Pulled Over by State Trooper

This is a discussion on Pulled Over by State Trooper within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was pulled over about 4am on the highway for a headlight out. I turned the dome light on, windows down and hands on wheel. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pulled Over by State Trooper

I was pulled over about 4am on the highway for a headlight out. I turned the dome light on, windows down and hands on wheel. When officer came up to the window and started to say why she pulled me over, I made my statement about CCL. Now this is where it gets interesting / funny. I am a restaurant manager and was carrying a very large pancake costume wrapped in a black vinyl bag in the back seat of my car. In the light, it looks odd, in the dark, it looks a little sinister, like a body bag. She flicked her flash light to the back and had a serious face, asking me what's in the back?

Now the pancake is called Chocolate Chip Charlie and we generally always refer to him as Charlie. But I didn't want to say, "Oh that's just Charlie." To a serious faced officer with her hand on her pistol. So I turned slightly so she could see my restaurant manager name tag and explained it was a pancake costume. The immediate relief in her face, made me release a long held breath. She took my DL and insurance and then set me on my way with a smile and a friendly reminder for the light, no ticket or anything.

Nice lady. I wish it was appropriate to friend state troopers that pull you over, we'd probably enjoy a day shopping or shooting together lol

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Glad it turned out good. Most state troopers, sheriffs I've ever encountered had a sense of humor. The ones that seem to have an attitude are the young local LE.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

No doubt in my mind.

Not to scold you but just a gentle reminder. When I had my CDL and drove truck for a living the federal DOT rules were many and quite mind boggling. Perhaps one of the most important AND safety conscious was the Pre Trip Check. A truck driver before he jumps in and goes about his/her day performs a 15 minute inspection after having pulled the hood open and checking all fluids and belts.

Walk down the side checking/looking at lights, air/brake lines, tires, rear tail and clearance lights, blinking turn signals, backup lights...the whole 9 yards. Back up at the front check those headlights for low/high beam, signals.

Been a pretty long time since I sat in an old Pete or KW. Even so every so often I do a walk around when I start my pickup. I check my headlights, signals and brake lights before I pull out. For you OP I'd say you were extremely fortunate. Pulled over by a Peace Officer at 0400 don't happen everyday in commie Amerika. Just something I saw once when I was buying a new headlight bulb. A pair of headlight bulbs in a package was cheaper than buying one headlight bulb times 2 (2 singles). I'm a thrifty sucker so that's what I did. When I sold that truck I still had a spare headlight bulb in the glove compartment.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    No doubt in my mind.

Not to scold you but just a gentle reminder. Perhaps one of the most important AND safety conscious was the Pre Trip Check. A truck driver before he jumps in and goes about his/her day performs a 15 minute inspection after having pulled the hood open and checking all fluids and belts.

Back up at the front check those headlights for low/high beam, signals.
    Not to scold you but just a gentle reminder, headlights don't always burn out at home while the car is in the driveway or garage. I'm not sure I'd try to change one at in the parking lot of a restaurant at 4AM. Doing this in a dark place at that time of day is asking for trouble as your situational awareness would be about zero as you're fumbling to get the light changed out. I'll take my chances with a cop.
    knight65, Brad426 and Snub44 like this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Not a criticism, just curious... Do you have a duty to inform you are carrying in your sate?

I am a territory salesman and I drive a lot.

I have been pulled over quite a bit for speeding. Just a little not like 90 in a 25 usally running 80 in a 75.
    Anyway, Oklahoma State Troopers have always been the most professional and never have I had one get nervous when I notified them I was carrying.

Tulsa PD and small town police on the other hand have become noticeably nervous at times and a couple of them over reacted in my opinion.

I am bound by law to inform I am carrying.

I also know if I wasn't speeding I wouldn't be getting pulled over.

One State Trooper saw my Colt GC in it's holster under the steering wheel and he really wanted to look it over but when I asked him if he wanted to see it he said no.

I'm in Ohio. We have to inform we have a CCL whether we are carrying or not.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good stop.

I guess it's a good thing for you that no one had sprayed Charlie down with raspberry syrup!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
    I am bound by law to inform I am carrying.
    This really stokes my coals! Just another infringement on your rights. Law enforcement can legally lie to get you to divulge information during an interrogation, yet you are forced to give your carry status unsolicited! I am lucky, WI has no duty to inform. It should be that way for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HAGJewels View Post
    I just re-read Ohio law, I'm not a lawyer but I believe you are incorrect about that. The way I read 2923.16 is that you must inform only if you are carrying and/or have a gun in the vehicle, which makes a lot more sense, well as much as any must inform laws make, which is none whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I just re-read Ohio law, I'm not a lawyer but I believe you are incorrect about that. The way I read 2923.16 is that you must inform only if you are carrying and/or have a gun in the vehicle, which makes a lot more sense, well as much as any must inform laws make, which is none whatsoever.

You are correct...and it is a CHL, not a CCL.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    Agreed.

2923.16 (E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following: (1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
    You are correct...and it is a CHL, not a CCL.
    In Florida it is CCW, but I've seen it called pretty much everything except maybe ABC.

Quote Originally Posted by HAGJewels View Post
    That makes about as much sense as informing that you have a fishing license when you aren't fishing.
    knight65 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    This really stokes my coals! Just another infringement on your rights. Law enforcement can legally lie to get you to divulge information during an interrogation, yet you are forced to give your carry status unsolicited! I am lucky, WI has no duty to inform. It should be that way for everyone.
    Stokes your coals huh?? Were you a Blacksmith or Farrier in a previous life? You're hilarious!! Ain't that the truth?? They can look you in the eye and Lie Thru Their Teeth to us but if we get caught fudging we are nailed to the wall and crucified!! And it's ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY even before America started turning into AMERIKA with King Obummer at the helm.
    knight65 likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links