Need help with ID'ing 3 guns, one really old

This is a discussion on Need help with ID'ing 3 guns, one really old within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This might be a bit hard to do because I don't have but so much info and nothing to take a pic with. # 1 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Need help with ID'ing 3 guns, one really old

Distinguished Member

Need help with ID'ing 3 guns, one really old

This might be a bit hard to do because I don't have but so much info and nothing to take a pic with.

# 1 - this guns is very old - nothing on it (revolver) except the letter L under the trigger and the trigger part is brass. This gun has an octagon shaped barrel very pronounced inside and out, and is really long, from hammer to end I measured 10-11 inches. Wood on the handle and it is short, just 3". Something weird on this gun is where the bullets are kept (each hole in the round bullet part), on the back side there are little brass pins? It's so rusty I can't get it to open but I got a real good feeling this gun goes back a long, long time. I declare with the exception of the brass around the trigger this gun looks to be made of iron like an old horse shoe? The sight is very small, about the size of half a pencil eraser and located about a quarter inch from the end.

# 2 - It's a Smith (my fav) .38 revolver. Can't see all the info when it's open except the numbers 97761 and I think it has something like MOD 10 - 8 but the last part I can't see that well (am using a magnifying glass). Black gun with wooden handle that is textured in part and the sight is like a ski slope.

# 3 - I can read Valor and it has 22 short on it (2" snub), tiny gun! Gersienberger in tiny letters near the hammer. 163058 & 163U56 (not 100% on the last numbers, hard to read). Ok, I see Made in Germany on it. Heck, this could have been my great granddaddy's since that is where one of my grandaddys is from.

What can any of you tell me about these guns? They are family guns I'm not suppose to know where they are because of course I will want them!
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Need pics, Sis. #1 is some sort of black powder cap & ball revolver. There were several brands and a bunch of different models though. It sounds very interesting.

...first one is an old cap and ball revolver...the powder and ball load into the front hole in the cylinder...a small primer cap goes over the pin you describe...the hammer hits the pin and a primer solution just like inside a .22 shell flares, igniting the powder..I understand the octagon or hexagon outside of the barrel, but the hole IN the barrel should be round...pictures would help us help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    This might be a bit hard to do because I don't have but so much info and nothing to take a pic with.

# 1 - this guns is very old - nothing on it (revolver) except the letter L under the trigger and the trigger part is brass. This gun has an octagon shaped barrel very pronounced inside and out, and is really long, from hammer to end I measured 10-11 inches. Wood on the handle and it is short, just 3". Something weird on this gun is where the bullets are kept (each hole in the round bullet part), on the back side there are little brass pins? It's so rusty I can't get it to open but I got a real good feeling this gun goes back a long, long time. I declare with the exception of the brass around the trigger this gun looks to be made of iron like an old horse shoe? The sight is very small, about the size of half a pencil eraser and located about a quarter inch from the end.

# 2 - It's a Smith (my fav) .38 revolver. Can't see all the info when it's open except the numbers 97761 and I think it has something like MOD 10 - 8 but the last part I can't see that well (am using a magnifying glass). Black gun with wooden handle that is textured in part and the sight is like a ski slope.

# 3 - I can read Valor and it has 22 short on it (2" snub), tiny gun! Gersienberger in tiny letters near the hammer. 163058 & 163U56 (not 100% on the last numbers, hard to read). Ok, I see Made in Germany on it. Heck, this could have been my great granddaddy's since that is where one of my grandaddys is from.

What can any of you tell me about these guns? They are family guns I'm not suppose to know where they are because of course I will want them!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    #1 - Sounds like an old pin-fired gun. Anything remotely like this? If so, it's loaded! Rare, ammo is non-existent. Could have some value--maybe.

Pinfire cartridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#2 - sounds like a Model 10-8 .38 special. Nice gun if in useable condition.

#3 - Maybe like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=gers...w=1254&bih=538
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...second one is a S&W Model 10---.38 spl...the black color is called bluing...the ramp front sight says it's probably post WWII, since it's not a clunky old Ruger, we have some guys who can help you figure out its age...
    GhostMaker likes this.

