How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners

This is a discussion on How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting! http://www.buzzfeed.com/stevefriess/...wners?s=mobile...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners

If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

VIP Member
    In what way, aside from presenting something everyone should already know in a way to make it appear sinister and secretive?
    OD* and Manderinobyebye like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Let me get this straight. An organization that has millions of memberships has a massive database with secret information that people voluntarily give them on the sign up form. Oh the humanity!
    OD*, 84160, NavyAirdale and 5 others like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OD*
    Any stupid thing they can think up to demonize the NRA and gun owners.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I think the difference it this is about a private organization collecting info about its members not the government. Unless I see more I don't see this any different than what Amazon or Google does every day.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Let me get this straight. An organization that has millions of memberships has a massive database with secret information that people voluntarily give them on the sign up form. Oh the humanity!
    Not necessarily, they ask states for information on permit holders, they ask for information on hunters. The state can then sell the list... or must in many cases, provide it via FOIA laws. Not every permit holder or hunter is a member of the NRA.

For the most part, the NRA uses that list, and it's power for our benefit. But, what if, one day... the DOJ came crashing into NRA headquarters and seized all the computers, phone records... Just like they did at AP?

Oh, there'd be a public hue and cry, just as there was when DOJ raided Associated Press... or would there?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Very much like the user I'd database behind this site?
    phreddy and msgt/ret like this.

The NRA is just one of many groups who use data mining to further their interests. Retailers, google, political parties and the list goes on.

I established a ups account a few days ago and they knew that I owned a particular year and model of a car. Shocked me. No secrets anymore.

Anyone in today's age that doesn't know this kind of thing occurs legally should read more news.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Not necessarily, they ask states for information on permit holders, they ask for information on hunters. The state can then sell the list... or must in many cases, provide it via FOIA laws. Not every permit holder or hunter is a member of the NRA.

For the most part, the NRA uses that list, and it's power for our benefit. But, what if, one day... the DOJ came crashing into NRA headquarters and seized all the computers, phone records... Just like they did at AP?

Oh, there'd be a public hue and cry, just as there was when DOJ raided Associated Press... or would there?
    Well to be quite honest, the DOJ already has a lot more information on me than the NRA does. NRA has basic membership information. The DOJ has firearm purchase info, firearm info, address, picture, finger and entire hand prints from both hands....Do people not get that the ones that own/buy and especially carry firearms LEGALLY, already have their number had by the government. The DOJ has more information on me than my mother ever had.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member

The DOJ will find no worthwhile information about me from the NRA database it doesn't already have access to through the State of Ohio.
    OD* and JDE101 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'll bet Gunbroker has a database too!
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The DOJ will find no worthwhile information about me from the NRA database it doesn't already have access to through the State of Ohio.
    Exactly my point... We scream about the registration of owners and guns on a national level... and seem to think it doesn't already exist... When, for the most part, it does...

Doesn't have everybody... but most of us are known commodities.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Exactly my point... We scream about the registration of owners and guns on a national level... and seem to think it doesn't already exist... When, for the most part, it does...

Doesn't have everybody... but most of us are known commodities.
    I don't scream about it for the reasons you described.
    William T. Sherman

NSA knows more about me than my wife of thirty-one years knows.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Always consider the source, folks. There's losers trying to sensationalize and scam on all sides of the political theatre for $$$$. We do all gun owners a disservice by posting this nonsense on forums like this. It is exactly the conduct scammers like "buzzfeed" are hoping for. Impressions and click-throughs.....that's the name of the game in today's Internet "news."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links