Gun cabinet recommendations

This is a discussion on Gun cabinet recommendations within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, Looking for input on a cabinet/safe to lock up my firearms. I have 2 children (6 &4). They are the main reason for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gun cabinet recommendations

Hi all,

Looking for input on a cabinet/safe to lock up my firearms. I have 2 children (6 &4). They are the main reason for securing them, as well as theft. Not too concerned with the 3,000 degree 1.5 hr rating stuff, just something I can lock them up in. I keep my defensive pistol in a Fort Knox pistol box (highly recommend it). Would like to keep within a $500-$600 budget. So, recommendations? Mechanical vs. electrical vs. keyed? Brands? I like the mechanical only function on my pistol box (simplex lock).

Thanks in advance for any info........

Sauce

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You'll get the amount of security that you pay for. Low end will keep the kids and low-end, spontaneous burglars out but not someone who's determined to get in and has time on their side. Googling "gun safes" will bring up a plethora of available safe. As for locking mechanisms, I will never trust an electronic lock, especially one without a mechanical backup--usually a key. A mechanical combo is secure but slow, and key locks are easier to violate, so it's going to be a matter of your choice.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think I'm gonna build my own.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    How many guns and what type? handguns v rifle/shotguns

costco has a gun safe in their warehouses right now that "holds" 24 guns for about $599.00. they have a bigger one for $799.00

I have never found that the safes hold as many guns as advertised unless you are really good at putting together puzzles.

The smaller of the two had an OK (not great) fire rating. I think 1400 degree for 30 minutes. It also had 3 sided bolt coverage. I think the lock was electronic though.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    How many guns and what type? handguns v rifle/shotguns

costco has a gun safe in their warehouses right now that "holds" 24 guns for about $599.00. they have a bigger one for $799.00

I have never found that the safes hold as many guns as advertised unless you are really good at putting together puzzles.
    I am a Tetris GENIUS! I fit 10 pistols in a 1.2 cubic foot safe on racks.
    phreddy and maniacmechanic like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

It really comes down to your requirements. For simple administrative security - keeping guns out of unauthorized hands - a key-locking cabinet like a Stack-On will suffice (but you need to maintain control of the keys). If you add theft protection on top of that, then you need more robust construction and the ability to anchor the safe to fixed structure.

I'll offer my standard comment regarding economical safes: check with a local moving and storage company about used safes. Just like pianos, safes are heavy and expensive to move and are often left behind when people move.

Lastly, both a friend and I bought substantial safes (different brands) around the same time a few years ago, and both suffered failures of the electronic locks within a month of taking delivery. We both now have the slow but reliable S+G mechanical locks.

By the way - welcome to the forum!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I would look for one of those ones on another thread in here that comes with 285 lbs of pot.

All kidding aside I agree with gasmitty. You need to find one that fits your requirements and preferably something that is simple.
    357and40 likes this.

VIP Member
    My main safe is a slow and reliable dial combo.

I then placed quick-access safes (bolted down and hidden) throughout the house.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Unlike it seems like many of the folks here I've had to learn to make do all my life where paying bills and buying my toys was concerned. But I grew up learning how to make do and adapt so it ain't all that bad. Heck my most valued firearm is equal to your budget for a new safe. Anywho my safe is a key lock deal. I live alone so kids aren't a consideration. I'm quite selective in who I call my friends and more importantly who I allow inside my house.

Keeping your arms secured from your children seems to be your primary consideration so I think a Homak safe would suit you fine. A Homak won't give you fire protection but it will keep tiny hands and inquisitive youngsters safe so long as you keep it buttoned up at all times. For myself I prefer a key lock or combination lock. As others have said here some flat out don't trust those electronic gizmos. I am of the same mind. If you have a large closet with locking door or the handyman skills to mount a lock on the door placing a safe inside a locked area increases the security of your arms and children both. There are also safes that are hidden away under beds, inside normal looking furniture found in living rooms or a den but these are rather extravagant in their pricing. Crack your knuckles and get out your Google Fu and hunt/search the net and in an hour or two you'll most likely have half a dozen different models to decide what will work the best for you considering your needs. Good Luck Grasshopper

Oh and BTW...Howdy Hay from WA state Today. I speak Tarheel too-do you??
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    I would look for one of those ones on another thread in here that comes with 285 lbs of pot.

All kidding aside I agree with gasmitty. You need to find one that fits your requirements and preferably something that is simple.
    What did you do with that other 15 pounds GlockerMan?? Just flippin' ya you know what Bro
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Check this one. It secures the weapons and meets California requirements.

Stack-On Tactical Security Cabinet-733874 - Gander Mountain

The price is reasonable and you won't get a hernia if you have to move it by yourself. It can be secured to the floor and walls if you want.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

This is a fairly good safe in that budget and has 12 locking bolts. Twice a year it goes on sale for either $599 or $649, I can't remember.

Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Online Store

Wow, thanks for all the info, suggestions and welcomes......good stuff. Noname762-I don't speak Tarheel, big city kid relocated to NC for 7 1/2 years now and living the dream here! I too will not buy electronically controlled safes. When I was researching for my pistol box, many youtube videos of these being overriden by different methods, drops, childs fingerprint openings etc. etc. Will probably go combination route most likely. Thanks again for the info and any more suggestions......Will let you know what I come up with.

Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My main safe is a slow and reliable dial combo.

I then placed quick-access safes (bolted down and hidden) throughout the house.

Same here.. I have my main gun safe for long guns and ammo bolted to the floor and wall. Good luck getting into that thing quick. I also have a decent size wall safe that's well hidden that contains other valuables and my main carry weapons.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

All I can relate is how we do it.
    We have small safes that lock available around the house they are secure for children and other but would not stop a thief very long. meant for short term like when you walk in the door and want to put put down . They are really not good for fast access if needed.
    Then secure storage very good fire protected safes, that is where any weapon not intended to be used goes.
    If it aint on the body it is locked up.
    However one brand I do not recommend anyone use is Homak they are unreliable fail to unlock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links