Question for 1911 aficionados

This is a discussion on Question for 1911 aficionados within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's time to start Christmas shopping. With four grown children, the price of the toys have gone up some, but I'm looking to spend about ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 1 Post By flphotog
  • 1 Post By jca1

Thread: Question for 1911 aficionados

Question for 1911 aficionados

It's time to start Christmas shopping. With four grown children, the price of the toys have gone up some, but I'm looking to spend about $500 each.

One of my sons is a big 1911 fan and a WWII buff. He is just starting shooting a few months ago and took to it right away. I bought him a 1911-22 that he loves. He's been talking about getting a real one so I thought about getting him a war era 1911 but those are over my budget by a ways. (I'm seeing those on gunbroker.com for around $1700.00).

Auto-Ordnance has a 1911 that they call "1911PKZSEW -- Auto-Ordnance "WWII Parkerized" with U.S. Logo Wood Grips"

It is pretty cool and has "US ARMY" stamped in the slide. (I tried to attach a picture but it didn't work.) Aesthetically, I think he'd love it. I've seen them go from $450-$700 so I'm thinking that I should be able to find one in my budget. I'm wondering what you think of this gun, or if you have any other suggestions for a 1911 / WWII fan?

2. Remove Ads

bnr-1911pkzsew.jpg

Here is the picture.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob2.0 View Post
    It's time to start Christmas shopping. With four grown children, the price of the toys have gone up some, but I'm looking to spend about $500 each.

One of my sons is a big 1911 fan and a WWII buff. He is just starting shooting a few months ago and took to it right away. I bought him a 1911-22 that he loves. He's been talking about getting a real one so I thought about getting him a war era 1911 but those are over my budget by a ways. (I'm seeing those on gunbroker.com for around $1700.00).

Auto-Ordnance has a 1911 that they call "1911PKZSEW -- Auto-Ordnance "WWII Parkerized" with U.S. Logo Wood Grips"

It is pretty cool and has "US ARMY" stamped in the slide. (I tried to attach a picture but it didn't work.) Aesthetically, I think he'd love it. I've seen them go from $450-$700 so I'm thinking that I should be able to find one in my budget. I'm wondering what you think of this gun, or if you have any other suggestions for a 1911 / WWII fan?
    The 1911PKZMA is a better rendition of a WWII M1911A1 with it's plastic stocks.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I agree, I have that one and it is a great gun for the price. The sights aren't great but they are original. Never had any kind of problem with it.

Lead Moderator
    Springfield armory also makes a "GI" model .
    varob likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Is used vs new an issue? My best and favorite is an old Colt Mark IV Series 70 Gov. Still going strong. I managed to snag it in a pawn shop probably going on 12 years ago on the cheap. Only needed basic mtce(springs etc...)
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'd prefer used--going back to WWII if possible! Even one that needed repair would be fine. Just to give him something from that era that he could take to a gunsmith and get fixed would be awesome. If I can't have that, then something newer with that military link to it. This one has US Army stamped in the side so I know my son would dig it.

You need to find one mm made by Singer, now that would be a nice present.
    jca1 likes this.

Love my Umarex Commander 1911 525.00 Lifetime warranty.
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Umarex USA|Regent

This is the exact one I have. Jim
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

The Rock Island Armory 1911s are tight, reliable, and accurate for around $500.00. The come with a lifetime warranty.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Recently, some vendors were selling WWII era 1911's for a very low price. They weren't US issue War guns...they were some kind of overseas police guns if I remember right...but they were the same thing. I'm sure they won't be pretty and honestly they've probably all been bought cause I think they were around $500. Next you might just look at GI models from Springfield Armory but I imagine any 1911 will be loved and cherished by your son, for a lifetime. If you cannot find a good used GI model (not a WWII model) then he might be really happy with a $500 layaway deposit on a new Colt. When he's an old man he'll have both his first real gun that Dad gave him and a gun that will be very valuable.
    Bob2.0 likes this.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Links