That time of year again

This is a discussion on That time of year again within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well pulled most of the Glock mags for the 19 that I could find. Time to check springs remark the body with name and number ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: That time of year again

VIP Member

That time of year again

Well pulled most of the Glock mags for the 19 that I could find. Time to check springs remark the body with name and number them for reference, install a new recoil spring, check the defensive ammo and test fire.

I do this about three times a year except for the recoil spring which is changed when needed. This is in addition to monthly maintenance.

Three mags without a hitch now back in the holster.

glock changeout.jpg
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    By my count that's 10, including the one in use.

Someone should start a new thread: 10 G19 Magazines, Way Too Many, Not Enough, or Just Right?

VIP Member
    LOL. I pick them up from different places. My last two contracts I carried Glock 19's so I purchased more and had them sent over.

They were a pain to get back though. You can never have enough.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    By my count that's 10, including the one in use.

Someone should start a new thread: 10 G19 Magazines, Way Too Many, Not Enough, or Just Right?
    10 or 12 seem about the right number to have! At least, that's how many fit comfortably in the one side pocket of my range bag, so it must be about the right number.
    JTNiggle and nontechguy like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    That's funny. I just did the same thing this weekend.

As for the number of magazines, you can never have too many. Right now for my G19 I have 16 range/competition magazines and six "social" magazines with three spares that have been function checked but are otherwise brand new.

They just kind of ... accumulate.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    At one time I planned on having 1 mag for each pair of shoes my wife had in the closet. Then I realized the house wasn't big enough for that many magazines!
    nontechguy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Yep I know that feeling. I am about to do the same thing to the AR it will take awhile for those mags.

I have some HK AR mags coming it will be interesting to see how much better they are.

Yup. You can't have too many. I'm a little short there.
    5 - 15 rounders
    5 - 17 rounders
    1 - 33 rounder.

SO FAR

I might just buy a few 10 rounders in case I go where that's all I'm "allowed" to carry.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Yup. You can't have too many. I'm a little short there.
    5 - 15 rounders
    5 - 17 rounders
    1 - 33 rounder
    I had a 33 rounder once. It would not feed. At all. Wound up throwing it away. Perhaps bad brand? Anyway, I felt really silly up there at the firing line with that thing sticking way down out of the bottom of the grip.

Also, I have only a couple 15 round mags left (they tend to disappear at the range even though they are engraved with my name) and wind up using the 10's so I don't have to try to remember which mag is in the gun when keeping count of how many shots I've fired before time to reload. We sometimes have a penalty if you let your gun run dry during a course of fire, plus if that happens it takes me longer to reload because there is a *** factor involved...........
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    I had a man ask me, not from this site, about labeling and numbering my mags.

I explained the numbering was simply to track a bad mag or to rotate the mags over long periods of time and as far as the name on them to keep folks from grabbing my mags at training. He then asked if my carry mags had my name on them to. When I replied yes he was astonished and stated "I would never do that, they would find the magazine at the scene of a shooting and the police would know who you were".

My response was simply "They will already know who I am at the scene of a shooting because hopefully I will be standing there when it is over". I guess his intention was to shoot and scoot and not worry about whatever happened next.

Went thru this a couple of weeks ago. Good reminder to check and make sure everything is in good working order...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I had a man ask me, not from this site, about labeling and numbering my mags.

I explained the numbering was simply to track a bad mag or to rotate the mags over long periods of time and as far as the name on them to keep folks from grabbing my mags at training. He then asked if my carry mags had my name on them to. When I replied yes he was astonished and stated "I would never do that, they would find the magazine at the scene of a shooting and the police would know who you were".

My response was simply "They will already know who I am at the scene of a shooting because hopefully I will be standing there when it is over". I guess his intention was to shoot and scoot and not worry about whatever happened next.
    LOL. He takes being prepared for any situation to a whole new level!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm down to one gun magazine. I let all the other subscriptions expire.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm down to one gun magazine. I let all the other subscriptions expire.
    You have to have something to line the bottom of the bird cage.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I had a 33 rounder once. It would not feed. At all. Wound up throwing it away. Perhaps bad brand? Anyway, I felt really silly up there at the firing line with that thing sticking way down out of the bottom of the grip.

Also, I have only a couple 15 round mags left (they tend to disappear at the range even though they are engraved with my name) and wind up using the 10's so I don't have to try to remember which mag is in the gun when keeping count of how many shots I've fired before time to reload. We sometimes have a penalty if you let your gun run dry during a course of fire, plus if that happens it takes me longer to reload because there is a *** factor involved...........
    All mags are factory Glock. I haven't tried the 33 yet. Just got it. Mostly just because.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links