to 6 1/2" for open carry, a 6" to 8" for target shooting, and a 8" to 12" for hunting.
    BeefyG likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    If you want a revolver for carry and range use I would recommend a 4 inch Ruger GP100 or similar. If you can find a 4 inch Ruger Security Six in good shape and at a reasonable price grab it. If you want a shotgun for hunting or sporting use then the Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500 will do. For a home defense type of shotgun go with the Remington 870P or the Mossberg 590A1. If you want a high grade shotgun go for the Remington 870 Wingmaster. I am the type of guy who likes all steel revolvers so recommending the LCR would not be my cup of tea.

I second the 4" barrel length suggestion. Either S&W 686 or the Ruger GP-100 with a 4" barrel is you going to carry the gun concealed. Also no wood micarta grips they will print badly. Use the thinner Pachmyer or other rubber grips. But with you current array I think a shotie should be your next purchase.
    BeefyG likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links