took a buddy gun shopping for his first pistol.

This is a discussion on took a buddy gun shopping for his first pistol. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; so i got a longtime friend who has been on the fence about gun ownership for a decade now, he enjoys shooting them but has ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By technomonster
  • 1 Post By Snub44

Thread: took a buddy gun shopping for his first pistol.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

Wink took a buddy gun shopping for his first pistol.

so i got a longtime friend who has been on the fence about gun ownership for a decade now, he enjoys shooting them but has never owned his own gun. yesterday he came to visit and i took him to the four largest guns shops in the area to check out pistols. he ended up deciding on a Walther P99 AS and we went to range today to break it in. 50 flawless rounds down range and he seems happy with the purchase

so my buddy is not anti gun but him and his family was never big into guns. the guns they had just sat in the safe after grand pa passed away. recently his mom and sister showed considerable interest in learning to handle a gun for SD at home and maybe CC so i have been teaching them about safety, how a gun works and some basic skills. they have a large wooded area and we would go out back to shoot off a few rounds. we are looking to take them to the LGS sometime so they can pick out a gun for themselves.

a little background on my buddy, i have known him since high school. probably the most mild tempered person i know. he grew up in a house with a bunch of guns that his grand pa had passed down to them and has fond memories of shooting with his grand pa as a child. after grand pa passed away the guns went into storage and there they sat for 20 plus years, once or twice we have brought them out to look at and oil but never shot any of them except the 10-22. most of times we would just shoot my guns or we would go to the range and rent something.

a few months ago we decided to photograph, inventory, test out all of grand pas guns and give them a good cleaning, we took the guns out, there were more then we thought, 20 plus guns. a few really old wheel guns and tiny autos, a few large revolvers in nice condition. a few .22s and shotguns and a marlin 30-30 lever gun plus a commander sized 1911. and a bunch of 20 plus year old ammo.

a couple of the revolvers were way old (around 100 years maybe?) and worn out so we just cleaned and oiled them for storage. the other guns worked so we shot the old ammo and bought new stuff. there was just one that we did not really care for and did not have any collector value, a .40 Ruger p90 in DAO. we decided that we would sell it at the LGS and buy a new gun that he would like to have.

so originally he wanted something that wasn't designed specifically to kill people, he feels that there is a bad connotation in owning a device made to hurt other human beings. yes many use pistols for sporting but really they are designed to be carried for SD (which i obviously support) and events like IDPA and IPSC are based on the combat aspect of handguns, shooting at a human shaped target. he wanted a long gun, something pretty with wood and blued steel, we looked at a few rifles and shotguns, for a moment there he was interested in the Circuit Judge. made by Rossie i think, a revolver carbine in .410/45 LC but never went through with the purchase. i was able to warm him up to the idea of owning a handgun. he did always like shooting a pistol more then the rifles. so he started to do research, reading the reviews. i recommended a dozen or so popular guns and we went to different stores to check them out, have him hold them and dry fire them to test out the trigger feel. rented a few and fired them at the range. he wanted to spend around 600. it come down to the SIG 2022 and the Walther P99 AS. both in 9 mm. we stayed till closing time and he finally made up his mind, started to fill out paper work 5 min after close and we walked out of the place 30 min pass close with his new pistol and 400 rounds i kinda felt bad for the clerk but hay at least we bought something.

he is interested in a holster for range use, we looked at a few at the LGS and i sent him links to some holster makers both production and semi custom. i'm hoping that it would to warm him up to the idea of getting his CHL after he gets comfortable with carrying a gun around his property. he is indecisive and i want to give him a nudge. any recommendations? not just for him but also my many friends who have been flirting with the idea of having a gun for protection, i want to promote the carrying of guns by good people it would be a big plus if this leads to an entire family to get their CHL.

sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by technomonster; August 26th, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
    Snub44, 357and40 and sonnycrocket like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

...great job winning him over...sounds like a caring person who wouldn't want to see someone he cared for get hurt...he could be a part of that not happening...I'd try that...
    technomonster likes this.

VIP Member
    Good on ya.....

I would do some of the leg work for him. I would find a good, local to him, CCW class that had opening coming up. Let him know where it is, who it is, and give him the phone number. Let him know that it would be good to learn the gun laws from a professional, that he would get good answers to any questions he has, and that he doesn't have to get a carry permit if he does the class., but at least it will be done if he gets a permit later.

VIP Member
    I especially like new gun owners, since they've invested their own money they now have a "dog in the hunt" regarding 2A issues. The more the merrier!

Good job on helping your friends out.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good that you got him off of the fence about ownership.

Please don't take this as insulting your friend, but from only what you have written about him so far, he doesn't sound like the sort of man that could pull the trigger if the need arose to protect himself or his family.

Being able to use a firearm for self defense is a whole other mindset than punching holes in paper. Stopping and possibly killing another human being is really something your friend should give some thought to and ask himself if that is something he would be able to morally do if he had to.

Glad he chose the Walther. It's a fine handgun and they always have been.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Please don't take this as insulting your friend, but from only what you have written about him so far, he doesn't sound like the sort of man that could pull the trigger if the need arose to protect himself or his family.

Being able to use a firearm for self defense is a whole other mindset than punching holes in paper. Stopping and possibly killing another human being is really something your friend should give some thought to and ask himself if that is something he would be able to morally do if he had to.
    none taken. i agree, mind set is more impotent then hardware, the willingness to fight is paramount. and we have been taking about this with increased frequency. i do think that if it became necessary he would be willing and capable of SD with deadly force. i think over the years his concern has shifted from a moral one to a legal one. like many, he feels that one would be more easily justified in SD in the home then in public. with current Ohio law that is true, and i think it is agreed that the public is more accepting of a dead BG in ones home then dead BG on the side walk. and that, would be the biggest jump for him to make, from being a gun owner to a CHL holder. baby steps. he went from not really wanting a gun to wanting a long gun an then to wanting a handgun. buying his first pistol is a big step and now he wants a holster for range use. i think we're making good progress. he did buy some premium JHP at the store and not just range rounds.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

One step at a time. Way to be a good friend and not push so hard you turned him to the other side of the fence.

Keep up the good work.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Good for you man. It's always fun introducing people to things they never thought they would enjoy

Links