...when I click on the link, it shows me your whole collection...you certainly do have some (choke gasp) revolvers, there...if her #1 was a pinfire, it's loaded...the pins are in the cartridges...bet she's got "pins" coming from the top of the cylinder...cap and ball...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    #1 - Sounds like an old pin-fired gun. Anything remotely like this? If so, it's loaded! Rare, ammo is non-existent. Could have some value--maybe.

#3 - Maybe like this?

#2 S&W Model 10 38 special,very popular carry gun with police agencies before Glock-Mania hit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    I found a pic on the net: pictures of cap and ball revolvers - Yahoo! Search Results

If the link works, then out of the 5 guns, it is identical to the one in the middle, long with some kind of weird screw in the middle of the wooden handle

NOte, checked the link, You will have to click on the squar pic of the 3 guns in the upper right when you get to the page, then that pic will then show 5 guns. It's the middle one.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...second one is a S7W Model 10---.38 spl...the black color is called bluing...the ramp front sight says it's probably post WWII, since it's not a clunky old Ruger, we have some guys who can help you figure out its age...
    Wonder what's its worth? I see a bill of sale where my Mom paid $200 for it but I'm sure it was a long time ago.

~ Jesus ~

...hexagon...that gun is a cap and ball...could possibly have some value...depending on its condition...not a shooter like your S&W...how long is the barrel on the S&W from front end of barrel to front of cylinder?
    I found a pic on the net: pictures of cap and ball revolvers - Yahoo! Search Results

If the link works, then out of the 5 guns, it is identical to the one in the middle, long with some kind of weird screw in the middle of the wooden handle

NOte, checked the link, You will have to click on the squar pic of the 3 guns in the upper right when you get to the page, then that pic will then show 5 guns. It's the middle one.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

#3 - Maybe like this?

How can #1 be loaded, I don't see anything in the hole? What year did these cap and ball guns come from? Like, about how old?

On the # 3, the pics are close but non had the word Valor in the round dot on the handle

I'm not on my computer so posting pic's I think it could be like is not working out.

~ Jesus ~

Wonder what's its worth? I see a bill of sale where my Mom paid $200 for it but I'm sure it was a long time ago.
    ...in good condition, if it's a snub (2"), it's worth closer to $500 in today's market...a 4" is worth $400...in good condition...at that price she could have bought it as far back as the 80s...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...hexagon...that gun is a cap and ball...could possibly have some value...depending on its condition...not a shooter like your S&W...how long is the barrel on the S&W from front end of barrel to front of cylinder?
    4" barrel. Looks like mint condition, has a very sturdy holster with it and I'm thinking probably was LEO gun?!

(I'm sneak'in, my Deddy don't know I know where these guns are....Momma showed me )

~ Jesus ~

How can #1 be loaded, I don't see anything in the hole? What year did these cap and ball guns come from? Like, about how old?

On the # 3, the pics are close but non had the word Valor in the round dot on the handle

I'm not on my computer so posting pic's I think it could be like is not working out.
    ...it's not loaded, those pins are where you put the caps to fire it...take a flashlight and see if anything's in the holes in the front of the cylinder or can you see light coming through the holes...it was common to load the powder and ball and leave it, putting the caps on when ready to carry or fire it...*

*...looking into the front of the cylinder is NOT how you check a MODERN revolver to see if it's loaded...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_1851_Navy_Revolver

4" barrel. Looks like mint condition, has a very sturdy holster with it and I'm thinking probably was LEO gun?!

(I'm sneak'in, my Deddy don't know I know where these guns are....Momma showed me )
    ...millions of the M10 were issued/carried by LEOs, I've had a couple...I'd keep it for a shooter...you won't find a better one today...oughta last you several generations if taken care of...but first you gotta talk Daddy out of it!!!

...if it's gonna stay in the leather holster for storage, oil it all over lightly and wrap it in Saran Wrap...the acids in the leather won't attack the bluing that way, and moisture won't gather in the leather and powder rust the gun...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links