Is it me, or does Gander Mountain suck??!!

This is a discussion on Is it me, or does Gander Mountain suck??!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not a gun pro by any means, just got into them about 3 months ago, but I am starting to realize, the more ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Is it me, or does Gander Mountain suck??!!

Is it me, or does Gander Mountain suck??!!

I am not a gun pro by any means, just got into them about 3 months ago, but I am starting to realize, the more I learn about guns, that Gander Mountain sucks. I went looking for a Glock 23 gen 4 and found one at Fleet Farm for $579. Gander wanted 699! They said they would price match, but I am inclined to just go to Fleet and forget them. Then I brought in a brand new Kahr PM9. I say it was new because I have only shot 500 rounds through it before I had to send it back to Kahr. Kahr replaced the slide, the barrel, the recoil spring, and the night sights, so to me, this seems like damn near a new gun. I wanted to sell it so I could buy the Glock, and they told me they would give me $210 for it. ***? I bought it from them 2 months ago for $959! I feel like an idiot ever buying a gun from them now because I realize how bad they ripped me off on the Kahr in the first place. The lady behind the counter didn't realize it was a 9mm and didn't realize it had night sights until I said something. Then she bumped it up to $240. Why is she even the one estimating guns? I took my gun and left. Everything else in there is too high as well. $120 for electronic ear protection that Cabelas sells for $80, $40 for a 50 round box of .45, $1599 for my Kimber Ultra Carry CDP (Fleet had it for $1289), and the list goes on and on. So here is my question, as a newbie. Should I just ditch big box stores like Gander and Cabelas? I thought since they were high volume I would get better prices, kind of like the Walmart principal, but I dont think that is true. I need a LGS I think, but they are all a distance to travel for me. Just kind of wondering if I am alone in my feelings about Gander or if this is a known issue to you pros out there. Sorry for the vent, but I am pissed!

2. Remove Ads

It's not just you. Gander mtn. here in upstate N.Y. is the same way.

Yes GM sux. Ammo is too high. Guns are too high. I looked at a Taurus 38 the other day and it was a POS. The rep acted like it was the best thing on the planet. The cylinder would turn when I had it open. When I did force it to turn the cylinder looked out of round. It didnt feel like it was properly timed and it had a used look. Wasnt impressed. I was browsing and wasting as much of their time as I could. Did handle some really nice guns, at a really nice price.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

The big boxes sometimes get "too big" and forget how they got there. I would almost suggest asking them for the price match just to see them squirm, but I have a feeling you would be better off going to Fleet Farm and building a relationship with them. Gander has pretty much indicated they could care less if you do business with them or not.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by CCIE33560 View Post
    I am not a gun pro by any means, just got into them about 3 months ago, but I am starting to realize, the more I learn about guns, that Gander Mountain sucks. I went looking for a Glock 23 gen 4 and found one at Fleet Farm for $579. Gander wanted 699! They said they would price match, but I am inclined to just go to Fleet and forget them. Then I brought in a brand new Kahr PM9. I say it was new because I have only shot 500 rounds through it before I had to send it back to Kahr. Kahr replaced the slide, the barrel, the recoil spring, and the night sights, so to me, this seems like damn near a new gun. I wanted to sell it so I could buy the Glock, and they told me they would give me $210 for it. ***? I bought it from them 2 months ago for $959! I feel like an idiot ever buying a gun from them now because I realize how bad they ripped me off on the Kahr in the first place. The lady behind the counter didn't realize it was a 9mm and didn't realize it had night sights until I said something. Then she bumped it up to $240. Why is she even the one estimating guns? I took my gun and left. Everything else in there is too high as well. $120 for electronic ear protection that Cabelas sells for $80, $40 for a 50 round box of .45, $1599 for my Kimber Ultra Carry CDP (Fleet had it for $1289), and the list goes on and on. So here is my question, as a newbie. Should I just ditch big box stores like Gander and Cabelas? I thought since they were high volume I would get better prices, kind of like the Walmart principal, but I dont think that is true. I need a LGS I think, but they are all a distance to travel for me. Just kind of wondering if I am alone in my feelings about Gander or if this is a known issue to you pros out there. Sorry for the vent, but I am pissed!
    Did you go to the Blaine Gander Mtn?

Ok, clearly you are having trouble distinguishing new from used. Hey, I bought a new car for $24,000 just weeks ago and drove it for 5000 miles. Had to send it back to Ford for them to replace the alternator and AC pump but its just like new! You really think the dealer is going to give you anywhere near $24k for it? Um, no. The minute you drove it off the lot, its USED. The minute you fired your the first round in your gun, its USED. It may be LIKE new, but its NOT new.

Now I am not saying Gander was gonna give you a fair price for it. They were lowballing you at $240. But they buy low and resell them to make a profit. All businesses do. None of them are in business to do you a favor. They are in business to make money. LGS, Gander, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. Sooner you realize that the better you will be. The only way you are going to get near your new price is if you find someone to sell it to directly.
    CIBMike and discoboxer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCIE33560 View Post
    Dont take this the wrong way, but every retail store from guns to electronics does the same thing. That is why as a consumer we shop around to find the best price. Its the way the game works. Play it, benefit from it, but do not get mad over it....
    CIBMike and discoboxer like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    The Gander Mnt. here is high as well. They are very proud of their stuff. On average the tack on a 15% upcharge on their stuff. Most everyone else is like a 3%-8% up charge. There was a box of 124gr. 9mm FMJ's for over 20 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    The minute you fired your the first round in your gun, its USED. It may be LIKE new, but its NOT new.

Now I am not saying Gander was gonna give you a fair price for it. They were lowballing you at $240. But they buy low and resell them to make a profit. All businesses do.
    But I'll bet you'd see his used Kahr PM9 there for about $100 below new price, so yes they would make a profit...of something like $649 in profit. Oh, how can they stay in business by making such a measly profit like that?

Yes, find a local gun shop. A lot of them will price match as well, so shop around between a few when you are ready to buy.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

As far as trade in prices, oh they suck big time. At least the one in Jackson, TN, does.

As far as the rest goes...I like Gander Mtn. I like Cabelas better, but we have none in TN. Of course one reason I like Cabelas better is that sales tax here, with the additional "local option tax", is right at 10%. I can order from cabelas and always save 10%, generally even with shipping.

I am lucky to have a Fleet Farm 15 miles away. I have never found Gander anything but over priced
    NavyAirdale likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yep, totally un-impressed with GM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Went to our local GM once . . . I won't go there again.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I stopped shopping at gander mountain several years ago when they refused to transfer to me a saiga 7.62x39 which i had ordered from buds. The manager told me it was against store policy to transfer "military" firearms. All the while, dozens of ARs on the rack for sale. Not that an AR is a military firearm, neither is a saiga. Not really the point.

I say all that to say, they suck and I refuse to give them any business for any reason.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    SUPERCHEFNICK likes this.

It's not you. If not for the uneducated, or just plain stupid, Gander Mountain would have been forced out of the gun business long ago. They survive on idiots.
    Smitty901 and mkh like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links